By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
RolStoppable said:

While you try to nitpick every single detail of Malstrom's reasoning, isn't the basic premise correct? That Zelda isn't what it used to be. It's hard to define, but Zelda sure is losing its "magic".

I would say this is down to personal taste and has nothing to do with whether a game has mainstream appeal or has success in the marketplace.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Around the Network

I'm wondering if we should make two threads. One to discuss his feelings on specific games, and another to discuss his ideas in general, since it seems the latter gets lost in the discussion of the former.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Im wondering whether you need to do so as well. Malstrom on strategy, Malstrom on games and that way you can polute two of the hot topic positions at times!

Tease.

Khuutra:  it looks like our analyses actually differ more than I thought!  Aplogies in advance that my responses will be delayed significantly.

Khuutra said:

1. We must consider different value metrics coming into play here! Back in the old days, there tended to be a much more unified type of gamer, who came form the arcades. Malstrom has acknowledged this before, and it was a talking point in several recent posts by him (I think). There still are not as many arcade-style gamers now as there were then - if Malstrom insists that there are then he is wrong. The Wii crowd are TV-style gamers, and the handheld market is similarly diffrent, which can be gleaned from their software choices.

Two problems here:

First, while there certainly are more than just arcade-type gamers today (primarily because there are more than just arcade-type games!), that has little bearing on the quantity of arcade-or-potentially-arcade-type gamers in the world today.  Think it through: you're saying that because there are more groups being served, the size of the original group must have somehow decreased.  That is illogical: the original group does not vanish simply because new groups emerge!  They may leave gaming because they are no longer being catered to, i.e. they morph into lapsed gamers, but they must still exist.  We're not dealing with a zero-sum equation here.  You may argue that there is a higher number of non-arcade-type gamers out there than not,* but that has little effect on the number of arcade-type gamers that exist.

That paragraph was a grammatical mess. :-/

Second, what is a "TV-style gamer"? It sounds like you're trying to say that titles like Wii Sports are not based on arcade-type gameplay.  Is this correct?

*For the record I'm not convinced that this is true, but that's a separate discussion.

Khuutra said:

2. Leading from the fact that there is a fracturing of value metrics, we must also acknowledge that the percentage of players who would appreciat a game like Zelda has necessarily shrunk. Does that support his point? No, it doesn't - I'm talking about The Legend of Zelda, not Zelda as a franchise. The original game could not perform similarly to its past performance in the current market, and drawing direct parallels is foolish.

What support do you have for this?  People were saying the exact same thing about a 2D Mario game, that its time had passed and that folks nowadays only wanted 3D Mario.  I know for sure that it's on the verge of outselling Mario 3 in Japan, and possibly the world!  Returning to the series' roots worked brilliantly in recreating the phenomena that was Mario, and it's likely to succeed with Donkey Kong.*  Why not apply the successful formula to Zelda?

*Okay, Country's not really DK's "roots," but it was definitely a stronger era than the games that drifted from that formula and underperformed as a result.

Khuutra said:

3. "Mainstream" does not now mean what it meant in 1987. As value metrics have changed, so hass "mainstream" in the context of video games. Mainstream in 1987 was arcade gamers. Mainstream in 2010 are people who don't play games yet - existing gamers have such wide and varying value metrics that "mainstream," when applied to current (or core) gamers, can only refer to the largest minority. That is not what "mainstream" means if we are trying to use it in the original spirit of the word.

Two points.

First, even if we accept your statement (and I don't completely), the 2010 mainstream gamer already has a chance to try the modern Zelda formula on the Wii.  Twilight Princess, which we must note was a launch title for the Wii AND is the first multi-platform Zelda game ever made,  has done well for itself.  But no one can say that it was a "phenomenon."  To the best of my knowledge there has been one Modern Zelda clone made this generation, and a port of a PS2 game.  Since developers haven't exactly grown in originality (see, e.g., the number of shooters at E3) I find it very convincing evidence that even the sheep don't think cloning Modern Zelda will rake in the cash.

Second, I repeat that there is already a Modern Zelda on the Wii.  A new one would excite the existing fanbase, sure, but it's not going to appeal to the group which you've identified as the 2010 Mainstream, or they'd have already bought and played Twilight Princess.

Khuutra said:

4. There is a difference between "decline" and "stagnation". Argue that the Zelda series has declined, and you are wrong - sales prove that, especially sales in comparison to the size of demographics to whom the series appeals. Argue that it has stagnated, and I will nod in glum acknowledgement. Zelda sales have ben stale for the past 20 years. That's not going to change unless the series changes in a way that Malstrom himself can neither predict, quantify, or possibly even like. He thinks Skyward Sword is the one to watch because it may be the most mainstream title since OoT, but he's wrong. Skyward Sword will not appeal to the mainstream at all, because it appeals to arcade values.

I'll agree that stagnation may be a better term.  And I sincerely doubt that Skyward Sword will be "The One," contrary to Malstrom's newfound optimism.  To be honest, I'm not even sure going back to the roots would be for the best, although I'd be happy to try it.  But I'm not at all sure why you're so certain that arcade values no longer appeal to the masses. 

Perhaps you're defining the term differently.  I understand Malstrom's definition to mean "get me in quickly and keep me engaged throughout." "Stimulating" is a word he's used: don't slow down the action.  This quality is apparent in games like Wii Sports, Resort, and NSMBWii.  I do not need to point out that all of those have done phenomenally well.  Why would applying those exact same values prove futile to Zelda?

