By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Should i get a PS3 or X360? (Wii owner)

I would suggest the 360 too just because of the games that are already out for it. The ps3 will definitely have some better stuff to offer in the future, but you never know when games will be delayed or even change/add consoles to their releases.

Smash Bros: 2363-5325-6342 

Around the Network

If you *need* to get a second system now, get the 360. The PS3 is a "wait-and-see" console right now.

My End of 2008 Hardware Predictions (console only):

Wii : 50 million

360: 28 million

PS3: 24 million

These predictions were made on January 3rd and won't be revised

LINK

based on the games you listed, get a 360.

1.RE5, GTA4, Assassin's Creed, Halo 3, MOH, Bioshock all are on X360.
2.GTA 4 has two chapter expansions exclusively on X360.
3.Most multiplatform game on X360 has better graphics than PS3.
4.Ps3 expensive.

@ Shakarak - the 360 is getting more reliable. All those dodgy disk-drives and fucked chips have been fixed with newer, better ones.

So there are no PS3 exclusives i will miss?

Around the Network

here are exclusives

http://www.ps3forums.com/showthread.php?t=57593

PSN: B_U_L_L_D_O_G_G

XBL: BiggBully

Wii: 6629 9857 7201 4139

Off that list get the 360.

Proud member of the Sonic Support Squad

Why not get both? No reason to miss out on the great exclusives each will have. But if you have to pick only one for now, then I'd think seriously about getting a PS3 now and the 360 later.

Reason: the PS3 has no reliability issues, and will have plenty of great games. Also, you may think you don't need BluRay. But if you have a quality HDTV, the PS3 is a topnotch video player as well as a game player, and the $399 model is close to the price of a 360 ($349).

The 360's hardware issues are quite real and well-documented. Hopefully they're fixing the problems, but you're more likely to get a reliable model if you wait a bit longer, until the holiday rush clears out all the old models.

SlorgNet said:
Why not get both? No reason to miss out on the great exclusives each will have. But if you have to pick only one for now, then I'd think seriously about getting a PS3 now and the 360 later.

Reason: the PS3 has no reliability issues, and will have plenty of great games. Also, you may think you don't need BluRay. But if you have a quality HDTV, the PS3 is a topnotch video player as well as a game player, and the $399 model is close to the price of a 360 ($349).

The 360's hardware issues are quite real and well-documented. Hopefully they're fixing the problems, but you're more likely to get a reliable model if you wait a bit longer, until the holiday rush clears out all the old models.

To answer your question: I'm sure he'd like to if he could afford it; but since he basically stated he can't afford both, he wanted to know which one is better for his tastes. And, from the games he mentioned he was looking forward to (predominately 360), I think there's no doubt the 360 is the better choice for him.

And the 360 reliability issues have been addressed, so long as you buy a console made after April of this past year (new heat sink, and new motherboard layout preventing the motherboard from overheating/warping, which were the cause of the chips popping off (which thereby caused the red light error)). In addition, the CPU has been reduced in size from 90nm to 65nm; although my personal opinion is that this new cpu reduction really doesn't do that much to improve reliability because it's the GPU that is the problem, and as a result the new heat sink design has done wonders in this regard. What I mean is, it's more the heatsink improved design leading to better reliability, not the new CPU (in my opinion).

I know from personal experience that the newer 360's are drastically improved in quality. I bought a July-made Elite this past summer and after a LOT of usage, it has never once frozen on me or done anything that would, in my opinion, worry me. Then again, I got lucky with my launch 360 that I gave to my brother as that never broke down or froze (although I'll admit I was either lucky or just treated my console very well in the time I had it...or a combo of both).

But, I have used my new Elite a lot...and by a lot I mean, used every day, and on weekends sometimes 6-8 hours a day...I even left it on (Accidentally) playing a game for an entire weekend while I was out of town. I was pretty pissed at myself for doing that (mainly because it's not exactly good to leave your DVD drive going for a whole weekend straight), but I can assure you that upon return the game was still running fine, and the system was running perfectly well (and the case itself was not overly hot in any way). Stupid on my part, but good to see that my Elite is very solid.

I'll be the first to admit that the 360 had its share of hardware issues (Even if I was lucky and was never affected by these said issues), but I'm confident the systems that have been made since April (and particularly since Sept when they introduced the 65nm CPUs) are very stable and reliable. Just make sure you check the manufactured date on the back of the console to make sure you get a newer console. This shouldn't be too hard to find, as most of the really old stock was cleared in the August/September rushes. If you go to most stores that get regular shipments of consoles, you'll see the majority, if not all, of the systems will have been made in the past few months (which is what you want). Either way, just make sure to check out the manufactured date in the store before buying just to make sure you're good to go.

Just a couple tips for when at the store too: I'm pretty sure if you get a pro with HDMI you'll have a post-April made console, and you'll be good to go. Elites are almost always up-to-date in terms of being recently manufactured. And the Arcade and the Halo 3 consoles will all have the changes.

Oh, and for whatever it's worth, the game selection on the 360 rocks. I won't say the PS3 is a bad console (because it definitely isn't)...it's just as of now you can't go wrong with a 360. And since the games you mentioned being excited about are mostly 360, I'd have to give my recommendation to you for the 360. Perhaps you could pick up the PS3 in a year or two when it's cheaper to catch up on those missed exclusives (Assuming the exclusives stay on the PS3, which I think will happen for most of them...although who knows what can happen in this competitive generation). Either way, Good luck in your decision!

You will be missing alot if you dont get a ps3.

Dont listen to monatana he has a 360 only therefore he is somewhat of a fanboy(sorry its true)

Ratchet and clank is amazing you wont be able to play that

Haze as well

I would get the ps3. Why? Becuase I am the only one on the site that has all 3 and trust me get a ps3.

2008 end of year predictions:

PS3: 22M

360: 25M

wii: 40M