By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Blu-Ray beats HD DVD in software sales 55:45 week ending 10/28

From Home Media Magazine:

Week 10/28: BD 55, HD 45 YTD: BD 64, HD 36 SI: BD 60, HD 40
Week 10/21: BD 51, HD 49 YTD: BD 65, HD 35 SI: BD 61, HD 39
Week 10/14: BD 71, HD 29 YTD: BD 66, HD 34 SI: BD 61, HD 39
Week 10/07: BD 68, HD 32 YTD: BD 66, HD 34 SI: BD 61, HD 39
Week 09/30: BD 54, HD 46 YTD: BD 66, HD 34 SI: BD 61, HD 39

I fully expected HD DVD to win this week. I figured Blu-Ray would have a lull in sales after the buy one get one free deal from the week before, so the continued strong performance of Transformers would give HD DVD the lead. That obviously didn't happen.

I expect Blu-Ray to do quite well in the week ending 11/3, with the release of Spiderman 3 and the Spiderman 1-3 box set going against Face/Off on the HD DVD front. The following week will pit Cars and Ratatouille on Blu-Ray against virtually nothing on HD DVD, so I expect another strong win for BD that week as well.

Around the Network

christmas will decide who wins

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.

looking good I suppose.

Wow, not bad....I figured HD-DVD would dominate with Transformers for a few weeks. Seems like blu-ray is holding its own.

On a side note: An HD-DVD promotor expert has said that 13% of ps3 owners are using its blu-ray features...with this figure, we can deduce the # of new blu-ray users that will be added over the holiday. (And that 13% will probably increase (to at least 15-16%) because the awareness of HD formats and the # of HD TV's will increase over the holiday).

Well, I now only have access to a PS3 & 360...Plan on buying a wii soon (lol, if I can ever find one available!) but will probably wait until some of the major RPG's come out like Dragon Quest & Tales, etc.

Anyhow, I'm so far behind in games to play that I'm not in a huge hurry (lol, haven't even gotten a chance to finish God of War II yet!) 

@Sorrow: That's one thing that I feel the HD DVD camp keeps forgetting. Not many ps3 owners buy Blu-Ray because not many ps3 owners have HDTVs. As HDTV adoption rises, so will the percentage of ps3 owners that buy BRD.

Toshiba's going to have to sell a lot of players this holiday to counter the influx of new ps3s, the rising number of ps3s being used as Blu-Ray players, and the increase of sales of Blu-Ray standalone players with the price drops coming soon. They're going to drop to $400, possibly lower. It may have nothing on $198, but they will sell better than they were before.

If HD DVD doesn't catch up to Blu-Ray in software sales, I'm not sure what chances they'll have of getting Warner to go exclusive.

Also, I'm not sure Warner will even want to go exclusive HD DVD, even if they do level the playing field. With the current studio set-up, an HD exclusive Warner will only prolong this war, causing both formats to fail and the entire HDM market to stay niche forever.

If Warner went HD-exclusive, it would be 4 studios vs 3.  Disney, Fox, Sony, and Lionsgate vs Universal, Paramount, and Warner.  Prices on Blu-Ray players would drop, and it would be an inevitable stalemate. However, if Warner went Blu-exclusive, the war would be over.  It would be 5 studios vs 2.  Disney, Fox, Sony, Lionsgate, and Warner vs just Universal and Paramount.  

Around the Network

does anyone else not care in the slightest about hd dvd vs. blu ray?? i mean, dvd's are still probalby like 90% of the market at least. i don't see why these companies are trying to force a new medium to consumers so early. in like 5-7 years this might actually start to matter as those new discs start actually appealing to the masses.

end of '08 predictions: wii - 43 million,  360 - 25 million, ps3 - 20 million

Games I've beat recently: Super Mario Galaxy, Knights of the Old Republic, Shadow of the Collossus

Proud owner of wii, gamecube, xbox, ps2, dreamcast, n64, snes, genesis, 3DO, nes, atari, intellivision, unisonic tournament 2000, and gameboy

I honeslty don't give a flying *@%$ who wins either, just as long it has good movies, good definition, and is cheap.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

ilovetogame said:
does anyone else not care in the slightest about hd dvd vs. blu ray?? i mean, dvd's are still probalby like 90% of the market at least. i don't see why these companies are trying to force a new medium to consumers so early. in like 5-7 years this might actually start to matter as those new discs start actually appealing to the masses.

They're not forcing the medium on anybody. Have they stopped selling DVDs? No.  99% of the thousands of movies on DVD have yet to be released on either HD DVD and Blu-Ray.

Yes, this won't begin to really matter for a few years, but it has to start somewhere. It's started now with the early adopters

Isn't the Spiderman Trilogy on Blu-ray out in the US yet? I got mine like 3 weeks ago in Australia for $60au :)

Unleash The Beast!  

End of 2011 Sales: Wii = 90mil, 360 = 61mil, PS3= 60mil

Never realised the numbers were so close!

This isn't an election guys - its not like whoever ends up over 51% "wins" by default. What is important, is that HD-DVD is taking *almost* the same market share that BluRay is - so there is ZERO chance it will be dropped. The numbers would have to be something like 80:20 for the format to be irrelevant.

What is also more interesting - is that HD-DVD is clawing back "year" market share. From two weeks ago, BluRay lead has dropped from 32% to 28%. If this continues, both formats will be within 10% of each other (total sales) by the end of the year.

Are all these "pack-in" titles included as sales? Will Spiderman3 pack-in sales be included?

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099