By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Incredible but rejeceted Mortal Kombat 9 art

if you cant see the pics link: http://kotaku.com/5408869/the-mortal-kombat-that-should-have-been

Ex-Midway artist Vincent Proce went back to the drawing board for a pitched, but ultimately rejected visual reboot of the developer's venerable Mortal Kombat franchise, posting the results of that back-to-basics design plan on his personal blog.

Proce, who contributed to Midway's final fighting game (Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe) before being snapped up by Warner Bros, wrote that the re-imagining of the MK franchise proposed "mixing modern muti-player and dismemberment game design with the original fighting mechanic." The artist's take on four Mortal Kombat mainstays—Raiden, Kano, Scorpion and Sonya Blade—are dramatic, gritty and, for the most part, a welcome change.

Proce describes his Scorpion as "a wraith wearing the yellow blood of the demon" that resurrected him, his Kano as "half Japanese half US military bad ass." His Sonya, which will likely draw the most criticism, was redesigned as "the daughter of a Texas Ranger who's sex appeal weakens her opponents while her Special Forces training kicks their asses." Finally, his Raiden pitch portrays "a god [whose] feet rarely touch the ground."

We're not sure what direction the Mortal Kombat team is taking the series at its new home, but I'm personally hoping it's more along these lines—a darker, more dramatic, less comic book-like treatment with a pared down cast—than what we got with Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe. I enjoyed that game as much as the next guy, but I like my MK with a little less Wonder Woman.

* I have no idea why they rejected the this new art desigh... but im loving it, but its good to know WB games(midway) is doing good and the gsme is set for fall 2010

Around the Network

Dam she looks good !

Before MKVSDC was announced, Boon mentioned he wanted a darker grittier MK. Then MKVSDC was announced and it went out the window

So far they've said this is gory and a true MK sequel, however they have let me down to many times for my trust, I wouldn't be surprised if we get MKVSDC2, I want a true MK9 with new characters and more BRUTAL fatalitys!

Also is it just my dirty mind or does the left side of her sword look like a "sword ...." spilling ... *sigh*

I am really at a lost for words at why they would reject this art, Scorpion looks badass... I want to see Sub-Zero redrawn by this guy

Around the Network
Seece said:
Also is it just my dirty mind or does the left side of her sword look like a "sword ...." spilling ... *sigh*

lol.... wooooow. lol,....nice find

i hope they get different models from the ones we saw in DC Vs MK and get more brutal and FAST PACED (most important thing)

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

I just want to see MK started over from scratch... the current storyline is a mess, and I hope they get rid of the weird looking movements in the game

Scorpion looks super freaky badass. Also what's up with Sonya's penis sword?

the only out of place thing is that boxing glove sonya is wearing. Everything looks good though.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive