By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Do you think the Wii can outsell the PS2 LT(Poll)?

Do you think the Wii can outsell the PS2 LT(Poll)?

Yes 61 46.21%

No 71 53.79%

Total:132

Now that the wii is about to outsell the NES at ~62M, next up is PS1 and then PS2. I'm pretty sure that it will outsell the PS1, but do you think it can outsell the PS2 to become the best selling console of all time? 

The PS2 according to VGChartz is now over 133 million and still selling very good (for a system that's nearly 10 years old).

But, the wii is currently tracking above the ps2 by quite a large margin.

Honestly, I don't think the wii can do it, unless we see a major shift in 3rd party software towards the wii, and right now that's just not happening (in a significant way). 2010 is looking good for the wii, but can it increase its momentum and continue for years to come?

I think LT the wii will sell ~120 million LT.

So, my question to you is: Knowing what we know now, do you think that the wii will outsell the PS2 LT?

Around the Network

As long as Nintendo continues to deliver great games (even when 3rd parties won't), and they create new interest in the Wii through colors and re-designs, the Wii will continue to be on track to outsell the PS2. And the next couple years look great for the Wii games-wise, so I'm not too worried. Zelda Wii could do a lot to combat negativity towards the Wii.

next year seems to be the strongest software year for the wii, so im sure that it will pass the ps1 in sales. nintendo just needs to release compelling software that's unique and assessable. and it needs to sell well after the next gen comes out, like the ps2 has done.

Depends will the wii be on the market long enough ?

and what will a 199 PS3 do to the market.

Fanboys can dream, can't they?

Currently playing on PS3: God of War III

Currently playing on Xbox360: Final Fantasy XIII

Currently playing on NDS: Chrono Trigger

Around the Network
Hus said:

and what will a 199 PS3 do to the market.

Ruin Sony financially?

Currently playing on PS3: God of War III

Currently playing on Xbox360: Final Fantasy XIII

Currently playing on NDS: Chrono Trigger

No. Depends on next years sales, if it somehow goes UP YOY or stays about the same, then yea.

Odd. Future. Wolf. Gang. Kill. Em. All. OFWGKTA Don't give a fuck!

Fuck Steve Harvey. FREE EARL!

Final Fantasy Versus XIII will be the GREATEST game EVER made!!!

I'd take a bullet for Square-Enix! 

As long as Nintendo doesn't release something sutpid like a Wii HD and don't release a new console until 2013, then yes, without a doubt

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Also Iwata did say that he expects Wii to pass the PS2

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

nothing will beat the ps2 :)