By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best Clover/Platinum Games Beat-Em-Up?

Best Clover/Platinum Games Beat-Em-Up?

Viewtiful Joe 18 29.51%

God Hand 13 21.31%

Bayonetta 23 37.70%

MadWorld 7 11.48%

Total:61

Ladies and gentlemen! What is best?

Viewtiful Joe

Viewtiful Joe was the first game produced by Clover Studios, and the only one so far to have spawned a sequel that was actually produced by the original company. The second game is widely considered something of a letdown, but the original was generation-defining, setting the tone for all action games that came after it, easily offering up a legitimate challenge to Devil May Cry as the best action game released at the time. The game hasn't really aged, either - a distinctive visual style and solid, rock hard 2-D combat that focused on the manipulation of time and perspective still earns this game its due respect whenever it is mentioned.

Metacritic: 93
VGChartz Score: N/A

God Hand

God Hand is actually the last of Clover's games, a swan song for the company brought to you by Shinji Mikami, the man behind Resident Evil and a whole lot of other stuff. It follows in the tradition of Viewtiful Joe in that's it's brutally hard but very fair, but stands out from every other game in this list in that this difficulty carries over into every single difficulty setting: this game will whip your ass on Easy unless you learn how to fight. The game was subject to mixed reception by critics (who can forget the IGN scoring debacle surrounding this game?) but has formed a cult following unlike any other action game on the market. The game's mantra and motto are examples of what the genre are about: "God Hand. It's hard - very hard - but it's fair."

Metacritic Score: 73
VGChartz Score: 7.8

Bayonetta

The newest game on our list, Bayonetta, comes to you by way of Platinum Games and directed by Team Little Angels, headed by Hideki Kamiya, the man who gave us Devil May Cry and Viewtiful Joe. It is a game in the school of Devil May Cry, taken to a logical extreme: combat is balls-to-the-wall hard, the setpieces are so extreme that they outclass anything else released so far this generation, and the combat system is more dependen on rhythm than pretty much any other game you'll play. Bayonetta's first impression is one of sex appeal, but it's the game's humor, combat, and sense of style that have made it into an instant classic of the genre.

Metacritic Score: 90
VGChartz Score: 9.1

MadWorld

The first game released by Platinum Games made a splash on the internet through virtue of violence so extreme that it made No More Heroes look like a sharing-focused episode of the Muppet Babies. MadWorld is different from the other games on this list in that the spectacle of its gameplay is kind of the whole point; the experience of the game is summed up in the boss fights, wherein one may (hypothetically) make a man eat a chainsaw and then poop it out. I'm not saying that happens. I'm saying that, in the contex of the game, it wouldn't be that weird. MadWorld is memorable if for no other reason than as a parody of tropes of the genre, a giant bloody middle finger to all the Ninja Gaidens and God of Wars in the world, and a reminder that action games don't have to take themselves seriously.

Metacritic Score: 81
VGChartz Score: 8.7

Take your pick, you lucky lot!

I will vote for myself when I do another run-through on the first three games on Hard

And when I play MadWorld I guess

Around the Network

I have played Viewtiful joe, Bayonatta and God Hand.

My scores for these 3 excellent games

Bayonatta 10.0
God Hand 9.6
Viewtiful Joe 9.1

Hence i voted for Bayonetta.

Ronster316 said:

Bayonatta 10.0
God Hand 9.6
Viewtiful Joe 9.1

Those are all very good scores and a fair vote

I think I lean toward God Hand myself, but I'll need to play Bayonetta on Hard (or maybe Infinite Climax Mode or whatever it's called) to get a true measure of it.

I'll go as far as to say, I believe Bayonetta is the best game yet developed from Platinum/Clover. :P

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Bayonetta is the obvious choice here.

Around the Network
ZenfoldorVGI said:
I'll go as far as to say, I believe Bayonetta is the best game yet developed from Platinum/Clover. :P

I will go 1up on this and say that Bayonetta is the best videogame made this gen. Pretty close to replacing SOTN as my favorite game of all time. I cant tell yet as I dont know if ill like it on the 10th playthough like i do with Castlevania...

MontanaHatchet said:
Bayonetta is the obvious choice here.

Would you mind elaborating?

I am starting to have second thoughts about putting this up so soon after Bayonetta's release

Khuutra said:
Ronster316 said:

Bayonatta 10.0
God Hand 9.6
Viewtiful Joe 9.1

Those are all very good scores and a fair vote

I think I lean toward God Hand myself, but I'll need to play Bayonetta on Hard (or maybe Infinite Climax Mode or whatever it's called) to get a true measure of it.

God Hand is an EXCEPTIONAL game, then again most of my best times in gaming have come from Capcom/Clover.

Dead Rising

Onimusha 1,2 & 3

DMC 1,3 & 4

Chaos legion

Resident evil 1,2,3,4,5, Code Veronica, REmake, Resident evil Deadly silence (DS)

Dino Crisis 1 & 2

Shadow of Rome

Viewtiful Joe 1 & 2

Powerstone 1 & 2

Street Fighter 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11 ect lol

Basically Capcom/Clover are game making LEGENDS.

Bayonetta is going to get a lot of votes for being so fresh in people's mind, but meh. Do another poll later if you want to see how large an effect that is.

Personally nothing can top Viewtiful Joe for me. The game play mixed with the story just puts it at the top of my list. My love for that series is a hard one to match, and near impossible to beat.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229