By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What genre dominates your current generation games?

nordlead said:
Vetteman94 said:
What are your classification differences between Action Adventure and Adventure?

What are your classification differences between Shooter and FPS?

What are your classification differences between Action RPG and RPG?

Shouldnt you just use the industry standard classifications?

industry standard? I didn't know one existed. Seems like every website has a slightly different set of genres in their database. Heck, IGN has every genre I listed except FPS.

Shooter = Contra, Geometry Wars...
FPS = Killzone, Call of Duty, Halo...

Action RPG = Tales of Symphonia, Secret of Mana...
RPG = Final Fantasy XIII, Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
(I could have included WRPG, sort of like Oblivion, but I don't happen to own any games like that.)

Action/Adventure = Zelda, Uncharted...
Adventure = Trace Memory, Agatha Christie...

Where would games like Gears of War or Terminator Salvation end up?   

You are right there probably isnt an industry standard.   But i was thinking more like a smaller condensed list of what you have but adding a couple extra.   Like splitting up RPGs into JRPGs and WRPGs,  Combining Action Adventure, Action and Adventure games all into one category.  Making a separate category for TPS.    But its your list so that cool.   Your examples really didnt help me much since I dont own most of those games LOL

Around the Network

i think i have a pretty good variety of games

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

lol I have 4 FPS games, a Sandbox (GTAIV) and an action/adventure (UC2)

Wii:
2 Platformers
2 Action
2 Adventure
1 Racing
1 FPS
1 Fighter/Brawler
1 Party

(I did not add Wiiware/VC games.)

Definitely RPG for me. Just got 3 more RPG's in the mail today.

Around the Network

RPG by a long shot. FPS comes second. Platformer/Adventure third.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Vetteman94 said:
nordlead said:

industry standard? I didn't know one existed. Seems like every website has a slightly different set of genres in their database. Heck, IGN has every genre I listed except FPS.

Shooter = Contra, Geometry Wars...
FPS = Killzone, Call of Duty, Halo...

Action RPG = Tales of Symphonia, Secret of Mana...
RPG = Final Fantasy XIII, Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
(I could have included WRPG, sort of like Oblivion, but I don't happen to own any games like that.)

Action/Adventure = Zelda, Uncharted...
Adventure = Trace Memory, Agatha Christie...

Where would games like Gears of War or Terminator Salvation end up?   

You are right there probably isnt an industry standard.   But i was thinking more like a smaller condensed list of what you have but adding a couple extra.   Like splitting up RPGs into JRPGs and WRPGs,  Combining Action Adventure, Action and Adventure games all into one category.  Making a separate category for TPS.    But its your list so that cool.   Your examples really didnt help me much since I dont own most of those games LOL

well, my list wasn't intended to be the complete list of genres, or the best separation of genres. It was just for simple comparison and all the genres I personally own, so there would be a 0 for TPS.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

That's a tough question. If there were more RPGs like Dragon's Age and Demon's Souls... it would most likely be all RPGs!!!

During the year I get bored and buy whatever's new and interesting.

That being said:

PS3:
2 RPGs
1 SRPG
1 Action/Horror
1 Action/Adventure
1 FPS
1 Action/Fighting
1 Music

PSP
1 SRPG
2 Tower Defence
1 Racing
2 Action/Adventure
2 Puzzle

PS3

FPS - 20
Action/Adventure - 15
TPS - 8
Racing - 6
Action RPG - 5
Platformer - 4
Music -4
Sports - 3
Shooter - 2
Party - 2
RPG - 1
Puzzle - 1

Total - 71

A few titles I am sure could be moved to other categories, but I feel this is a good placement for them.

Xbox 360

FPS - 6
TPS - 2
Action RPG - 2
Action/Adventure - 1
Shooter - 1

Total - 12

FPS, RPG

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB