By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Sign here to show your sympathy after the Finnish school massacre.

These things are so sad, I feel sorry for everyone involved, even the boy. My heart goes out to anyone who's been affected by this.

Currently Playing:  Saints Row 2 | Battlefield 2 | Company of Heroes

Recently Beaten: Gears of War | Super Mario Galaxy | Darwinia | MGS4 | Sam and Max Ep. 4, Portal | Mirror's Edge | Uncharted | Mass Effect

Looking Forward to: Alan Wake | Splinter Cell : Conviction | The Last Guardian | Batman: Arkham Asylum | SMG2 | Mass Effect 2 |

Around the Network

i feel bad for everyone in this instance--things like this should not have happened

Parokki said:
This is indeed a huge shock for us, especially since the last school shooting in Finland was in 1989, and even then "only" two people died. There was a pretty big bomb in a shopping mall a few years back, but generally we have very little incidents like this.

Please don't try to use this to promote your political agendas. Guns in schools is just about the worst idea ever, especially in a country like Finland where only the police and some security guards ever carry them in public.

Here in Greece, police is allowed to carry unloaded (!) guns only! They are allowed to load them only in case of an assault against them!!!

It has started in the media here now, I just read an article where they pointed out that he had been playing Battlefield 2 an hour before the shooting... Gawd...

So sad... :(

Around the Network

It was the Heavy Metal! Devil's music!

Le sigh, and people blamed Jack the Ripper on violence in theatres too.

Well, school shootings really suck. Sorry yet another one happened.

(Note: Potential double post, thanks to work internet not liking VgChartz)

See Ya George.

"He did not die - He passed Away"

At least following a comedians own jokes makes his death easier.

"That happens primarily because of bullying. It really sucks, but I'm pretty sure some of the victims where the cause of this happening."

OMG stupidest statement ever. Bullying is the reason this happend??
How about this? The kid that was being bullied, ISNT PSYCHOLOGICALLY STABLE ENOUGH TO BE A PART OF SOCIETY!

I'm all in for psychological tests preformed on kids B4 they enter public school grounds.If they dont meet standards? Throw them in a mental institution END OF STORY

Who gives a shit if those kids were being bullied? Seriously? Who gives a fuck?
"OH NO SOMEBODY MAKES FUN OF ME ALL THE TIME"

To many wack jobs out there in the world. Good god

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

Mummelman sent me a PM asking about the media reaction in Finland, especially concerning video games, and I figured I might as well tell everybody.

First of all I should mention that I don't follow the Finnish media a lot. I'm a poor student, so I don't get any newspaper subscriptions at home, and watching actual channels on the TV requires me to unplug all my consoles and plug-in the digital receiver crap. It's not that I don't care about what happens, it's just that the internet is more than good enough of a source if you know how to use it.

Anyway, pretty much all profiles of the killer report that he liked to play shooting games on his computer, but I have yet to see anyone really blame games for this. One article emphasized that parents should be more aware of age restrictions, especially how they're given for inappropriate content, not difficulty. Apparently parents often look at games, see a 16+ limit, but figure their 14-year old is smart enough to figure how to play it regardless. I have no doubt that there have been lots of isolated incidents of clueless old mothers voicing their concerns over "killer training simulations" etc, but looks like none have gotten a lot of media attention. Hopefully things will stay that way.

I did read something about gun laws being tightened, although apparently it's more like we've announced that we'll not defy the EU's new regulations after all. Currently it's legal for 15-year olds to own hunting weapons in Finland and go hunting by themselves, but that limit is going to be raised to 18. 15-year olds can still go hunting and fire with adult supervision, which honestly sounds fair enough to me. Just two weeks or so ago Suomen Kuvalehti (kinda like our Time magazine) had an article about how the Finnish authorities and the EU were going to clash on the matter due to Finland's long tradition of rural folk starting hunting when they're very young, but I guess this settles it...

In case anyone doesn't know, Finland has the third highest amount of guns per capita in the world, but a huge majority of them are hunting weapons, or WW2-era war booty. Finland had the highest percentage of the population mobilized out of all the countries in the war, and just about every young soldier returning from the front took a Soviet/German souvenir back home. They're technically illegal, but the police here have better things to do than raid grandpa's attic for old guns that probably don't even work anymore.

Carrying a gun in public is only permitted for the police and some guards. Otherwise they may only be transported from place of storage to place of use (home->shooting range etc). Applying for a gun permit requires one to supply a reason for owning the gun, and self-defence is not a valid reason in Finnish law.
Wikipedia has more on the subject.

I never buy the afternoon papers (which have been getting more and more tabloid-like over the years), but couldn't help noticing their front pages when I was out yesterday. Out of the big two we have here, one was all black, said something like "GREAT TRADEGY. THE SORROW WILL NEVER STOP", and advertised it had full profiles of the shooter and all the victims.

Here are some pictures from the paper's website:

Friend of dead boys: "CRYING ISN'T HELPING/CEASING" (ambiguous meaning)

POLICE PICTURES FROM THE SCHOOL
SENSELESS SHOOTING

Sorry for going off-topic this much, but I'm really starting to get pissed off at the media.

This was so sad when i heard about it wednesday. I was in school at that moment. :(

Education is the only way to reduce crime.
Life sucks, shit happens. There are things that can't be within your control.

Parents are the one that should notice whether their kid screw up.