By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - I just beat FFIX and it...was...

Chris Hu said:
g-value said:
Final Fantasy 9 was a very charming jrpg but I don't really see what was so amazing about it. I like my storylines complex while FF9's storyline was very simple so I guess that is the reason why I don't like it as much as other people. Also, "Trance" fails compared to the "Limit Break" of FF7 and FF8, "Overdrive" of FF10 and "Quickenings" of FF12 IMO.

The limit breaks in FF8 weren't as good as the ones in FF7.  The whole drawing magic mechanism I hated a lot and that the enemies leveled up.  I got to the third disc and gave up.

Still a hell of alot better then "Trance" IMO.

Around the Network

definitely the high point of the series.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

Well, I've spend around 100+ hours on this one, and I really didnt like as much as most guys in here. After playing more mature/dark /convoluted FF as VII and VIII, IX was just a sweet (horribly so, IMO at the time) plot...It didnt just fit with me ( I was around 17-19 at the time...If I remeber correctly).

Glad that people liked it so much, but this isnt high on my FF list, maybe in fourth/fifth (X, VIII, VII, VI, XII or IX here...).

I just hope that XIII do its job and fill a position on this top 5!

alright so, I want to play FF 8, is it good compared to FF VII?

How long is it?

Is it free roam like FF VII

mM

Well, going straight to the end, aound 35-45 hours (maybe less for the fanatic...hhehehe) I got around 100 hours....wich makes me what? most FFs I played I did more than 100 hours...well...all since VII that is.....disc 3 is pretty much you do whatever you want if I recall...dont play that one since 2000 (lend it to one of my cousins...its still problably with him, stored in some box in his house...Im so buying it from PSN - along with VII - as soon as I get a PS3...). I did enjoy it quite a lot, but thats just me.

Around the Network

idk how u could get 100 hours out of FF VII.. even with the side stories, I got 45 hours max

mM

I go for all out max at everything....4 golden 999 stat chocobos, a lot if not all master materias...3 Knights of the Round.....a lot of other summons as well....yeah...I know.....and the copy I've got didnt have that glich that let you make itens at your will.....I did have some (lots...) of spare time at that time (classes were so freaking easy...heheheh).

leo-j said:

How long is it?

Just as a heads up, FF8 is one of those that people either love or hate; it has no middle ground. I give FF8 credit for trying several new things; unfortunately for it, none of them worked out (or were poorly implemented). Drawing spells replaced the MP concept, but all it really did was make fights longer, and force you to remember which enemies had the useful spells. Leveling the enemies up with the party has been done before (I want to say it was a Lunar game, but I'm not positive), however, they instead tied it to the main character's level, whom you can't remove from the party. So if you're like me, and like to try to balance people out (in the fear that the game says you HAVE to use someone), then you essentially make everyone useless.

I couldn't be bothered to finish FF8; it was the first FF I played to get that distinction. (For the record, FFX was the second, and I couldn't be bothered with any of the ones after that.) I think that FF8 was Square scraping the barrel, hoping to put some semblence of a game together, but it failed miserably. So while I don't speak favorably of 7, I would choose it in a heartbeat over 8, and advise people to stay away from 8 like the plague. But ultimately, the final call is yours.

-dunno001

-On a quest for the truly perfect game; I don't think it exists...

leo-j said:

How long is it?

Just as a heads up, FF8 is one of those that people either love or hate; it has no middle ground. I give FF8 credit for trying several new things; unfortunately for it, none of them worked out (or were poorly implemented). Drawing spells replaced the MP concept, but all it really did was make fights longer, and force you to remember which enemies had the useful spells. Leveling the enemies up with the party has been done before (I want to say it was a Lunar game, but I'm not positive), however, they instead tied it to the main character's level, whom you can't remove from the party. So if you're like me, and like to try to balance people out (in the fear that the game says you HAVE to use someone), then you essentially make everyone useless.

I couldn't be bothered to finish FF8; it was the first FF I played to get that distinction. (For the record, FFX was the second, and I couldn't be bothered with any of the ones after that.) I think that FF8 was Square scraping the barrel, hoping to put some semblence of a game together, but it failed miserably. So while I don't speak favorably of 7, I would choose it in a heartbeat over 8, and advise people to stay away from 8 like the plague. But ultimately, the final call is yours.

-dunno001

-On a quest for the truly perfect game; I don't think it exists...

Just the reaction that I was expecting. IX is the best FF on Sony.