By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - IGN N-Podcast 60 and Summary - How Wii doesn't even compare to Current Gen.

The Ghost of RubangB said:
I'm a Wii only owner, and the only things that could make the Wii better would be a Wii Katamari game ...

You, sir, must purchase Rabbids Go Home immediately.

I played the first 2 levels at E3.  Didn't seem too Katamari-esque yet.  Does it get more Katamari-esque later on?  Does the growth make you stronger like it does in Katamari or Elebits or Snake Rattle 'n' Roll?  'Cuz that's what I need.  Growth power.

Around the Network
Gamerace said:

Well, I'd really like to argue with your logic, but I won't.  It was Miyamoto's decision and not made for 'lazy' reasons.   However, I'll still call it inconsiderant and it just come off as feeling 'lazy'.

I would agree with both of those statements. It just irks me that people are slamming a game that had a shit load of devotion put into it. Nothing about the game says lazy at all. Inconsiderate, bad, stupid, and many other adjectives I will not disagree with. I also won't defend the lack of inclusion in other games as hard. Well maybe Punch-out! but only because I think it was a budget issue (that is not a game guaranteed to make any investment back).

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

psrock said:
Gnizmo said:
psrock said:

I just Don't feel like starting a war today. But It's no use anyway, I have argued with MS fans, Sony FANS and many diffirent fans, sadly Nintendo fans are usually the ones I get nowhere with most of the times. It's going to be back and forth with no end in sight, it almost feels religious.

Clearly the only explanation is blind faith. It is impossible that people who bought the Wii have a different set of values. I mean what kind of ridiculous person wouldn't want their console to be more like the competition that they, implicitly, decided was not worth as much as their console of choice.

What are those values that makes a Nintedo fans so different than everybody else, what laws exist that somehow it is a crime to ever critcize Nntendo, I just want to know.

It's because Nintendo comes from the future, when all the console wars are over, when games are beautiful art that can do any sort of experiment in any genre and still be appreciated as art.  In a world where critics all herald the latest gritty action/adventure games, from Double Dragon to Street Fighter to Tomb Raider to Gears to Uncharted, Nintendo can make video games about really crazy stupid ideas like plumbers that shoot fireballs at turtles and just jump everywhere yelling "Wahoo!", and not only will these games not be laughed off the face of the Earth, but they will become the best-selling games of all time.  They can do the same with exercise, and even dogs.

The thing that makes Nintendo fans different is we realize that Nintendo is totally insane, and we love it.  It's like being a fan of a really crazy artist, and half the fun is never knowing what their crazy ass is gonna do next.  Even their mistakes are really interesting for being so different, like the Virtual Boy.  Nintendo wasn't hardcore before, and going crazy overnight with the DS and the Wii.  They've been making really weird crazy arty games and design revolutions for decades.  The hardcore Nintendo faithful have been there for the same reasons all along.

On the control side they gave us the D-Pad, shoulder buttons, the first reliable wireless controller, the first microphone, the first touchscreen, the first motion controls, and the first IR controls.  They were the first to give us rumble and the first to put a speaker on the remote itself.  On the gameplay side they gave us platforming, 3-D camera controls, and Z-Targetting, just to name a few.  Whenever Nintendo announces something crazy, the hardcore may laugh, but everybody else is paying very close attention for fear of missing out on another revolution.  For example, nobody knows what the Vitality Sensor even is really, and Sony has already patented a knock-off for the PS3.  Half the fun of being a Nintendo fan is watching the industry reactions to Nintendo, from Sony, Microsoft, and now these new IGN meltdowns.

Sorry if that was too long or too much of the same-old, but I think that's what makes Nintendo's superfans different.  We're in this for the long haul.  We see Nintendo as more of a crazy avant-garde gameplay-art studio.  Ideas are hit or miss, but they have the biggest hits and the biggest misses, and I love them for both.

But then again, I might be crazier than the rest of the Nintendo fans, in which case I'm only talking about myself.

Khuutra said:
Wish you'd just answered me now, huh psrock?

Nah, I think I said what I wanted to say.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
psrock said:
Khuutra said:

It would have been a lot shorter.

And what people mean by value differences is what values they seek out in video games: it's why different people enjoy different games. That's all that's meant. It's a more scholarly way of saying "We don't necessarily like the same things"

Around the Network
Gamerace said:
Demotruk said:
Torillian said:
Dv8thwonder said:
My response to anyone still complaining about the lack of online multiplayer in NSMBWii.
Read the sig

your sig does not apply, noone is saying they should take out offline multiplayer to put in online, they are saying it should have both.  I find it hard to believe that both would not be better than either one.

It's being economical, Nintendo have limited manpower, money and time. They need to get games out in certain time frames, so they have to focus on what's important. It'd be nice if they could fit everything into every game, but that's not practical in reality.

I agree with you to a point.  But Nintendo is not a small developer.  They have the manpower, it's just a matter of priorities.  If they wanted online on NSMBW it would have been there and still out before Christmas, it may have delayed some other game a bit but there's no question it could have been done.   And money?  Are you kidding?   Nintendo is by FAR the richest software developer.  They are making billions where most are losing millions.   If anyone has the money, it's Nintendo.    If EA (who's lost millions) can put solid online in their Wii games, so can Nintendo.

It's a sales question, which sort of factors into laziness, but not as directly. They're not just trying to save money, they're trying to save money that, if spent, would net them no recognizable return. I agree that the games would have benefitted from those features from a gameplay perspective (except maybe Wii Sports Resort. That would have just felt wierd online), but would they have sold more? I think that's part of what's stopping Nintendo from embracing online more fully. They're not seeing how it would benefit their bottom line

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Khuutra said:
psrock said:
Khuutra said:

And what people mean by value differences is what values they seek out in video games: it's why different people enjoy different games. That's all that's meant. It's a more scholarly way of saying "We don't necessarily like the same things"

that would be a great thread, what makes Nintendo games so different?

As for the value issue, it came tome as an arragant just like when HD fans brings up the graphic excuse.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
psrock said:
Khuutra said:
psrock said:
Khuutra said:

As for the value issue, it came tome as an arragant just like when HD fans brings up the graphic excuse.

It's not arrogant, though: it's just saying that different people look for different kids of experiences. In order for that to seem "arrogant", you have to assume that people are saying that "different' means "better", which (I hope) is usually not the case.

I think this thread has legs to achieve +500K posts within its lifetime.

Khuutra said:
psrock said:
Khuutra said:
psrock said:
Khuutra said:

It's not arrogant, though: it's just saying that different people look for different kids of experiences. In order for that to seem "arrogant", you have to assume that people are saying that "different' means "better", which (I hope) is usually not the case.

You don't think these guys truly believe Nintendo makes better games than anyone else?

Nintendo can do wrong, there is an excuse for everything, some post here sounds like they were there in the meetings with Nintendo because it seems like they know why Nintendo does everything.

Next Gen