By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why no audio upgrade for the Wii?

I recently decided to buy a Wii but I had one major problem with it, the audio tech it uses. It is the exact same technology used in the gamecube. Everthing else in the Wii was upgraded. For example the Wii had more ram, a more powerful cpu and graphics card but the audio is exactly the same, Dolby Pro Logic II.  Why not upgrade to Dolby Digital or even  Dolby Pro Logic IIx. Actually why didn't they use Dolby Pro Logic IIx, I'm sure its cheaper then using Dolby Digital Plus or TrueHD.

I know most people don't care (ill admit the only reason I care is because I have a Yamaha home system) but it must bother people that Nintendo didn't even try to upgrade the audio. Yes I know the controller has a speaker but couldn't they add a little more.

Also it is possible to upgrade Dolby Pro Logic II to Dolby Pro Logic IIx through a firmware update?

Anyway, what to guys think about this?

Around the Network

I'm still using stereo...from the TV speakers.

Don't kill me!

There is no such thing as a console war. This is the first step to game design.

@Chadius

Don't worry about about it. Ill tell you a secret, I don't have a HDtv.

Mono....

I thought that there was a slight change in the audio spec? Are you sure it's exactly the same chip?

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

Around the Network

What percentage of Wii owners would benefit from Dolby Digital? (Note: I would. But I'm fairly certain I'm in the minority.)

@Donwii
Mono, Seriously?

@DarkNight
I'm pretty sure its the same though I could be wrong.

@Entroper

I understand it wouldn't benefit most wii owners now but I'm sure it would useful 3 years down the line.

I'm actually more disapointed that they didn't even really try to upgrade the audio. Like how much more expensive it is to upgrade to Dolby Pro Logic IIx.

BTW- I don't know if Dolby Pro Logic IIx is worth the upgrade. It might be a piece of shit for all I know but it sounds pretty useful.

What's the cost/benefit ratio of this feature?  Is it a major console selling point?

You probably will find the desired answers in the answers to those two questions.

I have an HDTV but only have a Dolby Pro Logic amp. So the Wii spec suits me just fine. I'm sure quite a few other's are in the same boat.

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

I realize HDTV adoption is rising, but is 5.1 adoption rising?