By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Third Party Devs have made up their minds about the Wii.

Johann said:

But it does get 3rd party support. And that's my point.

So the HD consoles get their 3rd party support and the Wii gets its 3rd party support (which according to charts, sells more).

See? 3rd party software all around. The market remains competitive. Isn't that good?

Now if like Khuutra said, you want the same kind of support the HD consoles have, you should... I don't know, buy one?

Go back and look at the list of 09 games from third parties in this thread, and tell me they put the same sort of effort into Wii games as they do the HD consoles. The fact that there are the rare exception does not mean that the Wii gets strong support. Support is not just measured in the number of games you get, nor is it measured in the resultant sales of said exceptions. It's measured in effort and investment.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Around the Network
Demotruk said:
cAPSLOCK said:
I'd like to see them go back to treating 3rd parties like trash. Only allow 2 games per publisher per year, only now no satellite publishing to get around the rule. See how much shovelware they make when they only get 2 shots at that sweet, sweet playerbase per year.

If their game is good and performs well, they get to make 1 addition game the next year.

Maybe Nintendo was right in the NES/SNES era in that regard.

The fact that they did this in the past is the reason many third parties are not fond of Nintendo, and partly why they're reluctant to support them.

is this a bad thing? is nintendo struggling without the godly third parties?

come try out the computer game i've been working on for my high school senior project, titled sling ball. http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=76669&page=1

you can view a few screenshots from the game in my photo album here; http://www.vgchartz.com/photos/album.php?album=2312

yes, this is vonboy's alt account. i can't log into my original account, and i'm not sure if i will ever be able to.

Proud Member of the Official Yoshi Fan Club!.

Khuutra, I see what you're saying. Basically don't burn any bridges, try to build relationships and get good games.

Maybe I'm being a little mean about the whole 3rd party thing.

Here's what gets me about the whole situation: There has never been a faster selling console in video game history. Not since the NES have video game consoles had any real main stream attention. Not only is this the fastest selling console, but the development costs are lower than their HD counterparts.

Also, Nintendo has done a lot to reach out to 3rd parties this generation. They've opened up and showed that they're willing to support them. They've offered Nintendo developers go out and visit and provide insight or any consulting help they may need, offer marketing packages for particularly good games.

And so far what has been the response by the rest of the industry? Ridicule. Doomsaying every single year. Being told that they "don't count" and this generation is about 2nd and 3rd place. Not only have they passed up on good 3rd party games, but they've been agressively passed up, as the OP shows. On top of all that the rest of the industry has actively encouraged a culture of outright hostility towards their most gifted son.

This is probably why I would make a shitty business person. There's only so many times you extend your hand and it gets bit or ignored or shit on before you finally clench a fist.

So in terms of seeing it as an economic war, I'd wage it pretty drastically. I'd hire a few guys to go around to 3rd parties. Charts drawn in with crayons, the occasional backwards "R" for that extra simple look, and say in the most condescending possible tone "since you're far too incompetent to make any worthwhile games for our system, we're only allowing 2 games per year for your entire publishing umbrella, this way you don't taint our reputation any more than you already have"

Then I'd advertise on TV more, become much, much more friendly with retailers, and basically find every single way I could sidestep the industry and find popularity outside their circle.

Then again, my company would also die within a generation :P But at least I'd go out guns blazing!

So, is my idea a horrible, stupid one? Hell yes! Would it be hilarious? Hell yes!

But back to the heart of it: the lack of third party support, especially given how fast Wii is selling, is definitely disturbing and could very well be a sign of how things are just going to be for Nintendo from here on out.

famousringo said:
Johann said:
Innervate said:
darthdevidem01 said:
trestres said:
Johann said:

So what you're saying is that although the Wii sells the most sofware (1st and 3rd party) and hardware out of the big 3, you still want more support to go to it?

More support? Don't you mean at least some support?

trestres you made similar thread throughout last year & have made this one now.

You want some support? Wii has 3rd party support

if you want the support, basically the games 3rd parties are giving to HD consoles, its really time you decided to maybe get a PS3 or a 360 as your second console.

Beside 1st party wise Wii is looking brilliant in 2010

Why should we be forced to buy another console for games that should also be on the Wii?

Because they're... not?

I think the point here is that 3rd parties can't expect customers to come to them on their terms. If they want a customer, they have to meet that customer on his or her own terms.

3rd parties have been telling consumers for three years now that if you want their best games, you need to buy an HD console. Half the market has bought a Wii and Nintendo's games instead. If the "just buy an HD console" strategy had any merit, surely it would have worked by now.

And it's more to try to make back the money they are losing. If they can't admit they are still betting on a losing horse, I'm not going to shore up their stupidity.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

vonboysp said:

is this a bad thing? is nintendo struggling without the godly third parties?

