By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Have you been overshot by game developers yet?

Have you been overshot by game developers yet?

Yes 1 11.11%

No 4 44.44%

Kinda 4 44.44%

Total:9

Just honestly curious.  Malstrom loves to talk about how consumers are being overshot and i'm just curious as to who around here feels that way.  I know that since this is an internet poll i'm more likely to get people who aren't but i'm still curious.  I'm not.  I like a lot of where gaming is going. I think it's still fun and having played games all my life I could care less how accessible it is as long as it's interesting and fun to me. 

If you do feel that way please enlighten me as to what aspects of gaming you find tiresome and cumbersome.  What is your definition of fun in terms of video games or what would you like to see more of in games.

Please don't turn this into a flame bait thread. I'm generally curious and would love to hear other peoples honest opinions without them being berated by others.  As a matter of fact if you could just state your opinion and leave others be that would be great.  

P.S. always remember the best way to beat a troll is to ignore them entirely.  

Around the Network

... Honestly, I've never heard the word overshot. Ever. What does it mean?

Majin-Tenshinhan said:
... Honestly, I've never heard the word overshot. Ever. What does it mean?

PS4 Preordered - 06/11/2013 @09:30am

XBox One Preordered - 06/19/2013 @07:57pm

"I don't trust #XboxOne & #Kinect 2.0, it's always connected" as you tweet from your smartphone - irony 0_o

In this context:
Some one who is overshot just wants simple easy fun. (WIi Sports, Wii Play, NSMBW, MKW)

Some one who is not wants more eye candy and more complexity as well as immersion.

Edited: NVM listen to WereKitten much better and in depth explanation in 3,2,1...

@M-T:

I think in general "disruption" talk, it refers to the product offer overshooting the needs of the user in features and complexity. As in advancing faster than the user needs, so much that the user can get her/his needs satisfied by a cheaper/simpler family of products that offer a different value set.

In the specifics, Malstrom states that accessibility versus complexity is that "new" gaming value, and that games have been overshooting the needs of the consumers when it comes to narrative and technical proficiency.

Back to OT: my personal stance is that no, I've not been overshot as I never find any game too complex or intimidating or rooted in narrative or cinematics. On the other hand, time is becoming a scarce resource in my life so that I have to carfeully ponder when I'm offered 50+ hours long games, but there is hardly a trend in the direction of even longer games.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

Around the Network

Oh. Well, then, yeah, I think I've been a bit overshot at times, but that's mostly by games I decide not to buy anyway (because of said overshooting).

Last gen I lost interest in games, but not because of complexity, but because the repetition bored me. The Wii and DS renewed my interest in games and I even enjoy some of the games I grew tired of again. But even last gen I wasn't into epic storylines and cutscenes. So I voted kinda.