By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The PSP Go was a MAJOR flop. We need to talk about it.

i dont think $ had to do wit it i think it was the fact that the screen is smaller and that it doesnt have a umd drive had bigger effects on it

also sony needs to do something bout the trigger buttons there should be 4 of them and 2 sticks if they want there handhelds to have big sales imo

also not feeling the all digital format they need to come up with a new format mini bluray or something for the next gen psps

it doesnt matter thought the psp is sonys 1st attempt at handhelds and i dont think that the psp gen was a flop for sony give them time im sure theyll perfect there handheld line in the future

Play Me

Around the Network

it hasn't flopped sony knows what they r doin....and it is prob overperformin accordin to their expectations. If they really wanted to push psp go they would've and sony wouldn't promote more psp 3000 bundles...it's all good in the neghbourhood

While it is being viewed as a flop now, it was good strategy to release it.

kowenicki said:

Analogy:

Sept 09: Sony launch the PS3Slim at a higher price than the existing PS3 currently on sale, with no blu-ray but with a 500gb HDD. You have to buy download-only games and movies....

Anyone interested?

Analogy dont work with what you pointed out. The size is a big factor in handheld compare to console. The point of removing the UMD drive was to make it smaller. Also when we talk about portable technologies, smaller is usually more expensive.

Icyedge said:
kowenicki said:

Analogy:

Sept 09: Sony launch the PS3Slim at a higher price than the existing PS3 currently on sale, with no blu-ray but with a 500gb HDD. You have to buy download-only games and movies....

Anyone interested?

Analogy dont work with what you pointed out. The size is a big factor in handheld compare to console. The point of removing the UMD drive was to make it smaller. Also when we talk about portable technologies, smaller is usually more expensive.

The point of download only also only applies to portability. No UMDs makes the system more portable.

Around the Network
theprof00 said:
Icyedge said:
kowenicki said:

Analogy:

Anyone interested?

The point of download only also only applies to portability. No UMDs makes the system more portable.

Yes also, thx you the prof ;).

No matter what pages of anonymous forum posters say Sony said they where happy with sales and it sold above expectations. It doesn't matter if expectations where low if its viable for Sony and aint a flop for them it aint a flop... no matter what you guys think.

Hahaha, you had me at "We need to talk about it."

The PSP Go's sales are struggling for fairly simple reasons.

You can do pretty much everything and get all the major benefits of the Go with a regular 3000 and a memory card, and most importantly, depending on where you shop, and where you are in the world, you can get the 3000 AND the memory card for a fair amount cheaper than the Go on it's own.

Then with the 3000 you can either decide to download a game from PSN or buy the UMD version based on whichever is cheapest. I have looked into it in the past and a lot of games were cheaper on UMD than they were from PSN, that may have changed now but you can guarantee that put off a hell of a lot of people at launch.

Make the console cheaper, make the downloads cheaper, and it will stand a chance. Until both happen, it's dead in the water regardless of how Sony try and spin it...

VGChartz

^Its not meant to generate and gain new consumers. Hence the price point. The price point is for the hardcore crowd to purchase it and give feedback on it. So that if they make a PSP 2 or another revision then they know what to add. Not a single casual owner in there right mind would purchase a PSP Go over a PSP 2000 or 3000. Think logically when you are thinking what Sony is doing because its well obvious.

Most see it as a new SKU trying to phase out the PSP 3000. Its motive is not to do that. Its motive is what I explained above in my post.

Sent via BlackBerry