By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why doesn't Microsoft drop the price of the Xbox?

They haven't dropped the price yet because it's early. I imagine we'll see big M cut the price for this holiday season. Perhaps a little earlier.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Around the Network

stof said: They haven't dropped the price yet because it's early. I imagine we'll see big M cut the price for this holiday season. Perhaps a little earlier.
Probobly. I also see a price cut for Halo 3.

Microsoft doesn't consider either PS2 or Wii competitors and never will. All they see is PS3.

kars said: No it is in fact a sign that they learned the rules of the High End Market: In this market you have to earn with every console. Simply start with a high price and the decrease it gradualy till you earn the money you like. The PS-3 on the other hand went to the market with the concept for the mass market but the price and features of the High End market. These demands contradict each other. The PS-3 has one problem: No concept how to earn money. Everybody should recognize that the Elite is too expensive. But it has one advantage: You can drop the price and still earn money.
You know, that actually makes sense. Microsoft plays the stamina game. They just last on you until you give up & then they go in for the kill. Trademark Microsoft actually. Not saying I like this but what you said put into perspective a little better. Basically like everything with the PS3, Sony had an identity crisis being pulled between the poles of the XBox 360 & the Wii. I always felt that Microsoft was luring Sony into a dangerous game. They are playing a industry-wide game of chicken & double-dog-daring Sony to cross that line. And Sony's taking the bait everytime. Eventually 360 will outlast PS3 and just raid its properties when Sony's exhausted. Never underestimate the power of "green steroids" if ya smell what I'm cookin'. John Lucas

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

stof said: They haven't dropped the price yet because it's early. I imagine we'll see big M cut the price for this holiday season. Perhaps a little earlier.
Absolutely. Think about this: The 360 has 3 games that will sell 2m+ units in August through October/November. Madden 08, Halo 3 and GTAIV. Those are HUGE games that can bring in lots of gamers IF the 360 has a decent, affordable, competitive price @ $300 for the prem.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network

I'm very interested in seeing the reception GTA gets on a Microsoft console when it's on much better footing. The spotlight's definitely on Halo, but it will still be interesting to see how GTA does.

I always felt that Microsoft was luring Sony into a dangerous game. They are playing a industry-wide game of chicken & double-dog-daring Sony to cross that line. And Sony's taking the bait everytime.
Oh yeah. MS is totally waiting for the time when they can go "surprise! We've got a mass market console," and Sony goes "Whaaaa???" However, I think MS are following their hardcore fetish a little too far... They've got that customer... Now its time to stop playing Sony's game, stop spending so much time and money answering every feature and every spec PS3 has, and aggressively pursue the wider user base. "Elite" goes after an even more ellusive, higher-end customer... MS needed to make the 360 a little big lighter at launch, to get to this point on the edge of profitability soon after launch, and then be in a position to cut the price right now, before Wii totally steals the mass market from under them.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Erik Aston said: I always felt that Microsoft was luring Sony into a dangerous game. They are playing a industry-wide game of chicken & double-dog-daring Sony to cross that line. And Sony's taking the bait everytime. Oh yeah. MS is totally waiting for the time when they can go "surprise! We've got a mass market console," and Sony goes "Whaaaa???" However, I think MS are following their hardcore fetish a little too far... They've got that customer... Now its time to stop playing Sony's game, stop spending so much time and money answering every feature and every spec PS3 has, and aggressively pursue the wider user base. "Elite" goes after an even more ellusive, higher-end customer... MS needed to make the 360 a little big lighter at launch, to get to this point on the edge of profitability soon after launch, and then be in a position to cut the price right now, before Wii totally steals the mass market from under them.
Couldn't agree less, but on the same time microsoft realy needs to start making some money on their xbox division soon before stock owners starts to get really pissed off.

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

Erik Aston said: However, I think MS are following their hardcore fetish a little too far... They've got that customer... Now its time to stop playing Sony's game, stop spending so much time and money answering every feature and every spec PS3 has, and aggressively pursue the wider user base. "Elite" goes after an even more ellusive, higher-end customer...
I don't think that you can see the real reason behind the Elite right now. It doesn't really make sense in itself for the moment, considering the development and marketing costs. I don't think that they would have developed without a significant reason. But I think it is tightly connected to the IPTV .