By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Hirai on Home Delay, future price cuts and MH3 going to Wii

TheBigFatJ said:
The thing bothers me about Sony's delays isn't that they're delaying the software. I think we can all agree that there is very few circumstances when a delay isn't a positive thing overall. My problem is with the fact that they announce delays very late -- well after the point for which it would be obvious the game is going to be delayed.

I can see some reasoning for this. The longer you wait, the more accurate your new release date will be. However, this is a far more insidious reason. Sony may want people to believe something is about to come out, even if they know it isn't close, because impending releases can sell consoles to certain people. So in this way, it's in Sony's interests to hide the fact that games are going to be delayed until as late as possible, then announce the delay and focus on the fact that it's a quality thing.

Home looks very ambitious. I think this is something Sony fans will be waiting for until 2009 or later.

Brawl's delay date seemed pretty sprung on people as well.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
TheBigFatJ said:
The thing bothers me about Sony's delays isn't that they're delaying the software. I think we can all agree that there is very few circumstances when a delay isn't a positive thing overall. My problem is with the fact that they announce delays very late -- well after the point for which it would be obvious the game is going to be delayed.

I can see some reasoning for this. The longer you wait, the more accurate your new release date will be. However, this is a far more insidious reason. Sony may want people to believe something is about to come out, even if they know it isn't close, because impending releases can sell consoles to certain people. So in this way, it's in Sony's interests to hide the fact that games are going to be delayed until as late as possible, then announce the delay and focus on the fact that it's a quality thing.

Home looks very ambitious. I think this is something Sony fans will be waiting for until 2009 or later.

Yes, and Brawl's delay wasn't a "we need to finish this" delay or "we need to increase the quality" delay and it was less than two months.  Kojima himself said it looked ready for release more than 6 months ago. It was a business decision that there were too many releases coming out this holiday and Nintendo didn't want to overshadow them with Galaxy _and_ Brawl. They moved it to a slower, post-holiday period, and it may have been told to us as soon as Nintendo made that business decision.

For Nintendo, moving Brawl may have a very positive effect on third parties. It doesn't bother me at all because I have too many games to play right now anyhow and will undoutably be grateful for a fresh new exciting game during the post holiday lull.

My point with Sony is that they're delays are often > 6 month delays or sometimes even more than a year, but they'll hide that from people until the game is a couple months from release.  And when you're talking about a 6 month delay, this is going to be obvious when there's a year worth of work to complete on the game. 

ssj12 said:
superchunk said:

@ssj12, it has be shown that in fact the hardware in the 40g is still 90nm. Not 65nm as was originally rumored.

source 1
http://www.trustedreviews.com/gaming/news/2007/11/06/40GB-PS3-Still-Using-90nm/p1

source 2
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2007/11/06/40gb_ps3_features_90nm_cell/1

EDIT: Now Sony has said they 65nm chips will be rolling out soon. But, as of yet this is not the case.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/833/833700p1.html 65nm confirmed.. now on to the 45nm version next year.

Yeah, there is another thread that showed this new article. I eat crow, you were right.

I believe there are no more price cuts when I see it. I don't expect one this month or anything, but I predict sales will continue to slump through 2008 in spite of major game releases, Sony will have to do something.

The barbarians at the gate have far more to say about the price of the PS3 then does Sony itself. What Sony wants to do, and what Sony will have to do are two entirely different things. That said I never take the word of liars, and don't excuse them for lying. They have been caught red handed for lying about price cutting. Even up until two days before they do it, and in hindsight it is evident they have planned cuts many months in advance. So the word of a Sony exec is like trusting a pedophile to not strike again, because they promised not to.

What decides whether there is another price cut. The sales of the console plain and simple. Were Sony to have sold fewer then ten million consoles world wide by next March, and the competitions offerings were both approaching twenty million or surpassing that. Then Sony has little choice in the matter given their excessive production they will have to cut prices again, and take another large loss. Which is preferable then bottling up liquid assets in unsold consoles.

They have thrown the machine into overdrive, and now they have to hang on. They are committed, and cannot take their time to work into the market. Either they capture real market share, or they flounder out of the market. They made their choice many months ago. Even though they might not appreciate it. Their production methodology has forced a number of price cuts, and profit cuts this year along. Simply because they cannot stop the assembly line.

Sony might get what they want, but its not something they actually had control over to begin with. Reality is that they will have gotten lucky that they could have put off another price cut. Had the situation been the opposite they would have been forced into another one.

Around the Network
TheBigFatJ said:
Kasz216 said:
TheBigFatJ said:

Yes, and Brawl's delay wasn't a "we need to finish this" delay or "we need to increase the quality" delay and it was less than two months.  Kojima himself said it looked ready for release more than 6 months ago. It was a business decision that there were too many releases coming out this holiday and Nintendo didn't want to overshadow them with Galaxy _and_ Brawl. They moved it to a slower, post-holiday period, and it may have been told to us as soon as Nintendo made that business decision.

For Nintendo, moving Brawl may have a very positive effect on third parties. It doesn't bother me at all because I have too many games to play right now anyhow and will undoutably be grateful for a fresh new exciting game during the post holiday lull.

My point with Sony is that they're delays are often > 6 month delays or sometimes even more than a year, but they'll hide that from people until the game is a couple months from release.  And when you're talking about a 6 month delay, this is going to be obvious when there's a year worth of work to complete on the game. 

I don't know about that. I remember when they were talking about how you could send pictures to your friends their was a blurred out button. Pink i believe, that they said would be awesome, but at the same time they might not have enough time to incorporate it into the game.  So it might be good or it might be nothing.  Maybe he was just being coy but i took it as a "this will be out if we don't meet the deadline."

These plans scream "chicken and egg problem" on several levels.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

TheBigFatJ said:

Yes, and Brawl's delay wasn't a "we need to finish this" delay or "we need to increase the quality" delay and it was less than two months. Kojima himself said it looked ready for release more than 6 months ago. It was a business decision that there were too many releases coming out this holiday and Nintendo didn't want to overshadow them with Galaxy _and_ Brawl. They moved it to a slower, post-holiday period, and it may have been told to us as soon as Nintendo made that business decision.

My point with Sony is that they're delays are often > 6 month delays or sometimes even more than a year, but they'll hide that from people until the game is a couple months from release. And when you're talking about a 6 month delay, this is going to be obvious when there's a year worth of work to complete on the game.

In one of the hands-on-Brawl articles, there was talk of crashing and game instability. Brawl was pushed back for technical reasons if that article was to be believed.

Edit:  Just noticed that the article still refers to the PS3, Wii, 360 as "next gen."  Anyone still calling them "next gen" after being on the market for a year is an idiot.