By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - IGN N-Podcast 60 and Summary - How Wii doesn't even compare to Current Gen.

Khuutra said:

My statements have little to nothing to do with IGN's perspective on this: IGN's responsibilities as journalists are very different from mine when it comes to looking at these situations, I am sure you will agree.

I agree they don't earn a free pass from criticism. It's why I've mentionend - several times - that there are aspects in which I'm disappointed in Nintendo's performance this generation. If I were talking about IGN, I wouldn't hav responded to you about the narrowness of your statements, I would have talked about their lack of professionalism and about how calling out Nintendo for not making Link talk or for Zelda games having similar plotlines is almost mind-numbingly stupid. We can get into that discussion if you want, but I don't feel right dissecting the statements of somebody to whom I will never speak.

@KylieDog:

"New Super Mario Bros Wii is taxing the Wii as-is."

"That's crap. Prove it."

"Miyamoto said so himself."

"That's crap, he's lying and lazy. We know this for fact."

Okay I think it is your time to provide proof

It's an appeal to common sense. The conduit can run on wii with online multiplayer for...what was it 12 people? Or was it 8? Either way, NSMBW does not push the wii as hard as the Conduit. I don't have specs, I have common sense.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

Around the Network
The_vagabond7 said:

It's an appeal to common sense. The conduit can run on wii with online multiplayer for...what was it 12 people? Or was it 8? Either way, NSMBW does not push the wii as hard as the Conduit. I don't have specs, I have common sense.

Common sense doesn't mean a lot in this case - unless, like Kylie, you want to call Miyamoto a liar. If that's the case, then the burden of proof is on you, and "common sense" does not qualify.

Khuutra said:
The_vagabond7 said:
Khuutra said:
Is this discussion suddenly about arguing the merits of the Wii? Are we supposed to be arguing with the statements by IGN here?

I have no idea. I'm just arguing that they are perfectly justfied in critisizing the wii for it's shortcomings, and that the wii doesn't some how get a free pass when they critisize every system. Regardless of whether or not a person thinks that Zelda should have voice acting, they mentioned a great many problems the wii has, and simply calling them trolls is a crass way of trying to cover up the many valid critisisms that they make.

If that's the case then I would argue that the dissatisfaction here (while undoubtedly partially caused by ruffled feathers) also has somehting to do with the fact that their method of statement lacks any kind of journalistic professionalism, or even any kind of critical mode or regularity. They make several unqualified statements concerning company resource allocation for various projects and make disparaging remarks that would be tremendously difficult or impossible to verify, and openly state in the podcast that they say these things solely for the purpose of being inflammatory.

Is that enough of a reason to be dissatisfied with their journalistic or editorial dialogue, ignoring my avatar?

They are not journalists, they are enthusiast press. They are professional opinion givers. The vast majority of them do not have degrees in journalism, nor do they claim to be journalists. Their job is that of pundits, to give their views and opinions on what they see. I heard the podcast, they were being sarcastic when they said they are just trying to get clicks by bashing wii. To say that one disagrees with some of it is perfectly justifiable. To ignore everything they are saying which is very justified, under the blanket of "They are just trolls" isn't justified, and is just the usual videogame loyalist method of defending their brand of choice. They've been very regular in their critisisms of all three systems, and what critical "mode" do you want, other than the mode of enthusiast gamer disatisfied with their wii?

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

The_vagabond7 said:
Khuutra said:

If that's the case then I would argue that the dissatisfaction here (while undoubtedly partially caused by ruffled feathers) also has somehting to do with the fact that their method of statement lacks any kind of journalistic professionalism, or even any kind of critical mode or regularity. They make several unqualified statements concerning company resource allocation for various projects and make disparaging remarks that would be tremendously difficult or impossible to verify, and openly state in the podcast that they say these things solely for the purpose of being inflammatory.

Is that enough of a reason to be dissatisfied with their journalistic or editorial dialogue, ignoring my avatar?