Khuutra said:

5. This logic cannot apply solely to Zelda, and yet that is the only place in which he applies it! He calls New Super Mario Bros. Wii a phenomenon in line with every other game in its series, and yet in order to stand on level with Super Mario World (much less Mario Bros. 3) it would need to sell over FORTY MILLION COPIES. It will not make even half that! In order to compare to Super Mario Bros. 3, it would need to sell nearly as much as Wii Sports (which is owned by, what, a third of the market? Guessing here)! If we accept that the first Zelda was owned by 10% of the market, and Twilight Princess is owned by.... let's say 3.5% of the market (the accuracy of the figure here doesn't matter so longn as I keep the scale the same), and then we look at Super Mario Bros. 3's 30% compared to NSMBWii's 8%.... Christ, they've declined by exactly the same amount!

Who would have thunk!

Mario World was packed in with Super Nintendos since Day One.  It outsold Mario 3. Mario 3 ended at 17.28 million copies sold worldwide.  New Super Mario Bros. on the DS has handily outsold both of those games and continues to extend the gap.  New Super Mario Bros. Wii will outsell Mario 3 this year, and likely World by the next.  I'm not sure where 40 million comes from; the original game, I assume?

Here's the link to the sales figures.

http://www.vgchartz.com/worldtotals.php?name=mario 3&publisher=&console=&genre=&minSales=0&results=50&sort=Total

So yeah, same values as the old games     Plus     larger modern market size = greater sales.

That supports Malstrom's argument.

Khuutra said:

6. Diversification in tasts necessarily means that any game standing out from the cowd has succeeded in a much bigger way than those games which did so when the market was less diverse! Size hs little or nothing to do with this point, because if you're a much larger market but with much more varied tastes, then a given genre may necessarily decline and for a game to appeal beyond the boundaries of a genre in this varied market requires a deeper and more intrinsic level of appeal!

Can you guess how much DKCR would need to sell to match his expectations of it measuring up against DKC? I'm not sure. The number is absolutely absurd. I think it's in the range of 18 million!

The point here is this: Malstrom pretends there's an absolute metric of quality that will appeal to everyone. He's wrong.

Also he's a hpocrite for not lamenting the death of 2D Mario.

Regarding your first paragraph, I reiterate that I have seen nothing to support that idea.  The sales data just supplied suggests just the opposite, in fact.

The highest-selling Donkey Kong Country topped out at under 10 million.

http://www.vgchartz.com/worldtotals.php?name=donkey kong country&publisher=&console=&genre=&minSales=0&results=50&sort=Total

Malstrom has several posts in which he says that a new Donkey Kong Country won't perform as well as NSMBWii, but that it will still do well.  He's actually not a huge fan of the series from a sales-standpoint.  I won't put words in his mouth and say what he's expecting, but I doubt it's anywhere near 18 million.

I have no idea why you're calling him a hypocrite for "not lamenting the death of 2D Mario."  Sarcasm I assume?

Finally, you're doing him a disservice by stating that he believes there's "an absolute metric of quality that will appeal to everyone."  I've followed his posts closely, and I have never seen him state this or anything close to it.

What he does say, repeatedly, is that he believes that the general gaming market is more receptive to arcade-style games than the ones we have now.  Not that it appeals to everyone.  But that it appeals to MORE people than the current alternatives.

theRepublic said:
RolStoppable said:

While you try to nitpick every single detail of Malstrom's reasoning, isn't the basic premise correct? That Zelda isn't what it used to be. It's hard to define, but Zelda sure is losing its "magic".

I would say this is down to personal taste and has nothing to do with whether a game has mainstream appeal or has success in the marketplace.

I'm actually mostly inclined to agree.  "Magic" is too amorphous to do us any good.  And let me be the first to say that the Modern Zelda formula is beloved by millions, who would probably be turned off by a return to Classic Zelda.  More broadly, I feel that Malstrom has a tendency to substitute his own tastes and feelings with his analyses from time to time:  he's done an internal ping-pong match about Metroid that frankly leaves me bewildered, and I never understood the obsession with Dynamic Slash/Monster Hunter.*

That said, is Zelda as much of a killer app as it used to be?  I didn't notice any particular hardware bumps in Gamecube sales when Twilight Princess was released, or in the DS when either Phantom Hourglass or Spirit Tracks came out.  I DO remember hearing that Gamecube sales went up with Wind Waker, and before that Majora's, and a crapton before that with Ocarina.**  The series does not seem to have the pull that it used to.

While we're on the subject, I'd like to say that Malstrom IS capable of changing his stance.  I remember you e-mailed him with the fact that Ocarina remains the top-selling Zelda game ever, and I believe others have followed up on that point since.  Since that time, he's actually begun giving the game credit, even though that damages his thesis a bit.  So, credit where credit's due and all that.

*Well, I get Monster Hunter now that I've tried it more, but not why he was ogling it for so long.  For the record, I also don't buy his story about Wii Music.

**It's been a while though, so my recollections may be incorrect.

LordTheNightKnight said:

I'm wondering if we should make two threads. One to discuss his feelings on specific games, and another to discuss his ideas in general, since it seems the latter gets lost in the discussion of the former.

There's no point.  Besides, we're fulfilling the purpose of this thread by discussing Malstrom: you don't WANT Rhonin to post massive Malstrom articles, and then have only three or four "that's nice" posts following, right?

Edit: Nevermind, post incoming.

Around the Network

Malstrom is so eager to see all games developers and publishers except Nintendo go bankrupt that whenever a game sells well he holds his breath until it stops selling.

He must have become an anaerobic organism by now, as he's still alive!  

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

noname's words are in all these boxes:

Two problems here:

First, while there certainly are more than just arcade-type gamers today (primarily because there are more than just arcade-type games!), that has little bearing on the quantity of arcade-or-potentially-arcade-type gamers in the world today.  Think it through: you're saying that because there are more groups being served, the size of the original group must have somehow decreased.  That is illogical: the original group does not vanish simply because new groups emerge!  They may leave gaming because they are no longer being catered to, i.e. they morph into lapsed gamers, but they must still exist.  We're not dealing with a zero-sum equation here.  You may argue that there is a higher number of non-arcade-type gamers out there than not,* but that has little effect on the number of arcade-type gamers that exist.

I do not mean to say that arcade-style gamers ceased to exist, but the fact of them being lapsed gamrs means that there are less of them by necessity; do you mean to imply that, during the decades where arcade gaming was negleted, arcade gamers sprung up out of nowhere to replace those who lapsed? Or do you mean to suggest that all arcade gamers who lapsed have returned? The latter is impossible; the former is not impossible, but software trends suggest that it is not the case.

noname said:

Second, what is a "TV-style gamer"? It sounds like you're trying to say that titles like Wii Sports are not based on arcade-type gameplay.  Is this correct?

One hundred percent, absolutely correct. Malstrom holds arcade-style play as being about acceessibility and pick-up-and-play mechanics, but that's not the case. There are different schools of game design, and one that was focused on for the Wii (and Wii Sports in particular, if I remember my Iwata Asks and various interviews with Miyamoto) was that games should be like watching television.

Arcade-style play requires an increase in measurable (through score) skill in order to progress or, sometimes, to have fun. TV-style gaming does not require that in order to have fun. The way in which Wii Sports differentiates itself from something like Space Invaders or Pac-Man is that there is no sense of pressure or even danger in TV-style gaming, save for where the player creates it for himself. The ghosts chasing Pac-Man are the impetus for every action taken in that game; in Wii Sports, it's just the act of hitting a ball. Even Wii Sports Boxing and Wii Sports Tennis and Wii Sports Baseball, all inherently competitive games in life, are rendered approachable and stress-free by their presentation. The only pressure you experience, the only need for a high score, is your own.

Arcade games are dsigned to make you lose, and punish you in terms of progression by taking away lives or resetting your progress altogether. TV games do not do that. You can play TV games as much as you like, however you like, and never be punished for doing poorly.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii is the biggest arcade-style game on the market right now except for maybe Mario Kart Wii. Wii Sports is the biggest TV-style.

noname said:

*For the record I'm not convinced that this is true, but that's a separate discussion.

Consider that there are many, many gamers in the world. Just looking at the console (TV-attached and handheld) space, let's assume that the generation tops out with about 200 million gamers. You'll note that that's just the number of DSes and PSPs added together, so it may be considerably more than that, particularly in a year or two.

Now, at the height of arcade gamer frenzy, it's impossible to say how many gamers there were. No way to keep track of it. Not every arcade gamer moved on to playing arcade-style games on the NES; I think we can acknowledge that this is true, even lacking proof. We already know that the... ~62 million NES gamers did not represent the totality of arcade gamers, who were already beginning to lapse. They do, however, present the logical upper limit of arcade gamers who participated in the console space.

Now, I think we can also acknowledge that arcade gaming was much stronger in the NES era than it is now, two and a half decades later, unless you want to make a very strong argument against the distinction between arcade-style gaming and TV-style gaming. We have no reason to believe that those arcade gamers who lapsed during the NES era re-surfaced duringn this generation. Following this, we can assume that the NES's hardware total presents a reasonable upper limit to the number of current arcade gamers, given the assumption that all lapsed NES gamers, even the dead ones, have returned to play one of this generation's five systems.

For the sake of simplicity, we'll say that a gamer can belong rpimarily to one classification and no others. That's disengenuous as a premise because some people enjoy many schools of design, but if they do then they would not have lapsed based on the absence of only one school.

If we assume that all 62 million or so lapsed NES gamers have returned and that there were not a statistically significant number that emerged in the howling vacuum-absence of arcade games, then they would represent 31% of the current market.

I know your counter-argument already: this generation itself has created arcade-style gamers through the proliferation of the Mario Karts and the side-scrolling Marios, as well as a huge part of the DS library. I acknowledge that, and acknowledge that quantifying them is difficult. I also put forward, however, that TV-style gaming - Wii Sports, Wii Play, Nintendogs, Brain Age - trumps arcade-style gaming at every turn. Add in the current "core", who are not arcade gamers, and I think it fairly safe to assume that arcade gamers do not make up the majority anymore.

noname said:

What support do you have for this?  People were saying the exact same thing about a 2D Mario game, that its time had passed and that folks nowadays only wanted 3D Mario.  I know for sure that it's on the verge of outselling Mario 3 in Japan, and possibly the world!  Returning to the series' roots worked brilliantly in recreating the phenomena that was Mario, and it's likely to succeed with Donkey Kong.*  Why not apply the successful formula to Zelda?

*Okay, Country's not really DK's "roots," but it was definitely a stronger era than the games that drifted from that formula and underperformed as a result.

You have to pay particular attention to the phrasing here: the percentage of players has necessarily shrunk, which is to say that Zelda players who appreciate The Legend of Zelda necessarily make up a smaller part of the market because more and more schools of design have been introduced and obtained followers. If you have a group of people where 12% really like corn, and then bring in a number of people who do not like corn, then the percentage of people who like corn will drop - say, to 6% - even though the absolute number of people who like corn remains the same.

I am only holding to the idea put forth earlier that equal appeal with a larger population comes out to an increase in the absolute measure of appeal (sales). 7 million people buying the original Zelda today is a much smaller number than 7 million 23 years ago, which you pointed out.

I think you are being inconsistent on one point: you acknowledge that Zelda's sales are stagnant, and equate this to a popularity decline, but when NSMBWii's are (relatively) stagnant when factoring in increased population, this does not equate to a decline in popularity. How do you reconcile this?

noname said:

Two points.

