By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo producing 1.8 million Wiis a month

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6182485.html?tag=latestnews;title;0

title says it all, good times for Wii. But he does say that shortages will continue. Also he critisizes microsoft and sony

----

It's an indelible argument that Nintendo has scored a massive hit with the Wii. Besides being wildly popular, the console has attracted many third-party publishers with its low development costs and large installed base. And though attention has been paid to the plight of consumers in their vein attempts to find Nintendo's scarce console, it appears that publishers are having their own problems manufacturing enough games for the console.

Speaking at a BMO Capital Markets investors conference yesterday, Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime stated that manufacturers have become overwhelmed by the rise in software production. "As every publisher talks about shifting over to Wii, it's creating this crush of production right now at factories for our software," he said.

However, the outspoken exec also assured investors that the problem is temporary. "What we've done is to ramp that capacity and work with publishers to make sure their best titles get into the marketplace and have a productive holiday," he continued. "This is a very short-term situation that's effectively going to be resolved in the course of three weeks' time."

Although publishers have apparently been hamstrung by production backups, at issue for most consumers has been shortages of the Wii itself. In October, Fils-Aime unabashedly admitted that Wii shortages will definitely continue through the holiday season. However, he stated at yesterday's conference that Nintendo remains diligent about keeping consoles flowing in the retail channel.

"Two weeks ago when our half-yearly financials were announced, we upped the [worldwide shipment target of Wiis] again to 17.5 million," he said. "Since then, we've increased production capacities to 1.8 million systems a month. This is an unheard-of level of production for a gaming system. Clearly, we're taking consumer scarcity seriously."

At the same conference, Reggie also addressed the "box" Sony and Microsoft have placed themselves in due to their focus on expensive-to-produce hardware and equally costly-to-create software. "How they'll get out of it is a challenge," he opined. "Likely creating casual content for those systems won't work, not only because the ease of play won't be there, but the consumer won't be there. I don't think a consumer paying $600 for Sony's systems [in addition to] software and accessories is the same consumer who wants to play a more casual type of product. They have a significant strategic conundrum and one that won't be easy to resolve."

Around the Network

That's some damn fine shit talking there Reggie.

Ugh... why smack talk? It's sooo not needed... Nintendo stock is already through the roof. Reggie just needs to run the course and start advertising games like Metroid BW2 and Zack and Wiki. The MyNintendo channel can't come soon enough (Nov19th that is)!

**Edited release date since I was off by one day. 

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

This proves you cant escape arrogance/trash talking when you are on the top, never liked Reggie anyway.

DarkNight_DS said:
Ugh... why smack talk? It's sooo not needed... Nintendo stock is already through the roof. Reggie just needs to run the course and start advertising games like Metroid BW2 and Zack and Wiki. The MyNintendo channel can't come soon enough (Nov20th that is)!

QFT

Around the Network

It didn't sound like smack talking to me, but a valid market analysis. Right now both Microsoft and Sony are scrambling for a piece of the family/casual pie but they're too late. Microsoft just announced new play timers for yoru kids for the 360, and Sony just announced they're going to try to advertise the system as an all-in-one media center to MOMS as a way to invade the whole household. Nintendo OWNS the family angle. Their first order of business when making the Wii was "How do we get moms?" Then they asked "How do we make it energy efficient?" THEN they asked "How do we make the controller innovative as hell?" (That's from the Ask Iwata series.)

Not to say that Microsoft necessarily needs the family/casual market... but they're still trying too little too late to snatch it from Nintendo.

Favorite Companies: Nintendo, Blizzard, Valve.
Recent New Favorites: Grasshopper, Atlus. (R.I.P. Clover.)
Heroes/Homies: Shigeru Miyamoto, Gunpei Yokoi, Will Wright, Eric Chahi, Suda51, Brian Eno, David Bowie.
Haiku Group: Haiku Hell.
Nemeses: Snesboy, fkusumot. 
GameDaily Article that Interviewed Me: Console Defense Forces.

lol @ the idea that it was smack talk.

It was more candid than you normally see from a Nintendo executive I will grant you but smack talk? GS took snippets from him and arranged them how they chose. At least take a look at the full quote before you beat the guy over the head with his words.

To Each Man, Responsibility
DarkNight_DS said:
Ugh... why smack talk? It's sooo not needed... Nintendo stock is already through the roof. Reggie just needs to run the course and start advertising games like Metroid BW2 and Zack and Wiki. The MyNintendo channel can't come soon enough (Nov20th that is)!

What is the MyNintendo channel again?  I probably know what it is, just not by that name.

EDIT:  Guessing its the DS d/l station.  Anyway, where did you hear Nov. 20?  Is that the Japan or US date? 

Brian ZuckerGeneral PR Manager, VGChartzbzucker@vgchartz.com

Digg VGChartz!

Follow VGChartz on Twitter!

Fan VGChartz on Facebook!

Do you even know what smack talk is? This clearly isn't smack talk. Haha

Sony *does* have the PS2 - that's their casual console right there. Look at the sales of Singstar & Buzz (in Australia anyway).

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099