By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Anyone believe or hope Microsoft will leave the videogame business?

Smashchu2 said:
ironman said:

Anybody who does is not a gamer, or a smart consumer. Competition forces companies to produce better cheaper products.

I bet you have never heard of this book

I guess by now, after Wii's and DS resounding successes, that kept Nintendo's huge leadership in portables and gave it back in home consoles, both Sony and MS must have started studying these theories...

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network
ironman said:
unknown_soul89 said:

As much as I dislike the 360 as a console and the fact everyone ignores it's many many faults including next to no good exclusives (pc/360 games are NOT exclusive) I have to admit it has done alot for gaming, by pure accident of course,

Wow...pathetic, pc/360 games ARE exclusives if you are talking console (which most people are since Console gaming and PC gaming are very different), and aside from RROD (which has been all but eliminated) and overpriced paraphernalia (which are, for the most part, completely unnecessary) I see no other faults. 

Without the xbox we wouldn't have the trophies/acheivement system (which some games benefit from and other games it's kinda tacked on, Mirror's Edge is one that added gameplay value), online on the ps3 probably wouldn't be as good as it is now, alot of PC devs would of stayed on the PC (bioware and valve most notably), and alot of the great first party Sony games that came out these past years might not have if it wasn't for the competition, so yea, personally I'd rather Windows fail and MS leave that and someone capable steps in and make a OS that works without needing 2 gigs more ram for any game you want to play compared to any other OS 

Console exclusive doesn't mean exclusive it means it's also on PC, the definition of exclusive is  Not divided or shared with others, pc/360 games are shared between 360 and pc and NOT exclusive, and RROD has been eliminated lol, maybe with the newest consoles but 5 years later is pathetic and what about paying for live with no extra benefits you don't see that as a problem?

won't happen so not worth the speculation lol

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

No, they are too established in the industry but it would probably be better for their profit margins if they quit.

Alby_da_Wolf said:
Smashchu2 said:
ironman said:

Anybody who does is not a gamer, or a smart consumer. Competition forces companies to produce better cheaper products.

I guess by now, after Wii's and DS resounding successes, that kept Nintendo's huge leadership in portables and gave it back in home consoles, both Sony and MS must have started studying these theories...

Uhhh, no they have not. There is no reason to think this outside of wishful thinking.

Around the Network

Seriously, i wish one of both remains, it is hard for me to keep pace with their first party games (own both consoles).

Smashchu2 said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
Smashchu2 said:
ironman said:

Uhhh, no they have not. There is no reason to think this outside of wishful thinking.

No evidence to assert either possibility, actually, but common sense more than wishful thinking suggests that it would be wise for them to do it.

If used correctly, exploiting its unique features, at least Kinect could make MS discover a relatively small (comparable more to Balance Board than to the whole Wii) but nice and profitable Blue Ocean.

If they planned to count mostly on Wii games rip-offs, though, you're totally right.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Alby_da_Wolf said:
Smashchu2 said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
Smashchu2 said:
ironman said:

No evidence to assert either possibility, actually, but common sense more than wishful thinking suggests that it would be wise for them to do it.

If used correctly, exploiting its unique features, at least Kinect could make MS discover a relatively small (comparable more to Balance Board than to the whole Wii) but nice and profitable Blue Ocean.

If they planned to count mostly on Wii games rip-offs, though, you're totally right.

First, they have done nothing that indicated that they are using Blue Ocean Strategy. The idea that "they might be," is silly given that they have done nothing the book advises.

On the bold: That is wrong because a Blue Ocean would be ignoring the competition to create a leap in value. Microsoft is imitating Nintendo, meaning that this is a Red Ocean, notn a Blue one.

Smashchu2 said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
Smashchu2 said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

[...]

First, they have done nothing that indicated that they are using Blue Ocean Strategy. The idea that "they might be," is silly given that they have done nothing the book advises.

On the bold: That is wrong because a Blue Ocean would be ignoring the competition to create a leap in value. Microsoft is imitating Nintendo, meaning that this is a Red Ocean, notn a Blue one.

This because currently it looks like they'll mostly use their tech in a way that isn't new at all, despite the tech could allow MS to be different, only the dance games currently look like they'll be using the potential of being different from those on the competing consoles, I wrote it too in the underlined part. Let's not forget, though, that MS marketing will do everything possible to persuade people that its new toy is totally original and innovative, and you can bet that there are millions people just waiting to believe everything MS says, even when it pretends it invented the wheel, umbrella and hot water.   

To be honest I wouldn't mind Sony leaving the gaming industry.  None of their 1st party exclusives interest me, and most 3rd party titles are sometimes better played on the X360( if the developer really wanted to put effort on it). Sony has always been kinda' generic for me. I PERSONALLY like Nintendo's AND Microsoft's offering more.  I don't see the PS3 as anything special as a game player but it is one of the best Blu-Ray player out there so I'll give em that!!! C'mon how long can Sony stay as they are getting crushed by the competition since this generation began!!!  Sony=Sega, PS3=DC!!!