By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony short-shipped 120 GB models this holiday season

No this is not the only difference the 20gb was a poor deal compared to 60gb so they even have not released it in Europe. In 2006 Sony had MASSIVE problems to hold up the production because there were simply no blue laser diods because Bluray was just out on the market and noone manufactured them they simply were not able to produce more in 2006.

the difference between 20gb and 60gb launch console were following features:

No Wifi and no flash card reader no chrome (ok the black looked good too).

And ofcourse 40gb less capacity.

But the problem is do they sell even a Wifi adaptor for the PS3 ? The PS3 20gb was produced only for Japan and USA. And just at a poor ratio 3:1 for 60gb.

The 20gb was discontinued quickly. and every other PS3 had Wifi I never saw a Wifi adaptor for PS3 or can you use a Wifistick ?

the flashcard thing is also good because you can increase your memory cheao with a 32 gb flash card and the the flash card reader couldnt to be seen from outside I think its way classier then an USB stick which looks out of the console.

And because of the shortages. They send out a good amount of PS3s how else could you explain 1 Mio consoles sold this week. The best week for an HD console of all time.

And some people here in the thread already mentioned that it could be tactics. They use a lot of psyccological tactics most people wouldnt think about this but this is a MuliBillion Dollar company.

Around the Network
Onibaka said:
johnsobas said:
i would believe it, they did the same thing except more extreme in 2006.

I disagree. The 20gb model was a flop. You only haved to pay $100 more for the much superior 60gb. $500 to $600 is only 20%, if you are going to spend money in the last technology avaible in market, buying a PS3 in the launch, the 20gb version in useless.

ok but even if you think that they purposely undershipped the 20 gig model.  They claimed the sales of the 20 gig were worse, but that's because they undershipped it heavily.  The PS3 was completely sold out at the time so to say it didn't sell well is stupid.  It didn't sell as fast as the 60 gig, but it did sell. 

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

They only did the $500 dollar model to try to get people to think the console was only $499, they purposely didn't stock it very much because they were already taking heavy losses on the $599 model, and were taking a lot heavier losses on a $499 one. I don't think it really worked, everyone still thought it was $600. People willing to put out that kind of money wanted the full deal.

Lads. The PS3's are shipped over from China in a big boat. Sony would've shipped above predicted demand. What has happened is the PS3 model has sold above what they expected. They cant just magic an extra million Ps3's from China. There's no conpiracy theories or anything else.

Dexorosorous said:
i think its smart on sony's part, since a person that was planning to buy a PS3 would think, 50 dollars more....why not? i get double the capacity of the 299 one....but they might also think, i'll just get an xbox elite which is at 299 also....its a double edged sword, but it keeps demand high for the 299 model i suppose....

Get people thinking it is the same price as the Elite, then upsell them to the more expensive model.

Around the Network
TICTAC9910 said:
Lads. The PS3's are shipped over from China in a big boat. Sony would've shipped above predicted demand. What has happened is the PS3 model has sold above what they expected. They cant just magic an extra million Ps3's from China. There's no conpiracy theories or anything else.

Actually, it's selling right along with their projection to hit 13 million for the fiscal year, are you saying that they didn't really believe it?

Netyaroze said:
No this is not the only difference the 20gb was a poor deal compared to 60gb so they even have not released it in Europe. In 2006 Sony had MASSIVE problems to hold up the production because there were simply no blue laser diods because Bluray was just out on the market and noone manufactured them they simply were not able to produce more in 2006.

But the problem is do they sell even a Wifi adaptor for the PS3 ? The PS3 20gb was produced only for Japan and USA. And just at a poor ratio 3:1 for 60gb.

The 20gb was discontinued quickly. and every other PS3 had Wifi I never saw a Wifi adaptor for PS3 or can you use a Wifistick ?

the flashcard thing is also good because you can increase your memory cheao with a 32 gb flash card and the the flash card reader couldnt to be seen from outside I think its way classier then an USB stick which looks out of the console.

And because of the shortages. They send out a good amount of PS3s how else could you explain 1 Mio consoles sold this week. The best week for an HD console of all time.

And some people here in the thread already mentioned that it could be tactics. They use a lot of psyccological tactics most people wouldnt think about this but this is a MuliBillion Dollar company.

They didn't even release the same 60gb in Europe that they did in the US/Japan. The launch 60gb European PS3 was already gimped by not including the PS2 EE chip, though it still had the GSU. At least the 20gb US/Japan model included both the EE/GSU.

The 20gb was only discontinued early in the US. In Japan, the 20gb and 60gb models continued on together until they were both discontinued at the same time in early 2008 (to leave the BC-less 40gb as the only model at the time)

@OP: In Japan the 120gb PS3 is readily available, they are not in short supply at all. (note: there is no 250gb model in Japan, only the FF13 Lightning Edition PS3 was 250gb)

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

CommonMan said:
TICTAC9910 said:

Actually, it's selling right along with their projection to hit 13 million for the fiscal year, are you saying that they didn't really believe it?

Sold out for 2 to 4 weeks. Looks like they're waiting for the next big boat from China.

http://www.target.com/PlayStation-3-Entertainment-System-120GB/dp/B002I0J4VQ/ref=sc_qi_detailbutton

Sold out

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=75780

Sold out

http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-3-120-GB/dp/B002I0J4VQ/ref=pd_ts_vg_6?ie=UTF8&s=videogames

So it's exceeded Sonys predictions that much is certain. I think when we get Sony financials it will be looking like it'l comfortably exceed the 13 million.

smbu2000 said:
Netyaroze said:

They didn't even release the same 60gb in Europe that they did in the US/Japan. The launch 60gb European PS3 was already gimped by not including the PS2 EE chip, though it still had the GSU. At least the 20gb US/Japan model included both the EE/GSU.

The 20gb was only discontinued early in the US. In Japan, the 20gb and 60gb models continued on together until they were both discontinued at the same time in early 2008 (to leave the BC-less 40gb as the only model at the time)

@OP: In Japan the 120gb PS3 is readily available, they are not in short supply at all. (note: there is no 250gb model in Japan, only the FF13 Lightning Edition PS3 was 250gb)

Japanese PS3's are manufactured in Japan so unless there's a huge unexpected surge it's very unlikely there'd be shortages there. US PS3's come over in a big boat from China so if Sony underestimate demand i think it's pretty obvious that'd mean shortages that cant be quickly rectified. How about Sony underestimated demand, no need for the conspiracy theories .