By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Anyone believe or hope Microsoft will leave the videogame business?

thx1139 said:
Couple of things.

1. 360 has been profitable for 2+ years. Yes they havent yet made up the initial losses on the original Xbox and Xbox 360 (with RRoD set aside), but by the end of this generation the Xbox 360 itself will be profitable.

2. If any hardware manufacturer were to exist hardware business I would want it to be Nintendo. There is nothing that the Wii hardware (not controllers) provides that the 360 and PS3 dont provide. In fact they provide more. Nintendo could continue to build incredibly successful software, but no need for them to provide hardware except for accessories.

By that metric Sony should leave. I mean theres nothing they provide that Microsoft doesn't do better in terms of hardware profitability/network etc. Maybe they should become a publisher and just sell games? It worked out so well for Sega.

Around the Network
tuscaniman said:
richardhutnik said:
tensen1212 said:
next time around they better not make the next xbox faulty as hell!! its kinda sad how the original was more reliable than the 360 was.

I will NOT be buying the next Microsoft system at launch.  I will wait a minimum of a year, and check and see if they do an RROD.  Getting bitten once was enough on that.

The next Xbox will not be a faulty piece of hardware. The original Xbox was a rock and the 3rd version will go back to that form. The reason the 360 was so faulty is because MS had to rush out a system to beat Sony out of the gates. With this they gained huge marketshare from Sony and figured that was worth paying to fix the RROD problem.

You have presumptive trusting here regarding what Microsoft will do.  We don't know if they won't mess up again at all.  I will say that the 360 is likely to be slower out of the gate as people wait to see if the next XBox system will or won't have the same problems.  I know I will.  I will wait a year.  It also saves me the need to wait in line and all that other bits of insanity people do.

WilliamWatts said:
thx1139 said:
Couple of things.

1. 360 has been profitable for 2+ years. Yes they havent yet made up the initial losses on the original Xbox and Xbox 360 (with RRoD set aside), but by the end of this generation the Xbox 360 itself will be profitable.

2. If any hardware manufacturer were to exist hardware business I would want it to be Nintendo. There is nothing that the Wii hardware (not controllers) provides that the 360 and PS3 dont provide. In fact they provide more. Nintendo could continue to build incredibly successful software, but no need for them to provide hardware except for accessories.

By that metric Sony should leave. I mean theres nothing they provide that Microsoft doesn't do better in terms of hardware profitability/network etc. Maybe they should become a publisher and just sell games? It worked out so well for Sega.

Difference is you can see that in the hardware space Sony is indeed trying and some (especially on these boards) would say that Sony is the one setting the bar.  Nintendo doesnt even attempt.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

theprof00 said:
I would like to see MS treat video games more seriously. Knowingly releasing a failure-prone console just to increase marketshare was a huge slap in the face to the gamers of the world. Sure they have a lot of great successful games, but let's try to get the games without the "industry" and "business" rearing its ugly head.

The competition is great for us. Keep the xbox coming, but let's see a serious effort to deliver.

YOu seem to forget ps2 had the worst failure rate out of any console. Sony never gave a warranty like M$, neither did they really fix the problem.

Sometimes things go wrong, it's how you handle it. M$ has done a great job on showing they will stand behind there product none like sony with the ps2.

Not only that but I think we miss that the ps3 has some big problems as well and needs to extend it's warranty, they won't because sony's model is that people will just buy another or pay them to fix the problem.

I do agree compitition makes strides forward not only in technology but in price as well.

IF they release another problem prone console then we can talk about what they need to take care of.

Sony got a chance

thx1139 said:
WilliamWatts said:
thx1139 said:
Couple of things.

Difference is you can see that in the hardware space Sony is indeed trying and some (especially on these boards) would say that Sony is the one setting the bar.  Nintendo doesnt even attempt.

First we all know there is more sony fans on this site, on top of that they are really biased and can't admit that sony failed once before as well(PS2) NOT ON SALES BUT ON FAILURE RATE.

Yes sony does try but so does M$. Nintendo could of failed horrible with the release of wii. NINTENDO started what we have now, not only that but they took a hugh chance on motion controlles, so slow your role you sound way off.

M$ set the bar with xbox live and sony set it with I guess blue ray which I think is just a gate way to downloads.

Around the Network
richardhutnik said:
tuscaniman said:
richardhutnik said:
tensen1212 said:
next time around they better not make the next xbox faulty as hell!! its kinda sad how the original was more reliable than the 360 was.

I will NOT be buying the next Microsoft system at launch.  I will wait a minimum of a year, and check and see if they do an RROD.  Getting bitten once was enough on that.

The next Xbox will not be a faulty piece of hardware. The original Xbox was a rock and the 3rd version will go back to that form. The reason the 360 was so faulty is because MS had to rush out a system to beat Sony out of the gates. With this they gained huge marketshare from Sony and figured that was worth paying to fix the RROD problem.

You have presumptive trusting here regarding what Microsoft will do.  We don't know if they won't mess up again at all.  I will say that the 360 is likely to be slower out of the gate as people wait to see if the next XBox system will or won't have the same problems.  I know I will.  I will wait a year.  It also saves me the need to wait in line and all that other bits of insanity people do.

Every company has had a bad system, don't tell me you didn't go through a bunch of ps2's, I did.

ONE thing people don't see, no company has ever backed up there system with a warranty like M$ has Or admitted it had the problem.

So in terms of fixing the situation, I give M$ a A+

Banned2010 said:
thx1139 said:
WilliamWatts said:
thx1139 said:
Couple of things.

First we all know there is more sony fans on this site, on top of that they are really biased and can't admit that sony failed once before as well(PS2) NOT ON SALES BUT ON FAILURE RATE.

Yes sony does try but so does M$. Nintendo could of failed horrible with the release of wii. NINTENDO started what we have now, not only that but they took a hugh chance on motion controlles, so slow your role you sound way off.

M$ set the bar with xbox live and sony set it with I guess blue ray which I think is just a gate way to downloads.

First off you appear childish using M$ if you do that please call the others $ony and Nintendough.

OK. Now Nintendo did very little to move console hardware forward. Sony and MS are proving this with the Wand and Natal.  They are bringing motion controllers to thier consoles.  Yes they are doing it with an eye towards doing something slightly different, but they are proving that the console has nothing to do with it.  It is the software and the controller that is what is important. 

That gets me back to why I have thought for a couple of generations that Nintendo should become a software and accessory company.  Leave the console to others that are willing to invest in the console.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

thx1139 said:
WilliamWatts said:
thx1139 said:
Couple of things.

What bar are they setting, exactly? The most cost inefficient console to hit the market in recent times? Nintendo sets the bar for cost/performance as seen by the N64 and Gamecube, they set the bar for first party effectiveness and they set the bar for how to make money in the business. They are the most powerful publisher of content in the business bar none. Thats all they need to differentiate their console from others.

WilliamWatts said:
thx1139 said:
WilliamWatts said:
thx1139 said:
Couple of things.

What bar are they setting, exactly? The most cost inefficient console to hit the market in recent times? Nintendo sets the bar for cost/performance as seen by the N64 and Gamecube, they set the bar for first party effectiveness and they set the bar for how to make money in the business. They are the most powerful publisher of content in the business bar none. Thats all they need to differentiate their console from others.

I just want to say that you're entirely right about your points about Nintendo, except one.

They also did a huge mistake in the hardware business, the biggest blunder in this industry so far, bigger than the Atari Jaguar. The Virtual Boy. Which also caused the fall of the biggest Portable designer in the history of the market, Gunpei Yokoi. 

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

sony wont break even with the ps3 for like 5 years. making 1 billion a years for 5 years.and even that sounds like rubbish, so they probably wont ever break even with the ps3. the 360 on the other hand could be very close to breaking even in 2010 and will most likly come into the green in 2011.

Halo MCC will sell 5+ million copies(including digital)

halo 5 will sell 10 million copies(including digital)

x1 will pass ps4 in USA, and UK.