By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Anyone believe or hope Microsoft will leave the videogame business?

thx1139 said:
Banned2010 said:
thx1139 said:
WilliamWatts said:
thx1139 said:
Couple of things.

1. 360 has been profitable for 2 years. Yes they havent yet made up the initial losses on the original Xbox and Xbox 360 (with RRoD set aside), but by the end of this generation the Xbox 360 itself will be profitable.

2. If any hardware manufacturer were to exist hardware business I would want it to be Nintendo. There is nothing that the Wii hardware (not controllers) provides that the 360 and PS3 dont provide. In fact they provide more. Nintendo could continue to build incredibly successful software, but no need for them to provide hardware except for accessories.

By that metric Sony should leave. I mean theres nothing they provide that Microsoft doesn't do better in terms of hardware profitability/network etc. Maybe they should become a publisher and just sell games? It worked out so well for Sega.

Difference is you can see that in the hardware space Sony is indeed trying and some (especially on these boards) would say that Sony is the one setting the bar.  Nintendo doesnt even attempt.

First we all know there is more sony fans on this site, on top of that they are really biased and can't admit that sony failed once before as well(PS2) NOT ON SALES BUT ON FAILURE RATE.

Yes sony does try but so does M$. Nintendo could of failed horrible with the release of wii. NINTENDO started what we have now, not only that but they took a hugh chance on motion controlles, so slow your role you sound way off.

M$ set the bar with xbox live and sony set it with I guess blue ray which I think is just a gate way to downloads.

First off you appear childish using M$ if you do that please call the others $ony and Nintendough.

OK. Now Nintendo did very little to move console hardware forward. Sony and MS are proving this with the Wand and Natal.  They are bringing motion controllers to thier consoles.  Yes they are doing it with an eye towards doing something slightly different, but they are proving that the console has nothing to do with it.  It is the software and the controller that is what is important. 

That gets me back to why I have thought for a couple of generations that Nintendo should become a software and accessory company.  Leave the console to others that are willing to invest in the console.

Sony and MS did not innovate video gaming this gen. All they did was up the graphics and network nothing new.

Nintendo did innovate.

In fact MSSony were afraid to innovate for fear of failure. 

Around the Network

First off, thanks to disruption, both will leave the market soon.

Second, I would like to see Microsoft and Sony leave. I have learned their machines aren't consoles, but computers. They don't feel like consoles. Consoles also had something unique to them. There was something special, and always stuff you couldn't get elsewhere (like the Wii remote today). Sony and Microsoft release multimedia machines under the name of a videogame console. But it isn't.

mhsillen said:
thx1139 said:
Banned2010 said:
thx1139 said:
WilliamWatts said:
thx1139 said:
Couple of things.

1. 360 has been profitable for 2 years. Yes they havent yet made up the initial losses on the original Xbox and Xbox 360 (with RRoD set aside), but by the end of this generation the Xbox 360 itself will be profitable.

2. If any hardware manufacturer were to exist hardware business I would want it to be Nintendo. There is nothing that the Wii hardware (not controllers) provides that the 360 and PS3 dont provide. In fact they provide more. Nintendo could continue to build incredibly successful software, but no need for them to provide hardware except for accessories.

By that metric Sony should leave. I mean theres nothing they provide that Microsoft doesn't do better in terms of hardware profitability/network etc. Maybe they should become a publisher and just sell games? It worked out so well for Sega.

Difference is you can see that in the hardware space Sony is indeed trying and some (especially on these boards) would say that Sony is the one setting the bar.  Nintendo doesnt even attempt.

First we all know there is more sony fans on this site, on top of that they are really biased and can't admit that sony failed once before as well(PS2) NOT ON SALES BUT ON FAILURE RATE.

Yes sony does try but so does M$. Nintendo could of failed horrible with the release of wii. NINTENDO started what we have now, not only that but they took a hugh chance on motion controlles, so slow your role you sound way off.

M$ set the bar with xbox live and sony set it with I guess blue ray which I think is just a gate way to downloads.

First off you appear childish using M$ if you do that please call the others $ony and Nintendough.

OK. Now Nintendo did very little to move console hardware forward. Sony and MS are proving this with the Wand and Natal.  They are bringing motion controllers to thier consoles.  Yes they are doing it with an eye towards doing something slightly different, but they are proving that the console has nothing to do with it.  It is the software and the controller that is what is important. 

That gets me back to why I have thought for a couple of generations that Nintendo should become a software and accessory company.  Leave the console to others that are willing to invest in the console.

Sony and MS did not innovate video gaming this gen. All they did was up the graphics and network nothing new.

Nintendo did innovate.

I consider blu ray and HD innovations. and i consider the PS3's cells porcessor innovative. i think some games have been innovative, like heavy rain, or alan wake, bayonetta, god of war 3, etc, stuff that couldnt be done before.

Smashchu2 said:

Second, I would like to see Microsoft and Sony leave. I have learned their machines aren't consoles, but computers. They don't feel like consoles. Consoles also had something unique to them. There was something special, and always stuff you couldn't get elsewhere (like the Wii remote today). Sony and Microsoft release multimedia machines under the name of a videogame console. But it isn't.

lol..your a very funny guy...