First, even if we accept your statement (and I don't completely), the 2010 mainstream gamer already has a chance to try the modern Zelda formula on the Wii.  Twilight Princess, which we must note was a launch title for the Wii AND is the first multi-platform Zelda game ever made,  has done well for itself.  But no one can say that it was a "phenomenon."  To the best of my knowledge there has been one Modern Zelda clone made this generation, and a port of a PS2 game.  Since developers haven't exactly grown in originality (see, e.g., the number of shooters at E3) I find it very convincing evidence that even the sheep don't think cloning Modern Zelda will rake in the cash.

Second, I repeat that there is already a Modern Zelda on the Wii.  A new one would excite the existing fanbase, sure, but it's not going to appeal to the group which you've identified as the 2010 Mainstream, or they'd have already bought and played Twilight Princess.

I'm not actually clear on your point here, especially in reference to mine. I was saying nothing about Zelda. I mean to imply that the true mainstream, the people that Nintendo desperately wants to sell to, are people who don't play games, rather than arcade gamers who have returned to the 2D Mario fold. That has nothing to do with Zelda.

I have also already acknowledged that the mainstream doesn't actually like Zelda.

noname said:

I'll agree that stagnation may be a better term.  And I sincerely doubt that Skyward Sword will be "The One," contrary to Malstrom's newfound optimism.  To be honest, I'm not even sure going back to the roots would be for the best, although I'd be happy to try it.  But I'm not at all sure why you're so certain that arcade values no longer appeal to the masses.

Arcade values appealed to the masses in the past only in the sense that those were the games people played. Those people are not the masses anymore - the masses are people who don't care about video games at all. Zelda is not the kind of game that could possibly appeal to those people. Wii Sports is something closer to it, but not Zelda, and not even Mario.

It needs to be said, though, that even TV-style games do not appeal to the masses. No single style of game can.

noname said:

Perhaps you're defining the term differently.  I understand Malstrom's definition to mean "get me in quickly and keep me engaged throughout." "Stimulating" is a word he's used: don't slow down the action.  This quality is apparent in games like Wii Sports, Resort, and NSMBWii.  I do not need to point out that all of those have done phenomenally well.  Why would applying those exact same values prove futile to Zelda?

Lumping those three together is disengenuous.

I suppose the best way to put it is like this, borrowing a little from Malstrom:

Arcade games should make you feel like a bad-ass.

TV games should be fun, even if you don't want to feel like a bad-ass. The point of TV-style games is that you can slow down the action, with no penalty.

You could apply TV game values to Zelda, sure, but it wouldn't be Zelda anymore, and the real masses don't want to play a game that forces them to be a bad-ass. They would rrather watch TV.

noname said:

Mario World was packed in with Super Nintendos since Day One.  It outsold Mario 3. Mario 3 ended at 17.28 million copies sold worldwide.  New Super Mario Bros. on the DS has handily outsold both of those games and continues to extend the gap.  New Super Mario Bros. Wii will  outsell Mario 3 this year, and likely World by the next.  I'm not sure where 40 million comes from; the original game, I assume?

Here's the link to the sales figures.

http://www.vgchartz.com/worldtotals.php?name=mario 3&publisher=&console=&genre=&minSales=0&results=50&sort=Total

So yeah, same values as the old games   Plus     larger modern market size = greater sales.

That supports Malstrom's argument.

Not at all. You have to remember that an increase in market size should in theory produce an equivalent increase in a game's popularity if its appeal remains constant. If we had 60 million gamers when Mario 3 came out, we can say it had 25-30% appeal. If we had 100 million for SMW, then it had something like 20% appeal.

You see where I'm going with this?

If appeal is absolute and translates absolutely into sales (which is the logical extreme of Malstrom's thesis in regards to Zelda and its sales as a franchise) then selling to a smaller slice of the market means that appeal has declined. NSMBWii would have to sell to 35-40 million people to be as popular as SMB3 was. It would need to sell more than that in order to have the same level of appeal as Super Mario World. The only conclusion is that 2D Mario's appeal is declining.... unless we accept that the introduction of alternative value metrics and schools of design necessarily marginalize previously monopilistic schools. In that case, absolute appeal is still declining, but it doesn't mean a decline in popularity because it's appealing to as many people as it can reasonably appeal.

noname said:

I have no idea why you're calling him a hypocrite for "not lamenting the death of 2D Mario."  Sarcasm I assume?

Not at all. Mario's appeal as measured by his ability to sell to a given percentage of an install base has unquestionably shrunk over time, almost perfect in line with Zelda's. Any lamentations for one must be applied to the other, and when one is praised so must the other be. They have held essentially equal with one another, in terms of growth, for decades.

noname said:

What he does say, repeatedly, is that he believes that the general gaming market is more receptive to arcade-style games than the ones we have now.  Not that it appeals to everyone.  But that it appeals to MORE people than the current alternatives.

I'm not sure that even that's true anymore unless you consider Call of Duty to be arcade-style (you could make the argument, I guess), but it's nullified regardless bcause of the enormous presence of TV-style games, which are as big as arcade games ever were.

Lol, he printed my email.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

jarrod said:

He's reacting off his gut, pure and simple.  The fact he's placing so much emphasis on story and immersion, almost at the expense of gameplay (something the Retroids never came close to getting 100% btw, and something I'd argue is far more central to Metroid) sort of underlies the hypocrascy he shows when it comes to evaluating Other M versus about everything else he speaks on.  There's no intellect there, he too emotional, too invested and not removed enough to be rational.

And no, I don't read Malstrom regularly, and I don't know the full breadth of his "thesis" on Other M.   I'm commenting more his little blurb at the top of the page, and the stupidity of him trying to compare Other M sales to DKCR sales and somehow imply that NCL will "see the light" and get Retro on "Super Metroid 2" or whatever nonsense.

