By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Would you be interested in an Unofficial VGChartz Forum Member Podcast?

Would you be interested in an Unofficial VGChartz Forum Member Podcast?

Yes. Some of our members ... 74 47.44%

No. Who has the time for these crazy people? 8 5.13%

Oh man can I be ON the podcast?! 23 14.74%

It seems hard to pull off but tell me more. 15 9.62%

I'll make my own 'cast ... 12 7.69%

You're stupid, Khuutra, ... 24 15.38%

Total:156

This should be very interesting. Having a lot of good members discuss something, without having someone else turning it into a flame-war, seems like a brilliant idea.

Around the Network

I don't generally listen to podcasts for various reasons. I do love the sound of my own voice though, and hate most everything should you want a controversy angle.

Still, this has been tried before. Once unofficially, and once officially. Neither really got very far. Apparently our members are lazy bastards.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

I wouldn't really listen to it. There are some pretty amazing podcasts out there, and I generally avoid them. I don't think a VGChartz podcast would change my ways.

That isn't to say it isn't a good idea, or a noble undertaking, because it is. It's just that I have no real interest in the result myself and I am not really sure there would be an audience for such a thing (though I guess that's a secondary thing).

Best of luck to you though.

This is invisible text!

Khuutra said:
nordlead said:
Khuutra said:
SHMUPGurus said:

Why do we have to have debates anyways? How about we just discuss what we like and don't like about games (and other topics of the sort), without trying to include "The Xbox Clan" or "The Nintendo Clan?" I think gaming is a great passion. There are plenty of subjects to talk about and you don't need to side for any company. There's not just the console war going on... and like I always say, there's only a war if you want to see a war.

This is kind of close to my feelinig on the matter. Like I said, though: work in progress.

A debate type format like around the horn doesn't mean you need 1 guy from each side arguing. Heck, on their show sometimes they all agree on the same thing, but they each bring a different point. It just means that you have a host asking questions, and people answering. It drives the conversation forward much like an interview 1-on-1, only with 1 host and multiple responders. The host is responsible for planning the topics ahead of time, giving some insite to the situation, and asking others what they think of it. It isn't like I'm suggesting the generic question of "what did you play this week" never be asked, or other open ended general discussion questions.

Ooo... suppose we had revolving topics, maybe depending on the guest speakers we have? One week we could all talk about some big new game or a particular piece of news, the next week we could all make public our predictions for console sales through the next year and have a debate centered around that... that sort of thing.

Yeah, some form of structure would make sense. So, perhaps an early news section, a feature (say on peripherals), a sales section - look at a single or genre of games for example, as well as occasional discussion on broader sales topics and perhaps a parody section, where we pretend to be IGN or other moany-ass wingers. Hehe.

There's so much history in gaming culture that we could do a feature on old school stuff.

Finally, you need some people with passion and charisma to do it.

Yes.

www.spacemag.org - contribute your stuff... satire, comics, ideas, debate, stupidy stupid etc.

Depends who it was... i'd listen to the first cast or so.

You're a good start anyway.

I like Podcasts... a lot actaully, but the only decent ones i can find are sports based.

It's best to limit a podcast to 30-45 minutes a podcast though.   It'd be best to keep the numbers small, have a central host and have them bring in "experts" for certain areas.

Around the Network

Quite honestly to, i'd be proactive in finding guests and hosts rather then asking if there are any volunteers in such an endeavor.

Asking for volunteers for such a thing often doesn't get the best results. It's like asking for volunteers for Mods.

It's going to attract some people... some suited... most not. While it should be fairly obvious what people have interesting things to say on the forums, often i've found some of the most competent people are the least likely to volunteer for tasks but will "serve when called opon."

To get a Podcast off the ground you gotta make sure your first few are really good. So you need to make sure you don't hit any "bumps" early or you're in trouble.

You'd make a great host though.

Oh, a couple more bits of advice.

4 or 5 people sound like a lot.

Usually 3 people is the golden mark for broadcasting. It's enough people to make sure there isn't dead air, but there is a lot of time for everybody. 4 can work too, but can be troublesome since it may lead to some talk over... 5... i'd be worried there is too much talk over.

Which is another issue. The people in the podcast need to know the "Pecking order" so to speak. This is to prevent people from talking over each other, and a "side" personality trying to take over a show and in a lot of ways ruin it, take it off course etc. often without that person knowing it.

Which is why I talk about approaching people rather then asking for volunteers. People approached are more likely to respect and be able to understand the pecking order of broadcasting so the show flows nicely.

It should be known who should get the most talking time, who is the "co host" for said podcast etc. Otherwise it comes off disorganized.

Having a hierarchy so to speak to start off with will go a long way in starting the show off on the right foot.

Remember if you think the hierarchy should change because someone under or over performs it can always be switched up.

Oh, and also make sure to email the people ahead of time so they can do research.  The last thing you need is a bunch of people coming in "cold" it actually takes a decent amount of research to be able to talk intellegently about some of this stuff.

%100 behind this idea I would love to see it happen.

I mostly agree of what both Kylie and Kaz said. As long as it has sensible people and not just have the "Sony guy" and "Nintendo guy" for the sake of pleasing the fan base I'll probably like it and listen to it.

Best of luck to you.

One more thing that comes to mind...

Why use real music? Why not have someone compose a more "nostalgic" type of music using a 8 or 16 bit type program. Would give it more of a "Video game" feel.

Rubang probably knows a good program or someone that could compose it.

Kasz216 said:
One more thing that comes to mind...

Why use real music? Why not have someone compose a more "nostalgic" type of music using a 8 or 16 bit type program. Would give it more of a "Video game" feel.

Rubang probably knows a good program or someone that could compose it.

I'd rather the opposite: video game music played on real instruments. It could change each podcast or each 'series' (if you get that far). Anyone can paste an existing track in, but on real instruments shows the community is producing stuff, not recycling it like other podcasts.

A composition by someone on VGC would be OK, bu I think there would have to be a competition with a few entrants and voting so we don't end up with something a lot of people dislike.