By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - What stage of its life is the Xbox 360 in?

I've heard people talking a lot about how consoles sell best when they reach the $199 price mark. The Xbox 360 has reached this mark (in the form of the Arcade) and sales are now down year-on-year. I'm wondering if it is possible that the Xbox 360 is starting to decline in sales now and if it is more than just a short dip. Do you think it is in its later stages, or will it grow again considerably once it the Elite falls in price (for longer than just a short period)?

Around the Network

Well the 360 is a bit different because the $199 model really isn't what it is made out to be. When you have your standard 360 with a hard drive reach $199, that's when it will truly be at its best. It's hard to tell with the 360 because with things like NXE and Project Natal it completely throws off predictions anyone had. Microsoft has managed revamp their console with just software, and next year they will do it with Natal.

I don't think it has reached its peak yet, but who knows.

It could be the calm before the storm (natal success) or the calm, well, the calm (natal has no impact)

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

I think it has around 2-3 years to live.
It need something new games or console remake...Last year it had price cut+games, this year it has promises for 2010 + multiplats at 09.

Many people would like to buy new redesigned Xbox 360 without its main problems.

Take my love, take my land..

If it were a person, I'd say it was in its late 30's. It still listens to rap music and buys cool clothes.

Around the Network

Normally this would be the beginning of the down cycle. 2008 and the $199 price drop was a huge success. But MS will be launching Natal which will boost sales up over the 2008 peak. 2011 will be similar to 2009 and 2012 will launch the new console.

d21lewis said:
If it were a person, I'd say it was in its late 30's. It still listens to rap music and buys cool clothes.

But has it reached the dreaded stage where it makes a pass at people half his/her age?

On topic; the Aracde isn't a real X-box in my opinion, it is unable to do what the 360 is all about properly; online gaming. There is also the lack of the possibility to install your games, store music, movies and other media. The Elite will have a much bigger impact at that price I think, and a 150 or 100 dollar Arcade won't hurt either.

Mummelmann said:
d21lewis said:

But has it reached the dreaded stage where it makes a pass at people half his/her age?

On topic; the Aracde isn't a real X-box in my opinion, it is unable to do what the 360 is all about properly; online gaming. There is also the lack of the possibility to install your games, store music, movies and other media. The Elite will have a much bigger impact at that price I think, and a 150 or 100 dollar Arcade won't hurt either.

you can play online with the Arcade and do most all of those other things to... you're just limited to 512mb

Mummelmann said:
d21lewis said:

that kind of behavior is okay when you're in your early thirties, right?

d21lewis said:
Mummelmann said:
d21lewis said:

that kind of behavior is okay when you're in your early thirties, right?

Okay? I thought it was mandatory? Or is that only here?