By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - So, what do you think about GAME ROOM?

I was around back then (only had an Atari 2600; hey I was REALLY young), but I honestly have no desire to relive any of those old games. Sure, Pitfall 2 was great for back then, but I just can't do gaming THAT retro. I still have problems playing most 8-bit games.

What I like about this, as well as the motion gaming craze, is that I understand and appreciate that not all gaming has to appeal to ME as a gamer, just like TV, movies, comics, books, etc. In fact, most of us should take a look at a list of games that have been released for the console you own and count out how many of those games would NEVER appeal to you. You'd recognize immediately how broad gaming already is and its just going to reach out more and more.

Maybe I should've done this as a separate thread ...

Around the Network

I already mentioned on another thread, my country is not supported, thus, when I go to the store for some games... "There is no content available"

Well, fail.

That's right, just one "d"

In b4 "it's addict"
-----------------------------------------------
Add me:

I played a little last night and it was interesting but I am just absolutely baffled why they decided to exactly emulate the worst part of the Atari-- fiddling with the switches.

The nostalgia is nice but it really isn't fun futzing with those. I don't see myself messing with it much right now because I don't like the selection of games much but as they get more games I'll give it a go again.

They'll add a lot more titles over time. Obviously they can't nor wouldn't release more content than users would buy right from launch.

I'm not sure what's the point of having a virtual arcade if you can't hang out and meet random people though. Or hang out with friend list people who could play your games and vice versa. Maybe to give avatars a purpose other than 100 vs 1?

Better off just selling the titles like XBLA games if they don't intend to add social elements to the arcade concept.

I think it's retarded that you play a character that plays arcade games. The game room is just there... you still have to buy the games, or waste money for single tries on games that don't shine. Why do you guys think arcade games died?

Around the Network
shio said:
I think it's retarded that you play a character that plays arcade games. The game room is just there... you still have to buy the games, or waste money for single tries on games that don't shine. Why do you guys think arcade games died?

Arcades died because people could get more or less the same social experience at home, not because they had to pump away quarters (though not having to do that was a bonus).

imo indy games should be in gameroom would be swell

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

twesterm said:
shio said:

Arcades died because people could get more or less the same social experience at home, not because they had to pump away quarters (though not having to do that was a bonus).

When portable systems let you game anywhere, home systems look good enough for people, and you can game for free in malls at places that sell videogames, the writing went on the wall for arcades.  Now, motion control has eliminated about the last remains of why you would go out to the arcade.  HOWEVER, what we hyave now is not the same thing as the arcades of old.  It is fun having one's own arcade.  I am enjoying going back to old school style play, in an arcade setting.

Skeeuk said:
imo indy games should be in gameroom would be swell

It would ber awesome if Game Room gets reworked into being a launcher for Live Arcade games, and also Indy stuff.  Yes, I would pay $1 extra to have a virtual cabinet in order to play stuff I have in Live, like Arkanoid.  Imagine that you would get a free arcade cabinet for Game Room if you bought a Live Arcade game within the first week of it being launched. 

Marvel vs Capcom 2 could end up in your arcade.  I also hope Indie games could get into it to.  I would love an arcade cabinet for Miner: Dig Deep.

Meh...but I'll check it out, especialy if I can get some achievements for them.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder