By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Genres you wish would just die off

I don't want any specific genre to die, but I agree with one comment I read in this thread.. Movie games have to go and die! Other than that, I wish the FPS genre would slow the fuck down a bit. I play them, I enjoy them, but it's getting a bit too much.

Around the Network
DaBuddahN said:
I don't want any specific genre to die, but I agree with one comment I read in this thread.. Movie games have to go and die! Other than that, I wish the FPS genre would slow the fuck down a bit. I play them, I enjoy them, but it's getting a bit too much.

I disagree about movie games dying. They don't need to die, and they certainly shouldn't. They just need to stop sucking.

Remember...Goldeneye for the Nintendo 64 was a movie based game.

MontanaHatchet said:
DaBuddahN said:

I disagree about movie games dying. They don't need to die, and they certainly shouldn't. They just need to stop sucking.

Remember...Goldeneye for the Nintendo 64 was a movie based game.

You do have a point... Some of the old James Bond games were pretty well made. But I have seen too much movie game suckage, that I want them to die! But if they can be improved, I will give them one last chance before I send them off to be beheaded. :P

sugarEXpress said:
coolestguyever said:
1. JRPG's - They are super boring. WRPG's like Fallout, Fable, Oblivion, etc are great though.

2. Music games - Is there any difference between Guitar Hero 5 and Guitar Hero besides the track list and adding drums (which they copied off of rock band)???

3. Fighting games - They were fun in the 80's and 90's but come on; Street Fighter 4 sucked ass! Face it, fighting games aren't what they used to be. They were fun in arcades but not at home, especially if your just playing single player because your friends can't come over.

4. Party games - Do I even need to explain this?

5. Exercise games - Seriously this genre is a joke. I'm pretty sure you burn more calories jogging outside then you do doing weird stretches and movements on some balance board that costs like $100. Now I'm not dissing the Wii, I'm dissing the exercise genre.

Oh and I wish Treyarch would die. Infinity Ward owns them.

It's not the games fault that you have no friends to play with. ;/

Yeah okay Mr. Big tough internet guy.

@ naznatips: You may be right about stof's opinion (or not), but I for one think that the following badass IP concepts are workable (and I hope Mr Khan agrees, even if a bug in the system prevents him from being on my friends list):
1) a character's road to badassery and follow-ups contained therein (i.e. Link of "Zelda" fame),
2) a character which doesn't try to be a badass, but simply is (such as Master Chief of "Halo" fame),
3) a caricature of someone trying to be a badass, who fails miserably (Duke Nukem in a nutshell),
or 4) a serious/hilarious combination of two or all of the above (like my suggested IP, see page nine of this thread at default post-per-page setting).
Anything else can be of a ridiculous or even disturbing execution...

My Wii Friend Code is: 6458-0869-2019-9754

Also, my 3DS Friend Code is: 1891-1193-6272

And my Pokemon White Friend Code is: 2408-6863-8559

PM me with your corresponding code if you Friend me!

Around the Network
lestatdark said:
Strategyking92 said:
JRPG's: Because they are mostly stupid emo shit.
Car Combat: Car combat games just don't work. See twisted metal and full auto.
mini game genre: pretty much because it's destroying the industry.

Seriously, do you need to refer to a gaming genre with those words? You may not like it, but that isn't the right attitude.

Would you enjoy people calling RTS something similar?  

People can say whatever they want, it's an opinion thread.

It's not like I'm insulting your family. Seriously people, lighten up. Too many constipated people in here.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Barozi said:

MMORPGs, Fitness "Games" and Mini Game Collections

ROFL love this one man. MMO's are at an influx. I admit I use to play Everquest 1 when it came out and lasted several years and still remains my favorite. I did WoW (too many angry 14 yr olds claiming to be 25). I honestly haven't bothered with fitness games, I just do calisthenics lately (haven't hit the gym in over a month but want to stay healthy). I guess fitness games is a nice gimmick that appeals to the casual market. Mini game collections I honestly don't know, I haven't bothered with them.

lestatdark said:
I don't really understand how someone who calls himself a gamer can actually want a gaming genre to die, just because they don't like it.

