By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Cables, Cables, Cables!

Ok so here is the deal.  This is my setup.  I need to know what cables I need to maximize my viewing experience.  What will make me see the clearest/best picture?

My setup:

52" HD 1080p Plasma LCD TV 

Connected to the TV is:

-Xbox 360

-PS3

-Wii

-Toshiba  A30 HD-DVD player

My question is, what cables do I need?  TV to cable outlet? xbox to tv? wii to tv? ps3 to tv? any other cables? 

Brian ZuckerGeneral PR Manager, VGChartzbzucker@vgchartz.com

Digg VGChartz!

Follow VGChartz on Twitter!

Fan VGChartz on Facebook!

Around the Network

Use HDMI on as many things as possible.

HDMI for everything except the Wii (obviously) would be what you want to use.  (If your 360 doesn't have HDMI, I'd try out both the component and VGA cables from Microsoft to see which you like best.  When I had a 360 I always used VGA)

Head on over to monoprice.com for your cables (including Wii component cables) - it's what I use.

To go from TV to Cable outlet, do I jsut use a normal coax cable?

Digg VGChartz!

loadedstatement said:
To go from TV to Cable outlet, do I jsut use a normal coax cable?
Yes, unless you have one of those HD cable setup things.

Around the Network

Also, is every HDMI cable and component cable the same?

Digg VGChartz!

how many HDMI sockets does the TV have?

loadedstatement said:
Also, is every HDMI cable and component cable the same?

No, far from it, in HDMI it depends on size, if the cables 6' and under don't worry so much as long as the cable is in one piece it should be fine 100%(I use a cheap one for my PS3 at 3' it's as good as the monster cables) for componant there's a big difference in cable quality. 

Just look at the connection plating(usually gold) and get shielded wires only. In componant quality is more of a factor than in HDMI. 

In honesty though between HDMI & Componant, I can't tell much of a difference so unless you're a total videophile no need to have -everything- hooked in through a hdmi. On the tangled cables, I feel your pain I'm having the same problem +7.1 sound system. 

epsilon72 said:
HDMI for everything except the Wii (obviously) would be what you want to use. (If your 360 doesn't have HDMI, I'd try out both the component and VGA cables from Microsoft to see which you like best. When I had a 360 I always used VGA)

Head on over to monoprice.com for your cables (including Wii component cables) - it's what I use.

What he said.

And ditto also on the cable quality, it matters more for component than HDMI, but still doesn't matter much unless the cables are long. 

I just ordered 2 of these. Haven't gotten them yet.

http://amazon.com/gp/product/B0002L5R78/ref=s9_asin_title_1/102-4008024-2553719?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1X1VA6BHP0526YFYASK5&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=278240301&pf_rd_i=507846