The analysis of what drives Metroid is very peculiar. Ultimately i think that what drives Metroid is something similar to what drives Survival Horror games, and that no-one is entirely seeing that. Which Metroid games have been the strongest in sales and critical reception alike? The games that created a sense of survival urgency, like survival horror without the horror. What Metroid game sold best? Metroid. What Metroid game created the most urgent sense of survival? Metroid.

Metroid II, Super Metroid, and Metroid Prime created that sense of survival crisis. Even though Metroid Fusion and Metroid Prime 2 were arguably the hardest out of the set, they didn't create the sense of survival. Metroid Prime 3 heeled dangerously close to feeling like a regular FPS, as did Prime Hunters, and you can kinda see it.

At one point i'm going to write a miniature essay on this point, probably closer to when Other M comes out. Other M's success will hinge on its ability to create the sense of Survival crisis.

Being story centric will not necessarily harm it, so long as that story helps create the sense of Samus' struggle in a hostile environment.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

I think you hit the nail right on the head with your “The M.I.C.E. Quotient post. If only every developer was forced to read and comprehend that post we might not have quite as many spectacularly messy bloated games today.

We just don’t have the technology to make the kinds of games these developers are after. They want to make game for the Holodeck on the U.S.S Enterprise but they can’t because A.I. necessary to pull off that kind of game is far off into the future.

Point-and-click games and visual novels seem to handle idea based stories well. But they are noticeably limited in terms of choices the player can make. All the choices have to be pre-written by the developers. We still haven’t gotten to the point were those games can except real input from users.

The M.I.C.E. Quotient is really writing 101 for many classes and beginning writing books. For example, you will find it in Orson Scott Card’s book on ‘how to write science fiction’ aimed at beginner science fiction writers. All mediums have a craft. Just as game makers have developed a recognition of basic and more advanced principles of what makes a video game, just as musicians and movie makers have understood their craft, so too have writers done the same for ‘stories’. Since something like ‘writing’ is a very old medium, there is staggering amount of craft detail.

Games are an interactive medium. The gamer is limited to his buttons and movements of the controller. On PCs, it is a little better as the player has a full keyboard. But that is also pushing buttons.

The brain naturally has a filter which is used to remove information that is not necessary to what the brain wants to do. When you are playing a video game and a cutscene appears, the brain likely filters the cutscene out and makes it ‘background scenery’. However, when you are watching a movie, the brain completely absorbs what is going on the screen. For another example, if you are reading text and pages of it in a video game, the brain will want to filter that out. However, if you are reading a novel the brain will process the text as the central thing.

There is something about the video game where the mind will focus entirely on what the player can do (“What I can do”) and tend to shove the other stuff to the side. The only times I think the gamer’s mind is fully engaged on text or cutscenes and other stuff may be in the introduction of the game (before you start playing) and the ending of the game (when you stop playing). Also, the player appears to better absorb “story” and all when it is firmly placed between levels and the player knows he is not playing. An example of this would be, say, Wing Commander 2 or even the original NES Ninja Gaiden. Lately, games have been putting in ‘in-game’ cutscenes which I believe the mind is ‘filtering’ out more because it is still in ‘play mode’. The more developers try to blur the lines between ‘story/cutscenes’ and ‘game’, the more the mind will filter it out and the developers’ hard work won’t be processed by the gamer.

It is very fascinating asking gamers to recount their previous play experiences.. especially in the games they love. What they always seem to do is they talk about the game not in terms of a character they are controlling but that they are the character. When the character jumps, they jump. When the character gets a new item, they get a new item.

Let’s look at Mega Man. No one really sees him as a ‘character’. They see him as themselves. And the ‘story’ the fuses in the player’s mind is not the text or cutscenes that roll from the game, it is the player’s actions and decisions. “I got the Metal Blade!” squeals the gamer triumphantly. He does not say, “Mega Man got the Metal Blade” even if the game says that.

One thing I am excited to see in Zelda Wii is how different ways you can kill the enemy. Two people can play the same exact game and, when they talk about the game, they will realize they are playing it differently. One person will say, “I don’t use the bow and arrow. I just roll bombs into them!” And another person could say, “I prefer to throw my bombs.”

Consider the original Super Mario Brothers, which is a type of gold standard in gaming. It was one of the first times that there were so many ways to approach an enemy. You could jump on them. You could use a turtle shell on them. You could use fireballs. You could use a star. You could hit the block from underneath them. You could even avoid them altogether. Certainly, this was partly responsible for Super Mario Brothers becoming a magical game. In most games at the time, there were few options left to the player.

Even in Donkey Kong, the player had options such as using the hammer. The hammer in Donkey Kong is not necessary. The game can be played without it. But the experience would not have been the same without the hammer.

Western studios thinks giving the player options means ‘branching story paths’. I don’t think this is the solution at all. It is the extent of choosing one cutscene path over another. If they wish to increase the ‘story’ of a game, try increasing the player’s interactivity with the game.

The more I think about it, the more I realize how Super Mario Brothers was not a simple game. There are so many ways to take out an enemy, for example. Yet, none of this was ‘too daunting’ for the brand new gamer. And we know that Super Mario Brothers was played by people who have never played a video game before, and they became gamers for life.

And if you recall, the original Zeldas, as opposed to the games that were currently out, also had a very rich way a player could choose to dispatch an enemy or interact with the adventure. In the original Zelda, you had your sword. But you also had other items from bombs, bows, boomerang, the magic wand, and so on. And the more I think about it, almost all the hit games from that period of time allowed players many ways to defeat enemies. Here is a partial list from the NES Era…

Mega Man- Numero Uno example of how this IP jumped to the forefront. Mega Man is all about acquiring new weapons which gives the players all sorts of fun choices to go through stages and defeat enemies.

Ninja Gaiden- You could get different items and the player would learn to choose certain ones for certain parts of the game.

Contra- Different weapons were available to the player from lasers, to scatter gun, and so on.

