By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony is domed yet again (3-D t.v)

Staude said:
it likely doesn't work that well if the content isn't optimised for it. I mean, when they make 3d content themselves they'll be able to decide what should be where in the 3 dimensional image. With this technology it'll guess so to speak. It'll just create a 3d image by making another image.. Who knows. It might work well though.

It's true, even with the cell the TV won't be able to recreate some of the missing datas you need in order to give a real tridimensional feel especially if we're talking about TV programms. 3D is not just about doubling the same image and slightly shifting them, you need two different images taken from different angle views to recreate the depth of field necessary that gives you the impression the objects are comming out of the screen.

Around the Network

haha, 3 definitions!

So, you still need the right tv to do it, right? How is that any different from the sony tv?

theprof00 said:
haha, 3 definitions!

So, you still need the right tv to do it, right? How is that any different from the sony tv?

We still need the details cause sony is tight lipped about how their new TVs work. But from what we know...

Sony 3D TV - takes the 3D feed and shows it in 3D to the user

Toshiba 3D TV - takes ANY 2D feed and makes it 3D for the user

disolitude said:
theprof00 said:
haha, 3 definitions!

We still need the details cause sony is tight lipped about how their new TVs work. But from what we know...

I hope this isn't another case of Sony giving us more tech than we need. Although 2D to 3D conversion will be inferior, it will be more accessible and useful to the average consumer. I really hope the Sony tv didn't overshoot the market again.

theprof00 said:
disolitude said:
theprof00 said:
haha, 3 definitions!

I hope this isn't another case of Sony giving us more tech than we need. Although 2D to 3D conversion will be inferior, it will be more accessible and useful to the average consumer. I really hope the Sony tv didn't overshoot the market again.

The thing is, Samsung and Toshiba TVs do the exact same as the Sony TVs. We did not hear of what Samsung TVs are offering but they have been offering 3D tvs since 2007 so they should be ahead of the pack.

Toshiba surprised everyone with this annoncement as they have no prior 3D experience. Their TV can still watch the same 3D feed as sonys TV...but apperently has the ability to convert PS3, 360, DVD, Bluray...to 3D on the fly.

2d to 3d software is available but no one has been able to do it on the fly...

Around the Network

I found this on yahoo! about the 2d to 3d converters:

So-so looking 2D-to-3D conversion
Both Samsung and Toshiba are promising on-board 2D-to-3D conversion on their sets, and as you might expect ... the effect only looks fair, at best. I saw a demo clip showing airborne views of a forest, a soccer match, a gushing creek, and so on, and the visuals looked ... well, they had what I'd call "pseudo depth," conveying the sense that the image was stretching behind the screen but not of a real 3D landscape. It's not terrible by any stretch, but don't expect an on-the-fly 2D-to-3D conversion of "The Empire Strikes Back" or Anderson Cooper to look anything like the real 3D thing.

haha, this is from another article on yahoo!

"The world is about to witness the rebirth of Nintendo's Virtual Boy debacle -- only on an epic scale worthy of James Cameron."
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Why-3D-TV-Will-minyanville-3976255288.html?x=0

3-D tv will turn out like the beta max lol

VITA 32 GIG CARD.250 GIG SLIM & 160 GIG PHAT PS3

theprof00 said:
I found this on yahoo! about the 2d to 3d converters:

So-so looking 2D-to-3D conversion
Both Samsung and Toshiba are promising on-board 2D-to-3D conversion on their sets, and as you might expect ... the effect only looks fair, at best. I saw a demo clip showing airborne views of a forest, a soccer match, a gushing creek, and so on, and the visuals looked ... well, they had what I'd call "pseudo depth," conveying the sense that the image was stretching behind the screen but not of a real 3D landscape. It's not terrible by any stretch, but don't expect an on-the-fly 2D-to-3D conversion of "The Empire Strikes Back" or Anderson Cooper to look anything like the real 3D thing.

Yeah, I don't think it will be as good as the real 3d feed. I do think it will work ok for videogames though. Video games have a visual consistency that movies don't.

Nevertheless I am also sure that it won't be as good as actual optimized 3D feed.

theprof00 said:
haha, this is from another article on yahoo!

"The world is about to witness the rebirth of Nintendo's Virtual Boy debacle -- only on an epic scale worthy of James Cameron."
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Why-3D-TV-Will-minyanville-3976255288.html?x=0

3D will only fail if they try to mass market it...which they are. So yeah, it will fail :)

To do it properly it is expensive and a lot of people won't thik its worth it... Its a nice little niche form of entertainment for people willing to spend 1000s of dollars. But mass market wont bite...IMO