By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Just Dance: Decent Advertising, Strange sales and fun. A Sleepter hit?

famousringo said:
TomaTito said:

With user generated ads like this, it takes off all workload on Ubisoft's side.

I know I'm more interested in the title than I was five minutes ago!

And if people enjoy it, what does it matter?  And if they don't, also what does it matter?  I have no interest in it, but if others have fun, that is cool.

Next up, people will be demanding less games like Carcassone appear on the XBox 360.  I am concerned they will be a full-blown protest on here if Puerto Rico ever gets released (it is currently my favorite game of all types), because it isn't "core" enough, and doesn't involve enough gore and violence.

Around the Network
Kenology said:
richardhutnik said:
How about we live and let live, and if people actually enjoy the game, does it matter what the core reviewers thing? I remember seeing how Deer Hunter was ruthlessly mauled by reviewers. However, I know my father ended up playing on the PC for hours at that game, and he never played anything else. He is into hunting.

This.

The general enthusiast press hate most games not tailored to them.  But for other people, those games can be great fun.  This is why the snobcore hate the Wii and the PEOPLE love it.

Yes, and I suppose this kind of attitude isn't snobby at all.

God, it's like a game can't even be bad anymore if it's casual. I've had fun with bad movies, but that doesn't change the fact that they're bad movies and that they should be reviewed as such.

I can't wait for the delicious tears of fanboys when games of this 'caliber' make it onto their consoles.

Things that need to die in 2016: Defeatist attitudes of Nintendo fans

richardhutnik said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
richardhutnik said:
hsrob said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
"The latter should be a lesson to many game developers whose offerings have not done well on the Wii. People need to know to buy the games."

Imagine commercials of people swinging the Wiimote like a baseball bat or a katana while playing Chop Till You Drop, or people doing the moves in Madworld.

They would have sold better.

You beat me to it.  People complain about games like this selling well on the Wii but if "good games" got anywhere near as much advertising as this I'm pretty sure they'd sell well too.

No amount of advertising is going to generate interest in a game that doesn't intrinsically appeal to large numbers of people.  "Just Dance" does appeal to people.  Why would people suddenly get interested in Chop Til You Drop, or MadWorld, if they were advertised.  I have next to NO interest in MadWorld, due to its excessive gore (I learned my lesson when I bought No More Heroes on they hype).  Also Chop Til You Drop is the worst version of Dead Rising, despite the controls being different.

You're using your own preference as an audience gauge. Doesn't work that way.

I'm not claiming the sales would be huge, just greater than they are.

I used my preference in games as an example of how advertising isn't effective if a target audience doesn't care about a game.  I brought up Chop because it was mentioned, and also mentioned MadWorld, because this title is mentioned that it would get a LOT of sales, if it was advertised more.  I personally have ZERO interest also in Just Dance, but I am willing to admint that others would find it interesting, likely more than would over Chop or MadWorld.

That IS what I meant. By claiming just because you didn't care for them, you speak for the target audience, you are full of it.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

xlost4 said:
^by that statement you made be look just like your avatar

sent via PC

Yeah pretty much :)

Gaming make me feel GOOD!

Around the Network

This is just further proof that good reviews don't always = good sales and vise versa. Sometimes a game has a certain appeal to it that the majority of the game reviewers, at least the core ones, don't pick up on. Games like Game Party, Carnival Games, Cabela, and now Just Dance. Definitely not my cup of tea, but I realize that certain people may find this game appealing so more power to them. To each his own

I think the female market is a really underestimated one, especially in regards to Wii sales, and a lot of the games that we scratch our heads when they sell, such as Ea Sports Active, Just Dance, Boogie, etc, sell to this female audience. I am actually getting my sister the Jillian Michaels fitness game because she likes her workout videos.

Wii really is a console for everyone, which is why it gets so many sales.

Metallicube said:
This is just further proof that good reviews don't always = good sales and vise versa. Sometimes a game has a certain appeal to it that the majority of the game reviewers, at least the core ones, don't pick up on. Games like Game Party, Carnival Games, Cabela, and now Just Dance. Definitely not my cup of tea, but I realize that certain people may find this game appealing so more power to them. To each his own

I think the female market is a really underestimated one, especially in regards to Wii sales, and a lot of the games that we scratch our heads when they sell, such as Ea Sports Active, Just Dance, Boogie, etc, sell to this female audience. I am actually getting my sister the Jillian Michaels fitness game because she likes her workout videos.

Wii really is a console for everyone, which is why it gets so many sales.

Quality is no substitute for having people do things they just have no interest in doing.  For example, I have interest in a bunch of boardgames out of Europe I think are awesome (go by the name "Euros" and you can learn about them here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com ) .  I wouldn't expect most people here to be interested in them, but it doesn't diminish my interest in them or makes them any worse, or that heavily advertising them would end up causing people here to play them.

Consider this review of "The Operational Art of War", which is a computer take on board wargames, and considered one of the best ones of this types ever by those who like such things:

http://www.game-over.net/review/june/opwar/index.html

In a flurry of releases today I get stuck with The Operational Art of War Volume 1. Am I bitter? No, because I can take it out on this review. For those of you who happen to like playing Risk and Stratego with your families on Friday night this is the game for you. Avid war gamers (the four of you out there) go ahead and grab this. However if you have a computer more powerful than a 486SX and enjoy games with real excitement and replay value.. one word: SKIP.

(Then you get a bunch of garbage comments and then the ending):

Overall Impression: 3/ 10

This is the last time I let Phire choose a review for me. I hope I offended all you war-strat gamers with this butcher. I hope that I don't get nightmares from this game. I hope you take my words to heart and maybe we can kill off the war strategy genre once and for all.

Overall Rating: 34 / 100

The reviewer had an agenda to kill off a game that just isn't what he likes... because it isn't his thing.  I believe the reviewer was canned by the website for doing this.  I will say the fragging of "Just Dance" by reviewers comes close to the mentality in this review.

I just bought this game and loving it

sent via PC

xlost4 said:
I just bought this game and loving it

sent via PC

Yay now we can all look RETARD:D

Gaming make me feel GOOD!

sold out on amazon.ca o.0