What about the other thousand or million gamers in this world who actually enjoy something different from you? Oh that's right, only "my opinion" counts, sorry about that :)

Personally I think that all genres should stay, but I would like to see more platformers, I really miss the golden age of platforming, the SNES/Genesis era :)

I can agree with this. I personally would like some genres to slow down but not die, as there is a  market out there for any game. I loved platformers from back in the day too, Kid Chameleon on the Genesis was amazing and I liked Blue's Journey on the Neo Geo. And well SMB3 still holds a special place in my heart (as far as NES is concerned). On a side note, who agrees that they should remake River City Ransom, one of the best NES games ever!

coolestguyever said:
sugarEXpress said:
coolestguyever said:
1. JRPG's - They are super boring. WRPG's like Fallout, Fable, Oblivion, etc are great though.

2. Music games - Is there any difference between Guitar Hero 5 and Guitar Hero besides the track list and adding drums (which they copied off of rock band)???

3. Fighting games - They were fun in the 80's and 90's but come on; Street Fighter 4 sucked ass! Face it, fighting games aren't what they used to be. They were fun in arcades but not at home, especially if your just playing single player because your friends can't come over.

4. Party games - Do I even need to explain this?

5. Exercise games - Seriously this genre is a joke. I'm pretty sure you burn more calories jogging outside then you do doing weird stretches and movements on some balance board that costs like $100. Now I'm not dissing the Wii, I'm dissing the exercise genre.

Oh and I wish Treyarch would die. Infinity Ward owns them.

It's not the games fault that you have no friends to play with. ;/

Yeah okay Mr. Big tough internet guy.

LOL well said. As for fighting games, you don't NEED to play alone as SF4 has online, Wii ha Tatsunoko vs Capcom which is also nice, MvC2 for the 360/PS3 is also alot of fun. I still play KoF 98, 2003 and 2004 with friends that come along. Lots of people seem to be forgetting that local MP is lots of fun, remember Golden Eye? Hell we sometimes play Killer Instincts together. 

SF4 is not GREAT but it is a solid game and the focus attack system adds alot of depth to that game if you know how to play it, although I am a big SF3:TS fan. Guilty Gear X and X2 are probably 2 overlooked games that to this day are some of the best in the genre, along with Garou: Mark of The Wolves. As Vgchartz stated Blazblue is another amazing fighting game that has been overlooked but it is an excellent spiritual successor to Guilty Gear. 

Comments like "Oh I wish Treyarch would die. Infinity Ward owns them" is highly distasteful. I personally don't like IW and Activision's cash-in off of MW2 (I prefer MW1 and KZ2 by far), but I understand that each company has several PEOPLE working for it and in this hard time with the economy I wouldn't want to wish for anyone to lose their job and make life even harder for their families. I also don't like M$ forcing Bungie to make Halo after Halo after Halo, but again, lots of people that need the jobs, and despite being a Sony fan, M$'s existence is good for competition, or else Sony and Nintendo's quality of games wouldn't be pushing the envelope.

onikenshi said:
lestatdark said:
I don't really understand how someone who calls himself a gamer can actually want a gaming genre to die, just because they don't like it.

What about the other thousand or million gamers in this world who actually enjoy something different from you? Oh that's right, only "my opinion" counts, sorry about that :)

Personally I think that all genres should stay, but I would like to see more platformers, I really miss the golden age of platforming, the SNES/Genesis era :)

I can agree with this. I personally would like some genres to slow down but not die, as there is a  market out there for any game. I loved platformers from back in the day too, Kid Chameleon on the Genesis was amazing and I liked Blue's Journey on the Neo Geo. And well SMB3 still holds a special place in my heart (as far as NES is concerned). On a side note, who agrees that they should remake River City Ransom, one of the best NES games ever!

agreed