Double Dragon- Remember all the different ways you could attack an enemy? You could punch, you could kick, you could jump kick, and so on.

Gradius- A prime example. Gradius differed from previous space shooters because you could choose different weapons for your little space ship.

Dragon Quest- You could choose what weapons and armor you had. You could choose to attack or cast spells or even run away.

Final Fantasy- You chose the classes of your party as well as the equipment and what types of attacks they would do.

Metroid- Metroid is not about going from one item to another. In Metroid, you could kill enemies in different ways. You could use your gun, you could use bombs, you could use the Screw Attack, you could just freeze them in place and move on.

You get the pattern. Video games are a very young medium. No one fully understands the ‘craft’ of it because it is so young. The movie medium is much older. The writing medium, of course, is way, way older. But with Nintendo looking back at the long line of classic games on up to the present day, I think we may be starting to see the first real detailing of the craft that is unique to video games as a medium.

The news of E3 comes all at once in an avalanche, and it takes days to process all the news. What I’m realizing now is that Zelda Wii was initially going to be something else, and this is why I thought Zelda Wii wouldn’t be too much and perhaps we would have to see the game after in order to see the necessary changes. But I am getting the impression that Miyamoto dropped in, upended the tea table, and began to move the game in the correct direction (such as using Motion Plus) and putting in an interesting combat system. So I am very much looking forward to Zelda Wii where before I wasn’t.

Let’s use this handy dandy graphic again:

When games would become bloated with “story”, I believe it is because the developer was being the guy to the left who says, “Buy this because I kick ass.” This is one reason why I hate the ‘Game God’ worship. ‘Kojima kicks ass. Therefore, you should buy Kojima’s game.” I want it to be the picture on the right where it says, “Buy this because we want YOU to kick ass.” When gaming is made more accessible for example, the thinking is about letting the customer kick ass.

When a bloated story appears in a game, the gamers begin to complain. “This is bloated,” they say. And the developer perhaps interprets these complaints personally as in the DEVELOPER doesn’t kick ass. But, of course, a game is not about the developer. The game is about the player. The player is the only one who has the right to be selfish. The player only cares about him kicking ass. If the player is not kicking ass, he will be frustrated and not like the game.

“I am going to make a game that is more amazing than movies!” says a developer as he makes some gigantic story and plot for a game. The problem is that the developer is focusing on HIM kicking ass instead of the GAMER kicking ass. Let us say there is a high barrier with controls. The gamer gets frustrated. The developer will say, “You do not kick ass because you are stupid. You are retarded. I kick ass. I am Master Devel0per. You must conform to my conditions.” The gamer will just leave and not come back.

Can a video game change your life? The children who grew up with Super Mario Brothers and Zelda say it did. Games like Wii Fit are definitely changing people’s lives which explains its insane sales.

Video games are such a young medium that it is going to be fun for current game makers to “go exploring”. What they discover in the next few decades will be echoed centuries from now.

You said go ahead and email you, because you’re interested in reactions to the news from E3, and I have a few thoughts which I haven’t seen brought up elsewhere, so I figured I’d do just that. These will be over a few different things… I’ll try to organize them a bit.

Skyward Sword:

This report about what was said at Nintendo’s E3 briefing was amusing to me, specifically toward the middle of the page, right above the Skyward Sword screenshot:

- Aonuma says that recent Zeldas have been focusing on things like story and dungeons. Skyward will instead focus on “fun”.

Sounds like whether or not it is true, they’re trying to convince the Malstroms of the world that this game is actually for you. Also:

It sounds like Zelda Wii has undergone a total upheaval from last year. Last year, Zelda was supposed to ‘not have a sword’ but now the game is about the ‘Skyward Sword’? Something very interesting is going on here.

- While the game is now nearly finished, with only a few more dungeons and bosses to go, Nintendo want to give the development team the rest of the year to complete the game. Which makes it sound like a 2011 game.

Why, again? It does seem like they’re trying to change direction a bit on this already-complete game and make it do a little more to appease Malstrom, though of course that may be wrong, and even if it isn’t, it’s doubtful they could really achieve that goal without starting a new game from scratch. So I agree that the Zelda after this will be the one to watch.

It has nothing to do about the ‘Malstroms’. I think it has everything to do about Zelda being in decline. They need to do something different.

I’m taking back about what I said about the ‘Zelda after’ being the one to watch. It appears Nintendo doesn’t feel like ‘dumping’ whatever Aonuma was working on to the market and are doing a complete overhaul of it. Skyward Sword could be the Zelda we’ve been waiting for.

Sony:

I love this quote from Kaz Hirai:

What the PS did for BluRay, it is ready to do for 3D.

Seriously? Blu-Ray has been a block of cement around the ankles of the PS3 since it launched, and now their next bright idea is to attach a ship anchor to it as well in the form of 3D TV…

Sony is so funny.

DKC4:

Awesome! I remember excitedly going out to buy Donkey Kong 64 because I’d had so much fun renting the Donkey Kong Country games and playing them with friends. Just like Mario 64 was not a Mario game, Donkey Kong 64 was not Donkey Kong Country. But now it’s finally back!

DKC4 is very exciting to see.

3DS:

The only game systems I’ve gotten on day 1 have been the Wii and the PSP (the latter turned out to be a mistake). I want a 3DS on day one. When I first heard about it, I thought it would signal Nintendo abandoning disruption; 3D sounded like a sustaining innovation to me. Then Malstrom came along and said that no, it would be disruptive; the disruption literature points out that for most technological innovations it is possible to package them into a form which is sustaining or one which is disruptive. For example Nintendo’s use of motion controls is disruptive while Sony’s is sustaining… and Nintendo’s use of 3D is disruptive while Sony’s is sustaining.

