By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony pissed off at MediaWorld underpricing PS3

Been today at Mediaworld, no more plain PS3, only bundles left, the largest was the singstar one.
XB360, only Arcade bundles at 159€.
Wii, didn't see the current price, they were refilling the shelves.
As I imagined, a lot of Balance Board on the shelves, they were shown even before the consoles, first console related HW item a buyer will see entering the store.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network
starterman1989 said:
numonex said:
Lower price = more system sales. Who cares what price Sony wants the PS3 to be sold for? The retailers can sell the systems at whatever price they see fit.
Under pricing the PS3 by what 10 measly dollars? Sheeh. Selling it for US $290 instead of US $300. Sony must be a Xmas grinch.

You don't even look at the article, do you?

I did, and promptly remembered that I can't read Italian. English, German and Spanish yes, but Italian sadly no.

Lol , i wonder how the PS3 Would Sell at $200 Worldwide

Atto Suggests...:

Book - Malazan Book of the Fallen series 

Game - Metro Last Light

TV - Deadwood

Music - Forest Swords 

RVDondaPC said:
I'm not sure what you mean by "base", like their headquarters?
That's strange you would think they'd want their customers to have their phone numbers of local stores. I just go on google maps type in a store name and it will give me the location, hours and phone number of all those stores in the given region that I am looking at. Or I could just use the company website but you don't get an interactive map layout like on google maps.

The article in the link quotes Sony which writes about "MediaMarket". I'm sure this is the large chain that operates under "MediaMarkt" (also Saturn) in other countries. As I have written in another thread, every MediaMarkt pretty much operates on its own rules, every MediaMarkt can set prices whichever way suits best (under corporate quidelines). So this is one MediaMarkt head honcho that thought (for whatever reason) it a good idea to make this deal in his shop (happened in November here too, one palette of PS3s only though). The next MediaMarkt, even if it were 100 ft away from this one, would not have this deal.

coolbeans said:
Okay Sony, you guys already sold them to that retailer. Whether he sells them for less/or not is none of your concern.

Duh.. I think there is a movie called "The Walmartization of America" or something similar that shows the effect of what happens to a town when a 3000lb Gorilla takes over and ruins all the small shops by undercutting prices until they are bancrupt. In Europe, we (used to?) have product price bindings  which (were?) are intended to protect the small guy from being driven out of business by ruinous prices from said gorilla. So Sony (or any manufacturer still holding to those rules) will try to prevent any such large scale sales.

Around the Network

Hey hey...thats not fair.

Only Sony is allowed to sell PS3s at a loss... :D

coolbeans said:
drkohler said:
coolbeans said:
Okay Sony, you guys already sold them to that retailer. Whether he sells them for less/or not is none of your concern.

Duh.. I think there is a movie called "The Walmartization of America" or something similar that shows the effect of what happens to a town when a 3000lb Gorilla takes over and ruins all the small shops by undercutting prices until they are bancrupt. In Europe, we (used to?) have product price bindings  which (were?) are intended to protect the small guy from being driven out of business by ruinous prices from said gorilla. So Sony (or any manufacturer still holding to those rules) will try to prevent any such large scale sales.

That is such an bad comparison.........I truly don't know where to begin.  MediaWorld=/= Wal Mart,  Selling 5000 PS3's at a lower price will not force small businesses to go bankrupt,  and Sony shouldn't need to get involved with this because if Europe has product price bindings they'll find a way to regulate MediaWorld's PS3 price for the future anyway.

Pretty sure they are concerned about this spreading. It all starts somewhere, however small.

correct me if im wrong but isnt that like $414.00 US dollars????

I BET NATHAN DRAKE CAN KICK SAM FISHERS ASS!

drkohler said:
RVDondaPC said:
I'm not sure what you mean by "base", like their headquarters?
That's strange you would think they'd want their customers to have their phone numbers of local stores. I just go on google maps type in a store name and it will give me the location, hours and phone number of all those stores in the given region that I am looking at. Or I could just use the company website but you don't get an interactive map layout like on google maps.

The article in the link quotes Sony which writes about "MediaMarket". I'm sure this is the large chain that operates under "MediaMarkt" (also Saturn) in other countries. As I have written in another thread, every MediaMarkt pretty much operates on its own rules, every MediaMarkt can set prices whichever way suits best (under corporate quidelines). So this is one MediaMarkt head honcho that thought (for whatever reason) it a good idea to make this deal in his shop (happened in November here too, one palette of PS3s only though). The next MediaMarkt, even if it were 100 ft away from this one, would not have this deal.

Yes, MediaMarket is strictly tied to Media Markt, most probably it's its Italian branch renamed because "Markt" is not an easy name for Italians.

MediaMarket controls both MediaWorld and Saturn, these are just store chains names, the company name is MediaMarket and you find only it on phone directories, with no distinction between the two chains, you must know the street name to get the right number if both chains are present in your town. They must be very confident on every other mean to be known by people and they must hate phones, as they don't even print their numbers on their leaflets.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

coolbeans said:
drkohler said:

That is such an bad comparison.........I truly don't know where to begin.  MediaWorld=/= Wal Mart,  Selling 5000 PS3's at a lower price will not force small businesses to go bankrupt,  and Sony shouldn't need to get involved with this because if Europe has product price bindings they'll find a way to regulate MediaWorld's PS3 price for the future anyway.

This is EXACTLY the correct comparison. The MediaMarket group, in many countries, controls a large percentage (even a majority in some)  of all electronic thingies sold. For all practical purposes, they are WalMart of Europe (excl. GB where they don't exist).