They are not journalists, they are enthusiast press. They are professional opinion givers. The vast majority of them do not have degrees in journalism, nor do they claim to be journalists. Their job is that of pundits, to give their views and opinions on what they see. I heard the podcast, they were being sarcastic when they said they are just trying to get clicks by bashing wii. To say that one disagrees with some of it is perfectly justifiable. To ignore everything they are saying which is very justified, under the blanket of "They are just trolls" isn't justified, and is just the usual videogame loyalist method of defending their brand of choice. They've been very regular in their critisisms of all three systems, and what critical "mode" do you want, other than the mode of enthusiast gamer disatisfied with their wii?

I think th thing here is that we have different expectations of the duties of the enthusiast press. It doesn't mattr how they describe themselves, what their educations are, or even how they conduct themselves - they are, by nature of their profession, journalists. Shitty journalists, one could argue, and not quite sure of what they ought to b doing, bu they're still journalists.

And I do not think people are dismissing all of their statements by calling them trolls - that would not be rasonable.

Calling them trolls, though, is not unreasonnable in and of itself.

I've gone over the NSMBWii-power thing before, but i'll re-state my opinion on the matter. I do not think Miyamoto would lie about this, deliberately tarnishing the Wii's image in the public eye, in order to avoid accusations of laziness. If they were doing it because they didn't feel like doing it, they would have said so. So many features they've left out of games for whatever reason, because they didn't feel it would fit.

It would have been so much easier for him to just brush off the question, rather than outright lying. If the truth is easier, why lie?

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network

Computer specs and program use of them is not up to common sense. That is the excuse of the intellectually lazy, trying to deflect the burden of proof.

From the specs we know of the Wii, we don't have a single list telling us how any of the games on the Wii use those specs. I don't even know if the PS3 or 360 have that as well.

How many polygons does Mario alone have? What's the texture resolution? What's the total RAM, CPU, GPU, and pipeline (pixel and TEV) use of that model? Anyone?

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

erased post

IGN your ship is sinking.

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

Bobbuffalo said:
The_vagabond7 said:
Khuutra said:
The_vagabond7 said:
Khuutra said:
Is this discussion suddenly about arguing the merits of the Wii? Are we supposed to be arguing with the statements by IGN here?

I have no idea. I'm just arguing that they are perfectly justfied in critisizing the wii for it's shortcomings, and that the wii doesn't some how get a free pass when they critisize every system. Regardless of whether or not a person thinks that Zelda should have voice acting, they mentioned a great many problems the wii has, and simply calling them trolls is a crass way of trying to cover up the many valid critisisms that they make.

Then way more reasons to treat them like the retarded people they are and point their biased, childish and pathetic opinions.

Just because is an opinion doesn't mean they are right or that they should be forgiven If they are wrong. period. end of story.

And NSMBWii doesn't have online, leaderboards, push the wii to its limits..

SO WHAT?!

You are really hurting my argument here

Khuutra said:
The_vagabond7 said:

Common sense doesn't mean a lot in this case - unless, like Kylie, you want to call Miyamoto a liar. If that's the case, then the burden of proof is on you, and "common sense" does not qualify.

Fine, you keep on believing that Miyamoto wasn't doing PR, and that NSMBW is in fact the pinnacle of what the wii can handle technologically, that in fact the people absolutely most familiar with the system cannot in actuality squeeze any more out of it than what has been accomplished with the monumental technical feat that is NSMBW. Back when the wii was released there were many nay sayers saying "NAY! There can never be a 2d platformer, that looks like a decent improvement over a DS game, running with 4 people simultaneously! The wii cannot handle it! What, with all the goomba matrixes, and Koopa AI and the like!" But, they were proven wrong when Miyamoto personally rolled up his sleeves and showed them that you could get 3....no...no....4!!! 4!!! Players playing at once!!! With some complex abstract mathematics, and a completely new programming language designed entirely for this game alone invented by miyamoto, one could in fact mimic Super Smash Brothers Brawl's Adventure mode with less textures, fewer graphical effects, and midi music, at the expense of online play!

You go ahead and believe it, I'm going to remain incredulous that NSMBW is the pinnacle of wii technology.