That’s why I felt happy when I read this:

…I started off the cutscene with the 3DS resting on the table, but in my hands. It was a bit further away from my face then it typically would be when playing. The impact was horrendous. It felt like I had gone permanently cross eyed. It made my stomach flop slightly and my eyes quickly tried to correct what they were seeing. I used the slider on the face of the 3DS to turn the 3D down but it didn’t help. They I tried moving the 3DS slightly closer and suddenly the game’s images synched and the world was amazingly deep.

I tried putting the screen even closer to my face, moving it way too close and the image went double again. Tilting the 3DS or moving it to either side made the image fuzzy.

There is, I learned, a 3D sweet-spot for the 3DS, a bubble in which the image is perfect and deep. Outside the bubble things go wrong.

Plus the cameras are only 640 x 480 resolution? Sounds like a disruptive product to me! (“Crappy product for a crappy customer” in the eyes of the “industry.”) It’s good enough: apparently this disruptive innovation is so compelling that even the big third parties who love nothing more than making hardcore games are scrambling to make games for it, if the list of games slated for the system is any indicator. Which is awesome! There are quite a few series on the list I already know I enjoy. Plus it plays all the DS games I already have.

I’m quite interested to see if any games will really take advantage of the way it handles wireless connectivity and interactions (they say it can even exchange data for a game when you have it asleep and with a different game in it).

So now I’m wondering about price and release date. I’m guessing about $180 in November. What do you think?

Thanks for your time and the opportunity to voice my thoughts. : )

Did you note the comments Reggie made about 3d gaming about its ‘stupid glasses’ and ‘expensive TVs’? The aim of these jabs was at Sony and their move to 3d. I think it is pretty clear that Nintendo is using the 3DS to disrupt Sony’s 3d move. I am not surprised at all that 3DS can play ’3d movies’.

Wii was very much a ‘new market’ disruption. 3DS may not be a ‘new market disruption’ but just a ‘low market disruption’ in that Nintendo is content to screw up Sony’s plans. But we’ll see in time.

One funny thing was that I was called by some people a ‘Nintendo fanboy’ or ‘Nintendo apologist’ when I pointed out that 3DS could be disrupting something what Sony is doing, such as moving to 3d gaming with glasses because I mocked Sony’s 3d move before. Now that Nintendo was doing 3d, was I being a hypocrite? I was called that. But those chihuahuas nipping at this site’s heels are eating crow now.

The Era of Consoles Wars is long over. We are now in the Era of Disruption. The Wii was the first disruption. Now we have the 3DS as the follow-up. Sony and Microsoft may try to claim that Move and Kinect are disruptive because they are ‘crappy products for crappy customers’. Well, they got the ‘crappy products’ right, but they aren’t going to get any customers, crappy or otherwise.

Hi Sean,

I’ll keep it short, I know you are getting a lot of mail :)

Am I the only one who thinks the 3DS camera is a big deal? You have said a lot in the past about how game consoles should be about gaming and I agree. But…. am I right in assuming this is the first consumer level 3D camera to hit the market?

I have a two young children (two-and-a-half and eight months), I can tell you my wife and I will take a TON of photos of them with the 3DS when it comes out. Their grandparents are going to want to get copies and be able to view them in 3D too……

I think it falls under the idea of ‘added feature because it is easy for us to implement’. It will be more of a ’3DS can do this too!? Wow,” instead of people looking to buy 3DS primarily for the camera picture taking.

3DS really makes my old Gameboy look ancient by comparison.

Don’t worry, Gameboy. I will always love you.

HD was a gimmick but 3D is all the rage!
bullshit! both are pointless tricks to make me care! make a new IP like you did in 1990 if you have the balls to do it

am i seeing double standards on your site?

why are we cheering 3D?

i’m frustated at kinect and move but not because they suck
i’m frustated because they are promising us more precise control and we are giving it a middle finger
i want more precise control! i want a ping-pong game where i can miss the ball even if i did a swinging motion because the ball went under,i want an archer game that requires no READY button,i want a boxing game where i can duck

when nintendo promised a better wii sport we took it without complaining,it really wasn’t that much better,now we have a chance for a wii sport that’s seriously better and we are giving it the middle finger because nintendo name is nowhere near it,that’s so f*cking stupid

gaming annoy me so much

The bedrock idea of disruption is the concept of ‘overshooting’ the market. HD was laughed at because it was ‘overshooting’ the market. Most people could not tell the difference between HD games and SD games. And most people were not willing to buy a new HD TV just to play HD games. In fact, studies show many Xbox 360 owners play their machines on SD TVs. So the ‘HD Revolution’ has fizzled.

Nintendo’s 3d display works because anyone can see the difference between it and DS graphics (or even home console graphics). It is not overshooting if everyone can see the difference and the value.

The 3d Revolution did not begin and end in the PSX/N64 Era. To the contrary, the 3d Revolution is taking many, many generations. The 3DS is an important step in that direction.

The Wii was also a very important step in that direction. The Wii presented the first ’3d controller’ making it easier to play 3d games with. Unfortunately, the display is still 2d. This is why Nintendo is moving now to 3d displays, and why Iwata wants the next home console to use 3d displays.

Nintendo is moving closer to their ‘Endgame’.

It was very interesting.

I don’t know if you know about the panzer dragoon mythos. That is a really rich universe that somehow never catched up with the mass market. Mainly because of external causes : the link to the saturn and XBox, the limited release of the best game of the series (Azel, the RPG …).
This is exactly what you say : a technology from an ancient and fallen people.
Synopsis :

The game universe is set in the distant future, thousands of years after a great war between humans and their biologically engineered weapons.

By the time of the game, humans have regained some level of organization, forming everything from small tribes to large nations. One nation, The Imperials, have discovered a tower that gave them access to large amounts of ancient weapons which they used to beat back and control the ever-present monsters in the world. The Imperials were corrupted by their power and became conquerors of other people as opposed to liberators from a violent world.

