By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - The Orange Box = A box full of fun...

I cracked open "The Orange Box" last night (for my 360)... The first thing I did was jump into Portal.  At first, it didn't seem like much and was rather wacky.  Once I got the hang of it, though, it was a blast.  Seriously fun game -- just a shame it only took about 5 hours start to finish.  I am going back to play "expert mode" now... I generally hate puzzle/platformer types, but this provides a unique angle on the puzzle idea.

I've never played any of the previous half-life titles before.  I put in Half Life two and played a couple of hours.  So far it's really cool.

If you haven't already purchased The Orange Box, I highly recommend you do so.  Portal is almost worth the price of admission all by itself...

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Around the Network

Dude ... check out my review on my gaming blog ...

http://www.dukecitygamerz.com

And yeah, the game rocks ... welcome to the club!

Yeah, the entire orange box is my complete life right now. I'm only not playing it because I am at school... It seriously has everything, Team Fortress covers multiplayer amazingly, Half Life 2 is like an entire world itself, almost never ending, and Portal.... Not only is it one of the most absolutely enjoyable games ever, it has an absoluytely amazing song at the end of it. Even after you beat the 5 hours the advanced stages will keep you at it for a few more.

Predictions for 2008, I'll leave 'em untouched all year.

Being a little hopeful on the PS3 and a little pessemistic on the 360

Wii:     32mil                                           DS:      82mil

PS3:    16mil                                           PSP:    42mil

360:    24mil

Orange box is one of the best deals in recent gaming history.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

All 5 games are real gems, try some of the time trials in Portal they really good.
You start seeing exactly how blind you were by the second puzzle :)

"..just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake"

Around the Network

BTW, that catchy little tune in the end is freakin funny -- as are so many of the comments from the computerized voice.

My fav was the one near the end where she was talking about turning back and remembering all the fun times talking like a teenager. And then you were like... And I was like... and it was so funny...

I'm curious if there have been any games like this previously. I was particularly fond of how the portal works in that you can see yourself on the other side depending on how you work the portal and such. Calculating all the angles, directions, and such in-game must have been an interesting challenge for the developers to be sure they didn't leave any areas that the user could trap themselves or throw the game off in some wacky way.

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

the only game I've heard of that is like portal is Narbacular Drop which was what inspired/turned into Portal.

The GLaDOS is the star of Portal for me, really really funny, I have the mp3 of that song.

I tried hard to trap myself but the game always gives you a way out :P

There is a commentary mode in the game - one part explains how they had to rework all the physics within the portals "bubble of influence" so that the game didn't slow down.

"..just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake"

Yeah, OB is one of the best gaming deals of this year, five games for the price of one... And they are all good? How often does that happen?

Weighted Companion Cube ftw.

I have 80 hours in TF2, from when I started playing on Sept. 17 until now...it's such an addicting game...sooo great.

And yes, Portal is great, and HL2: Ep2 was epic.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )