By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 sales on PC Disappointing sold only 170K

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 sales on PC disappointing

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 is an absolute smash hit on the consoles. Currently, both the Xbox 360 and PS3 version sales are in the millions in the US alone. However, it seems like the PC platform did not perform as well as its console brethrens.

According to Kotaku, Gamasutra managed to squeeze out the PC sales figures for COD: MW2 from NPD and it looks bleak. The game managed to sell approximately 170k on the PC at retail. This figure does not account for Steam purchase. Considering the active players via Steam, one can estimate that about 100k purchases have been made online at the minimum.

Regardless, the once mighty PC sales for the popular Call of Duty franchise have dramatically dwindled. I wonder how much impact the boycott had on the sales of PC version. It will be interesting to see if PC sales will eventually pick up later on.

Around the Network

That's what you get for removing features.

well PC gamers said they wanted dedicated servers. Not to mention most would of pirated it of the net.

I'd say I'm proud about my fellow PC gamers but I'm afraid a lot of them might have bought it from steam since it was locking into steam account anyway.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

Around the Network

I think it's clear now that IW and Activision won't be bothered about releasing any further COD games on the PC, not when the console sales are so high,

They lost money making the PC version, they haven't made any profit on the pc version, no way they will want to bring anymore pc cod games out, no need!

Zlejedi said:
I'd say I'm proud about my fellow PC gamers but I'm afraid a lot of them might have bought it from steam since it was locking into steam account anyway.

I don't think so.

I don't remember the details, but shio was very happy about the game's rapidly decreasing steam ranking after its release. 

He will come and tell it soon anyways. 

As others have said a large chunk of PC sales will have gone via the Steam route, unfortunately NPD do not know how many sales Steam took and Valve aint talking.

W.L.B.B. Member, Portsmouth Branch.

(Welsh(Folk) Living Beyond Borders)

Winner of the 2010 VGC Holiday sales prediction thread with an Average 1.6% accuracy rating. I am indeed awesome.

Kinect as seen by PS3 owners ...if you can pick at it   ...post it ... Did I mention the 360 was black and Shinny? Keeping Sigs obscure since 2007, Passed by the Sig police 5July10.
FKNetwork said:
I think it's clear now that IW and Activision won't be bothered about releasing any further COD games on the PC, not when the console sales are so high,

They lost money making the PC version, they haven't made any profit on the pc version, no way they will want to bring anymore pc cod games out, no need!

This could very well be the case.  We saw it with Call of Duty 3 and now it could mean the rest of the future of the series.  I just keep wondering, where things went wrong since the first COD and CODUO...

Alterego-X said:
Zlejedi said:

I don't think so.

I don't remember the details, but shio was very happy about the game's rapidly decreasing steam ranking after its release. 

He will come and tell it soon anyways. 

Yes and no. MW2 was 1st in it's launch week but it lost 1st place to Left 4 Dead 2 right after, for a couple of weeks. But now it has returned to the top spot on Steam.

What we can easily guess though is that it's sales on Steam are nowhere near as solid as Call of Duty 4's, when compared to the other steam games. I don't remember COD4 ever losing the top spot as soon as MW2 did (although it took L4D2 to do it). Last weekend, MW2 was completely outsold by Counter-Strike: Source's 75% Off deal (only $5), and MW2 gave away the top spot for 4 days. It means Counter-Strike: Source outsold MW2 by over 12-to-1 every day for 4 days.

If MW2 is doing better than COD4 did initially on Steam, it's because Steam is far bigger than when it was 2 years ago and currently allows for more people to buy it.

Zlejedi said:

It's actually the other way around. Since the retail version has all the benefits of the steam version, why even buy it through steam when you can just get it on retail at the same price? You even get the box and DVD.