By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Japan makes the best games.....wtf?!? (poll discussion)

The majority of Microsoft and Sony's first party devs are what? Thats right WESTERN! Thats why this gen the west is so dominant. Third party western is also so dominant as well. Sega has quite a few western devs and that leaves Nintendo, Namco, SE, Kojima productions and Capcom as the top devs in Japan.

Around the Network

well, Japan has released 28/50 of the top selling world wide games this year, and that number is going to increase with FFXIII knocking a Microsoft game off the list. You can't really argue with Japan producing more games that people actually want to play than any other country.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Thank God there are still japanese games on the market, to offer something different...

Maybe that little touch of "magic" missing in so many games, and so many threads...

I respect the people who prefer ultra-realistic and "mature" brown-grey games, usually involving a lot of shooting, but it's not my cup of tea, and that's the reason why DS and Wii satisfy my needs...

As far as i'm concerned, PS3 and X360 may have most of the western games, i will not miss much... i leave that to people who own both, and still have to complain about anything they can instead of playing their beloved consoles and their so incredible western games...

"A beautiful drawing in 480i will stay beautiful forever...

and an ugly drawing in 1080p will stay ugly forever..."

leatherhat said:
Kasz216 said:
The wii is the most popular system this generation... driven by... software from Nintendo mostly.

So... no, i'd say Japan makes the best.

Wii sales are driven by some of the lowest quality software I've ever seen, not exactly a great argument for quality.

That's what we'd call a personal opinion.

It isn't backed up by sales.  Which is basically the only way of judging a medium that isn't based on performance (like cars) or artistic merit. (Like books or movies.)

Now if you want to talk from an artistic medium...

Wii games still are closer then most 360 or PS3 games... which often try and replicate movies.

Great movies don't try to be books, great books don't try to be poems... etc.

To be truly aritistically great... one must accept and use the merits of ones artform rather then run from them and treat them like a nuisance like games like MGS4 do.

Kasz216 said:
leatherhat said:
Kasz216 said:
The wii is the most popular system this generation... driven by... software from Nintendo mostly.

Wii sales are driven by some of the lowest quality software I've ever seen, not exactly a great argument for quality.

It isn't backed up by sales.  Which is basically the only way of judging a medium that isn't based on performance (like cars) or artistic merit. (Like books or movies.)

1. "lowest quality software Ive ever seen" implied that it was my opinion even I didn't come out and say it

2. Games have no artistic merit? I gotta leave this thread somebody just opened pandoras box.

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

Around the Network

When the title says "Best" you are supposed to chose the best right? When you personally do not consider something the "best" that does not automatically make it "trash". I love games, some more than others. Since those "some" end up being Japanese, Id have to say I like those best.

One thing has to be the best. Would it make sense to have two "bests"? Not at all. That does not mean that #2 is terrible. People need to realize that.

leatherhat said:
Kasz216 said:
leatherhat said:
Kasz216 said:

1. "lowest quality software Ive ever seen" implied that it was my opinion even I didn't come out and say it

2. Games have no artistic merit? I gotta leave this thread somebody just opened pandoras box.

Some games do... however the Wii actually wins in that regard.

For a piece of work to have artistic merit it needs to embrace the strengths of it's medium.  Few games do this.

Most run from it... like say MGS4 which tries to be "like a movie."

You won't see a movie praised for "Being just like a book by having large walls of text."

Games like Shadow of the Collosus, Super Mario Brothers, The Mario Kart games... these games actually have way  more artistic merit then the games most people mistake for artistic because they have a lot of cutscenes.

Oh, I didn't see the poll, thank you for telling me that there is one ^^

I took Japan, my favorite franchises are from Japan (Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Pikmin, Smash Bros., Resident Evil, etc...).

Kasz216 said:
leatherhat said:
Kasz216 said:
leatherhat said:
Kasz216 said:

Some games do... however the Wii actually wins in that regard.

For a piece of work to have artistic merit it needs to embrace the strengths of it's medium.  Few games do this.

Most run from it... like say MGS4 which tries to be "like a movie."

You won't see a movie praised for "Being just like a book by having large walls of text."

Games like Shadow of the Collosus, Super Mario Brothers, The Mario Kart games... these games actually have way  more artistic merit then the games most people mistake for artistic because they have a lot of cutscenes.

Who said anything about Metal Gear? I was talking about Demons Souls. And please don't tell me you don't think it embraces the medium.

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

nordlead said:
well, Japan has released 28/50 of the top selling world wide games this year, and that number is going to increase with FFXIII knocking a Microsoft game off the list. You can't really argue with Japan producing more games that people actually want to play than any other country.

I hope Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Wii Sports Resort and Wii Music are on that list. Nintendo has produced more games that people actually want to play (IE: Casuals). Casuals are always the majority.