By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Naughty Dog talks about the Wii and motion controlls

Naughty Dog has worked on some pretty significant franchises such like Crash Bandicoot, Jak & Dexter, and most recently, Uncharted. While the company has been busy with the PlayStation 3 in recent years, the company will not be developing a Wii title anytime soon, as they are a subsidiary of Sony.

With that said, Naughty Dog co-president Evan Wells appreciates the system. In an interview, Wells was asked if Naughty Dog has been considering motion control for the future. In his response, Wells discussed some of his feelings regarding the Wii and complemented some of its software.

"I think right for the genre that we're in? We really don't have any interest in using the motion control to do a third-person action game. If we were going to make a motion controller game, I think we'd want to tackle it from the bottom up and make sure that we were designing the game around the motion control, the way the best Wii games are designed. I'm not a Wii hater at all, in fact, it's probably one of my most played consoles in the house. I have a 3-year old son which might account for some of that [laughs], but I think Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort are some of the best experiences of this generation, honestly. They're immensely playable and competitive, and just great fun with a group of people in the same room. Yeah, I think the PlayStation audience is totally for it, in fact, I bet you there are lot of closet Wii owners in the PlayStation community. If there is some really good software for that motion controller, I think it can be a big, big success."

http://www.nintendoeverything.com/30362/

Around the Network

How could he have said something like that? I thought, I thought Sony developers are paid by Sony to say negative stuff about other companies and glorify PS3 hardware! :O

haxxiy said:

How could he have said something like that? I thought, I thought Sony developers are paid by Sony to say negative stuff about other companies and glorify PS3 hardware! :O

Sony is not microsoft.

OMG, now that naughty dog gained my trust I can shake the fog outta my eyes and see they're good developers
(did I say that!!?)

Of course he would say that he work at a studio owned by Sony why would he.....Ohhhh wrong response nvm.

Around the Network

-_- Come on guys, cut the trolling out, its a good article and he makes some good points as well. No reason to ruin some good discussion.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Naughty Dog is really proving to itself that it is very innovative.

That's Gordon Freeman in "Real-Life"

i think alot of the people who own an hd console alot of times have a wii along with it.. but dont have both hd consoles. its like having cookies with soda!haha

I BET NATHAN DRAKE CAN KICK SAM FISHERS ASS!

Perfectly sane and honest reply by a dev.... refreshing...

He makes good points, and his comments show that ND really are a good developer, and understand you can't just tack on motion controls, you have to design for them right from the basic principles of the game.

Also, I'd note I'm 'out the closet' as I happily mix playing on Wii with playing on PS3.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...