By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Do you often pirate things on a computer?

Do you often pirate things on a computer?

Yes all the time 68 38.42%

Sometimes 59 33.33%

I try not to 29 16.38%

No I never pirate 21 11.86%

Total:177

Usually music(most common), programs (software), movies (a bit rare) and anime. I've pirated a few ps2 games as well

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Around the Network

I don't pirate videogames or movies, sometimes I will pirate tv shows if I'm desperate to watch it. With music I'd been trying to avoid it, but I recently lost all my data and the 500 songs I bought from iTunes weren't backed up, and they told me I'd have to repurchase them all.

Personally I agree with what Nintendo do with VC and WiiWare when it comes to digital content-you pay for the right to use the content, not to download it a single time. I wish Apple would view things the same way.

Rainbird said:
NJ5 said:
Rainbird said:
I generally don't pirate anymore. I did a lot just a year ago though, but now I'd just feel bad about it. I don't like it.

Do you feel bad about pirating TV shows and old movies?

I mean, you can watch them on TV for free... and unless your viewing habits are being tracked, it's not like anyone will ever know that you watched it (on TV or with a copied version).

It's actually funny, but I don't have a problem recieving something pirated when I get it from a friend, but I don't like downloading things myself.

I guess in general, I don't like not feeling like I haven't got the right to view/listen/play something, unless I contribute something to its creator. Most of my music is pirated, but I haven't actually pirated music in ages.

I also have a thing about quality though, which comes into play with movies. I trust IMDB a lot when it comes to scores (as I usually agree with them), so I know which movies I want to watch and will most likely like. If it's a movie I think I'll like, I have no issue waiting for a blu-ray release. I still haven't seen Fight Club for instance, and I won't, until I get the blu-ray.

Fight Club bluray is already out lol

I'm better than you because I made my own. I'm cuter tooooooooo.

Mostly just music, and the occasional movie and game. I actually just downloaded Dragon Age for PC and it works perfectly. In all fairness though I also spend by far more money on games than most people I know.

I pirate everything.

The only genuine things I own are from about 6 years ago or more.

I pirate...

Xbox 360 games
PC games
DS games
Blurays
DVDs
Music CDs
TV shows\movies etc

I have all my media stored on a 10TB NAS and strea it where I like...It would be madness to actually buy anything since it's not worth paying for. But it can pass the item - my moral judgement at the end of the day..

What gets on my nerves are the members here who think it's ok to pirate PC games\TV shows but NOT games for their console. I think it just comes down to the fact you don't know how to do it. So play the moral judge card.

I'm better than you because I made my own. I'm cuter tooooooooo.

Around the Network
Ninky Nonk said:
Rainbird said:

It's actually funny, but I don't have a problem recieving something pirated when I get it from a friend, but I don't like downloading things myself.

I guess in general, I don't like not feeling like I haven't got the right to view/listen/play something, unless I contribute something to its creator. Most of my music is pirated, but I haven't actually pirated music in ages.

I also have a thing about quality though, which comes into play with movies. I trust IMDB a lot when it comes to scores (as I usually agree with them), so I know which movies I want to watch and will most likely like. If it's a movie I think I'll like, I have no issue waiting for a blu-ray release. I still haven't seen Fight Club for instance, and I won't, until I get the blu-ray.

Fight Club bluray is already out lol

I know, I just haven't gotten it yet.

I used to, now I am pretty clean. I don't pirate music, I only download live performances off youtube. (I don't know if that counts?)

I've never pirated games, but if it's an ancient game that I can't find for a reasonable price I'll just download it. (Ex: Transport Tycoon)

I've never downloaded a movie illegally ever.

My PC is the Caribbean dude. However the big stuff (Windows, Office, Norton) is legit.

I used to a long time ago when I was young and stupid and it was the popular thing to do and Napster was all the rage

Now I work in computer software and luckily no one will pirate my software, but I can completely understand not appreciating not being paid for your work. Also, the whole "I wouldn't have bought it anyways" doesn't make it acceptable in any way shape or form. Just accept that you're being an asshole and pirate away. Then at least you are being honest.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

nordlead said:
I used to a long time ago when I was young and stupid and it was the popular thing to do and Napster was all the rage

Now I work in computer software and luckily no one will pirate my software, but I can completely understand not appreciating not being paid for your work. Also, the whole "I wouldn't have bought it anyways" doesn't make it acceptable in any way shape or form. Just accept that you're being an asshole and pirate away. Then at least you are being honest.

It may not make it acceptable to some people, but the point still stands that when you're pirating something you would never be able to buy, you're not having a negative economic impact on the company selling the software. That's irrefutable.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957