Toading as alway's I see nothing has changed...with you

Hell even the Wii is a Computer...there is no such thing as the

"only a game console any more"

that even applies to the Wii.

the strictly Just a Game console is no more.

They do not exist anymore,That even applies to Nintendo, sorry but that is just the truth, Nintendo has Netflix..when did game consoles as you say ever had a service like Netflix until this generation.?

got new's for you the strictly game console is DEAD.

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

Smashchu2 said:

I will be very happy to see you and your kind disappointed.

Around the Network
A203D said:
mhsillen said:

Nintendo did innovate.

I consider blu ray and HD innovations. and i consider the PS3's cells porcessor innovative. i think some games have been innovative, like heavy rain, or alan wake, bayonetta, god of war 3, etc, stuff that couldnt be done before.

A203D, although I think mhsillen opinion to be very extreme, there is some truth in it. Sony and Microsoft just brought our old pal, PC gaming, to consoles. Online playing and high resolution graphics became very affordable and that was really good, but not innovative. Not all features should be innovative and many new concepts need several rounds of improvement before being any good. Also, blu-ray players and the cell processor are, perhaps, technical innovations but not in the field of gaming, where game experience, and not hardware components matter.

Your choice of games could also be better. I didn't liked Heavy Rain, but I concede it was innovative. However, Alan Wake, Bayonetta, and God of War 3 were just more of the same, no matter how good they were.

Finally, concerning mhsillen last argument, he is right on general terms. Any big company will be afraid of investing much money in untried concepts, especially when the development costs went as high as they did in the gaming industry. In the other hand, great companies also know they have to risk from time to time to get new customers. That was what Nintendo did this generation. They did a great bet in motion controls and accessibility and they are now getting their deserved share. Microsoft is usually very conservative but Sony did some pretty interesting experiments, such as Heavy Rain.

joeorc said:
Smashchu2 said:

They do not exist anymore,That even applies to Nintendo, sorry but that is just the truth, Nintendo has Netflix..when did game consoles as you say ever had a service like Netflix until this generation.?

The PS3 and 360 offer nothing that a PC can't do. In fact, their big triumphs are their processing power. Nintendo creates systems that plahys games. This is why they can create the rumble pack and the Wii Remote and Sony can only copy them. No one can even copy the D-Pad as well as Nintendo (Sega was the closest). The Gamecube was even a console because you could hook up new devices to it. The Genesis was one two because you had the 32X and the lock-on cartriage.

Microsoft and Sony are just computer makers. If you put two different names on the boxes, they would feel the same.

Smashchu2 said:

LooooL, my stomach hurts because I laughed too much. Never read such an hilarious Nintendo biased post xDDD.

OT:

I'll make it short. No one will/should leave the videogame business, simply because competition is important. It's what brings us great games.

2012 - Top 3 [so far]

#1                                       #2                                      #3

Smashchu2 said:
joeorc said:
Smashchu2 said:

The PS3 and 360 offer nothing that a PC can't do. In fact, their big triumphs are their processing power. Nintendo creates systems that plahys games. This is why they can create the rumble pack and the Wii Remote and Sony can only copy them. No one can even copy the D-Pad as well as Nintendo (Sega was the closest). The Gamecube was even a console because you could hook up new devices to it. The Genesis was one two because you had the 32X and the lock-on cartriage.

Microsoft and Sony are just computer makers. If you put two different names on the boxes, they would feel the same.

o'l my freakin god, your Diatribe is getting very thick right now, lay off that cool aid your drinking because right now your eyeball's are swimming in it...lol

Let's see, Microsoft and Sony both offered Netflix on their system, but what did Nintendo now also offer?

ol that's right Netflix, but Nintendo is not copying the other two, but it's only a slight against anyone else but Nintendo..please grow up.

does it freakin matter what or who is percieved copy's who what when how or why...lol

Sony an Microsoft system's are made to make Money just like Nintendo there there because there is a market there to make money from., and if anything before Nintendo even made it's first game system, it was PC computing system's that made the idea of a viable computing system to be made, software created at university's and govt. computer system's and their Hobby, that's right Hobby basic software code that created the very foundation of the game console IDEA. So before you slam 

"Microsoft and Sony are just computer makers".

just Computer maker's without them computer maker's if you will there would be no Game console.

No i am not saying Nintendo is not innovative, nor am i taking away from what they have brought to the industry, which is quite a bit. But on the same token I do not slam the core foundation that Game console's were infact built on which you sadly are doing and that just show's how imature your being right now so please for the love of god grow up.

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

elticker said:
more hoping of a sony/microsoft team up for next generation.

This would kick ass! The only downside would be that this would likely make Nintendo jump ship. They would not be able to compete against the might of Microsoft/Sony first Party game on top of that likely all major third party games would be on the system. This would leave Nintendo with only the hardest of the hardcore Nintendo fans.

I do think that Sony and Microsoft together would be able to make the best console ever seen though. 100 million sales overtime would be a piece of cake for that system.

How our favorite systems are just like humans and sometimes have issues finding their special someone...

Xbox 360 wants to KinectPS3 wants to Move!  Why are both systems having such relationship problems?  The reason is they both become so infactuated with desire while watching the Wii as it waggles on by. They simply want what they can't have.

Official member of the Xbox 360 Squad