Third party support was a big decider in the 5th and 6th gens. Nintendo shouldn't bend over backwards to get it, but it certainly shouldn't repel it either.

Around the Network
psrock said:
Fact : Third party needs Nintendo more than Nintendo need then, hence the reason Nintendo doesn't if it get MWF2 or not.

I actually like the way it is, it seems Nintendo fans are pleased with the games they get anyway.

I think any level headed Wii fan would admit that we've had some long droughts.

Isn't Wii the first console to have ever had software droughts two years after it was clear that it would be the market leader? I'm not just talking core either, late 08 early 09 was a drought for the expanded audience too.

Good riddance. There's a large install base and market here, someone's going to find it and profit. If it's not the "game industry" so be it.

the2bears - the indie shmup blog
Demotruk said:
psrock said:
Fact : Third party needs Nintendo more than Nintendo need then, hence the reason Nintendo doesn't if it get MWF2 or not.

I actually like the way it is, it seems Nintendo fans are pleased with the games they get anyway.

I think any level headed Wii fan would admit that we've had some long droughts.

Isn't Wii the first console to have ever had software droughts two years after it was clear that it would be the market leader? I'm not just talking core either, late 08 early 09 was a drought for the expanded audience too.

Yeah, the drouts suck. Just that it was clear that third parties can fill in the gap, and they won't. They are still convinced they are making "experiences" that are too good for the Wii. They are losing their shirts and acting as though they are all Howard Roark.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Train wreck said:
The bottom line here is 3rd party support is shifting to more HD development.

If you own only a PS3/60 system or you focus your gaming attention to those systems, then the future looks bright. You got motion coming and more third party support along with awesome first party support in Microsoft and Sony.

If your a wii only owner, you future is bright, when only talking about nintendo games and a few 3rd party games sprinkled here and there.

Which is great as long as you ignore the fact that 3rd parties are losing money on HD games.   Activision had GH and Wow to prop up their revenue, else they'd likely be in the red too.   Ubisoft depended on casual titles and we can see what happened when their casual market disappears (because they oversaturated the market with crap) - they've gone straight into the red too.  EA's in the red.  THQ.  Sega.  Capcom had a great beginning last year with RE5 and SF4 but is struggling again.

Focusing on HD gaming is suicide.    And no one will stand to gain from this in the long run.   Except Nintendo.

cAPSLOCK said:
Khuutra, I see what you're saying. Basically don't burn any bridges, try to build relationships and get good games.

Maybe I'm being a little mean about the whole 3rd party thing.

Here's what gets me about the whole situation: There has never been a faster selling console in video game history. Not since the NES have video game consoles had any real main stream attention. Not only is this the fastest selling console, but the development costs are lower than their HD counterparts.

Also, Nintendo has done a lot to reach out to 3rd parties this generation. They've opened up and showed that they're willing to support them. They've offered Nintendo developers go out and visit and provide insight or any consulting help they may need, offer marketing packages for particularly good games.

And so far what has been the response by the rest of the industry? Ridicule. Doomsaying every single year. Being told that they "don't count" and this generation is about 2nd and 3rd place. Not only have they passed up on good 3rd party games, but they've been agressively passed up, as the OP shows. On top of all that the rest of the industry has actively encouraged a culture of outright hostility towards their most gifted son.

This is probably why I would make a shitty business person. There's only so many times you extend your hand and it gets bit or ignored or shit on before you finally clench a fist.

So in terms of seeing it as an economic war, I'd wage it pretty drastically. I'd hire a few guys to go around to 3rd parties. Charts drawn in with crayons, the occasional backwards "R" for that extra simple look, and say in the most condescending possible tone "since you're far too incompetent to make any worthwhile games for our system, we're only allowing 2 games per year for your entire publishing umbrella, this way you don't taint our reputation any more than you already have"

Then I'd advertise on TV more, become much, much more friendly with retailers, and basically find every single way I could sidestep the industry and find popularity outside their circle.

Then again, my company would also die within a generation :P But at least I'd go out guns blazing!

So, is my idea a horrible, stupid one? Hell yes! Would it be hilarious? Hell yes!

But back to the heart of it: the lack of third party support, especially given how fast Wii is selling, is definitely disturbing and could very well be a sign of how things are just going to be for Nintendo from here on out.

i wouldn't be that drastic, i would just stop helping them, and send them a letter that said something along the lines of "you're not gods. you don't run the industry like you think you do. we don't need you. you need us. if you want to ignore us, then fine. go **** youlrselfs"

come try out the computer game i've been working on for my high school senior project, titled sling ball. http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=76669&page=1

you can view a few screenshots from the game in my photo album here; http://www.vgchartz.com/photos/album.php?album=2312

yes, this is vonboy's alt account. i can't log into my original account, and i'm not sure if i will ever be able to.

Proud Member of the Official Yoshi Fan Club!.