By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will NSMB Wii reach 10m faster than any other single-console game?

Will NSMB Wii reach 10m faster than any other single-console game?

Yes! 118 76.13%

No! 13 8.39%

....Holy Hell, it's selling THAT fast?! 24 15.48%

Total:155

After six weeks, New Super Mario Bros. Wii is sitting pretty at about 8.6 million units sold. It will reach 10m very quickly, but the question is how quickly.

The current record holder is the PS2 version of Grant Theft Auto: Sand Andres, which, I believe, took 10 weeks to reach 10 million units sold.

So, New Super Mario Bros. Wii would need to break 10 million in three more weeks to break San Andreas's old record and become, by this particular metric, the fastest-selling single-platform game of all time.

Can it do it? Will it do it?

Edit: Seems like San Andreas reached it in nine weeks.

Around the Network

I don't know! This game is impossible to to predict what it will do next...

Former something....

It looks like the 8.2 million after 6 weeks might be an under estimation based on Nintendos press release on this site today. 

One thing is for sure - the game will have MUCH longer legs than San Andreas.   Its likely to be a 20+ million selling game all told.

niallyb

Why isn't there an option for "I dunno, but it's gonna be close!"?

Bet with Dr.A.Peter.Nintendo that Super Mario Galaxy 2 won't sell 15 million copies up to six months after it's release, the winner will get Avatar control for a week and signature control for a month.

Well I think it took 9 weeks actually for Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. Check out the comparison:

http://vgchartz.com/swlaunch.php?reg1=All&game1=New+Super+Mario+Bros.+Wii+-+Wii[35076]&reg2=All&game2=Grand+Theft+Auto%3A+San+Andreas+-+PS2[3427]&reg3=All&game3=Call+of+Duty%3A+Modern+Warfare+2+-+X360[28848]&weeks=15

Also it's worth noting San Andreas hadn't had a Japan release then, but if you align Japan launch with the others it still took 9 weeks.

So when we are looking at New Super Mario Bros Wii we could either do it consecutively or align all the weeks together from all regions (because Japan launched 2 weeks later) and go from there. Still looks like it should do it either way and definitely if align Japan launch with the others.

Around the Network
RageBot said:

Option 3 kind of is that.

@Zucas:

This is not using aligned launches. If we did that, the contest would not be as interesting.

Well, i've just read the thread again plus the facts and realized:

You don't need option two! :P

(99% it wil get to 10 mil before it's ninth week)

Bet with Dr.A.Peter.Nintendo that Super Mario Galaxy 2 won't sell 15 million copies up to six months after it's release, the winner will get Avatar control for a week and signature control for a month.

Khuutra said:
RageBot said:

@Zucas:

This is not using aligned launches. If we did that, the contest would not be as interesting.

You mean it wouldn't go in your favour ...

Khuutra said:
RageBot said:

@Zucas:

Well 9 weeks is still the time to beat.  So to kinda lay it out NSMB Wii is at 8.61 million after 6 weeks and GTA: SA sold about 10.06 million in 9 weeks.  Would need to sell more than 1.45 million in the next 3 weeks. 

Its a possibility, I think it could happen.

Odd. Future. Wolf. Gang. Kill. Em. All. OFWGKTA Don't give a fuck!

Fuck Steve Harvey. FREE EARL!

Final Fantasy Versus XIII will be the GREATEST game EVER made!!!

I'd take a bullet for Square-Enix!