By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - W29 60GB PS3 Review

W29, you need to come back to the dark side. (Or is Sony considered the dark side? lol). Dont you feel its powers calling you back?

Tempting you.....tugging at your soul...

PS360 ftw!

Currently playing..........

Gears of War 2, GTA IV Lost and Damned, Little Big Planet (Yes I said I had no interest but my girl wanted to try it and we did and now Im hooked )

Around the Network

So? I want to be a part of the PS3 community, and I already have every other current gen system.

You post like a PS3 guy, Montana. I always thought you had one.

"The only problem I have is that if I put my ear close to the back of the console. I can hear a rather buzzing or small chirping sound. I do notice that after 3 hours or so the console fan does start to kick into high gear and pushes the hot air out good."

The chirping you heard has been mentioned on the Sony site before but i'm not sure they have found out what was causing it, but it does not happen to all PS3's.

Regarding the louder fan after 3 hours, the PS3 has models that were made in china and japan, one of the models has a louder fan. But the heat that comes out of the system is crazy sometimes, i could cook food next to my Ps3.

I'm Pro-Sony to some extent, considering they have made the two best consoles of all time game-wise.

Still, until the PS3 is $300, I likely can't and won't buy it.

Around the Network

GO on ebay and get it for cheap.

PS: SNES is better than any playastation console

Playa-Station?

Is that some gangsta gaming machine?

"Possibly, but I personally think it's pretty silly to put movies in the formula. You don't get more than 2-3 hours of entertainment out of them and, well, I buy my game consoles to play games on. If you want to watch movies, buy a movie player. Don't tell me I'm wrong here. Don't try to argue with me. That is simply how I think and I couldn't care less what you have to say (not saying you're going to say anything, I just hate the PS3 is also a movie player argument) and that's about that. "

I kinda sorta both agree and disagree with you here.

Yes, movies are much shorter than games (although the price to hours spent watching/playing them ratio can be similar for shorter games like HS).

Yes it would be rather silly to buy a gaming machine to watch movies only (except when it was the cheapest Blu-Ray player).

But if there are movies that you really want to watch in HD (because you think it will add to the experience like some people think that playing games in HD add to their gaming experience) why shouldn't they be counted in the formula?

They shouldn't be the main reason to buy it but they may push somebody slightly past the tipping point between buying one and not buying one.

And as you said that formula is personal so while watching HD movies might not be an incentive to buy a PS3 for you just like playing games from the current line up is not incentive enough for you they might be for someone else.

As for me, HD movie watching is a nice side benefit but it won't make me buy a PS3, nor will the current PS3 line-up at the current price/feature-set so I will be waiting for the price to drop and hoping that the 40GB flops so that Sony reintroduces BC in the PS3 (as per Phil Harrison's comment) so I can just wait for it to come down to a price that is good for me and hopefully they will introduce a EE+GS model in PAL territories (where I am) if the 40GB flopping makes them think BC is important or at least drastically improve the GS only PS3's BC.

So far it looks like I will buy a 60GB US model off off eBay in a few years and use some Action Replay like device to play my PAL PS2 games on it (but then I wonder if I will have problems with the 110v->240v current change between US and PAL).

"I do not suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it"

I say keep the PS3 and get a 360. Problem solved. Best of both worlds (of gaming).

If that is too expensive, maybe ask for the 360 as a present? or buy the Arcade model? You sound like someone who loves gaming more than Sony/MS, so I bet you'd be most happy with both systems as they will both offer awesome lineups (in different ways/genres) in the next few years. Good luck and enjoy gaming as best you can. Have fun with it (because that is what games are really about right?).