Thanks for the email since I can never tell if my mad rants on the Internet are just chasing the wind. There is so much more to say on this subject, but I do not know if it would be appropriate for a video game site to do so!

Hello there Sir,

I think Nintendo had a pretty good show this E3, and I’m excited about the new Donkey Kong Country (glad they’re finally embracing 2D again on their home console, though it’s ironic they’re simultaneously embracing real 3D on their portable), I have to say, though, I’m really disappointed at their indifference about making good use of Wii’s motion controls. I’m sure you noticed the complete lack of any new Motion Plus games at Nintendo’s keynote. When it was announced Motion Plus was being bundled with the system, I thought it meant Nintendo was getting serious about supporting it, but it appears I was wrong. They seem content to mostly ignore it, and the list of ‘waggle’ games just grows and grows.

You’ve said before that they really needed to push games using the peripheral in order to realize the promise of motion control, which was the main reason the system sold so well to begin with. Soon it will be four years since Wii launched, we will have only two Nintendo motion control games that aren’t handicapped by the controller’s severe limitations, and there’s only one more that we know about, at least a year away. It doesn’t look like third-parties are going to pick up the slack, either. How much do you think this failure to fulfill Wii’s potential could hurt Nintendo’s reputation and success next generation? I at least know that it’s hurting them now, because they’re missing a huge opportunity and have majorly lost momentum. At this point I’ve basically given up on Wii getting very much quality third-party support, and now it looks like we’ll hardly be getting any in-depth motion control games either.

I know you don’t seem to like Move or Kinect, and I mostly agree with you on Kinect, but I have to admit I’ve been impressed by some of the technology and design behind Move. Yeah, it’s kind of expensive and the big glowing ball looks funny, but the controller really seems to work well, and at this point Sony seems more serious about realizing the potential of motion control games than Nintendo does. I don’t know how well it will sell, but at this point I’m really hoping that Move at least doesn’t flop. If Nintendo isn’t going to make good use of motion controls, somebody else needs to.
If Sony was seriously interested in motion control, they would be making interesting games with it.
It takes about two years for software to hatch. Nintendo had no idea whether consumers wanted Motion Plus until Wii Sports was released in late 2009. Let’s try E3 2011 for motion plus software.
Any reason why didn’t you mention Zelda Wii? That has tons of motion plus in it.

While the 7th Generation began with the promise and excitement of the NES Era, it is ending as disappointingly as the 16-bit Era. Many of the games coming out, such as DKC 4, are giving me deja vu of the last hurrah days of the SNES.

If you remember the Transformers movie (the real Transformers movie, not the Michael Bay “Explosions!” Transformers movie), I always felt like Kup who everything in the movie reminded him of some prior event. The 7th Generation is full of events that remind me of things that occurred 15, 20, 25 years ago. The only thing that feels truly new is the Wii Fit phenomenon.

So looking back at memory, let me welcome you to the end of the 16-bit generation.

The year is 1994.

The company Silicon Synapse renamed themselves to the name of ‘Blizzard’ and released this game called ‘Warcraft: Orcs and Humans’.

Microprose released a game called ‘X-Com’.

Raven released a game called ‘Heretic’.

id Software releases ‘Doom II’.

Looking Glass Studios released a game called ‘System Shock’.

A company named ‘Bungie’ released for the Macintosh a first person shooter called ‘Marathon’.

Sierra releases one of the first games to use SVGA graphics called ‘King’s Quest VI’.

Origin Systems released the most ambitious costing game PC gaming had ever seen complete with actor footage called “Wing Commander III”. The record-shattering massively insane budget for the game would be the industry shocking cost of $4 million.

Sim-Tex and Microprose releases ‘Master of Magic’.

Some puny shareware game company named ‘Epic Games’ releases a game called ‘Jazz Jackrabbit’.

LucasArts releases ‘TIE Fighter’.

There was so much excitement and innovation occurring in PC Gaming. There was some shifts and changes going on in the business side as well. Apogee became ’3d Realms’. But the biggest business shock of all was Commodore going out of business. Commodore 64 was THE PC gaming machine of its time.

Another sad thing was the release of “Wario Woods”. It would be the last game released for the NES.

And in 1994, the ESRB was founded.

But on the game consoles, the climax to the Great 16-bit Console War was coming to an end. Nintendo fans were at war against the eeevil Sega fans (and vice versa). Nintendo had Japan’s market in lock. Sega had Europe’s market in lock. North America was the battleground where both Sega and Nintendo were neck to neck. And the eeevil Sega company was currently ‘winning’ in North America in the middle of 1994.

Sega was on fire. Sonic the Hedgehog 3 was released in 1994 along with the ‘Lock On’ technology with Knuckles. Sega released the mushroom shaped 32X for the Genesis. Sega released the Nomad which was a portable Genesis console. And with Time Warner, Sega released the “Sega Channel”.

Many companies were releasing CD add-ons. Some, like Sega, already did. New consoles were coming out that were riding the CD wave such as Playdia and the PC-FX. The NeoGeo released a CD add-on to their hier tier machine.

So what did Nintendo do?

Nintendo declared 1994 to be the “Year of the Cartridge”.

In Japan, Mother 2 was released. Earthworm Jim was released. Mortal Kombat 2 was released on the consoles. It is worth noting that the SNES version of Mortal Kombat 2 contained the blood and gore. In August, Super Metroid was released. In the fall, Final Fantasy VI (3) was released.

Subscribers to Nintendo Power got a curious free video in the mail in the middle of 1994. The cassette was a promo for game called ‘Donkey Kong Country’.

At the second video, be sure to look at 3:26.

The producer of Donkey Kong Country Returns says that he is a ‘player advocate’ and doesn’t want to show us anything of the game. However, when Donkey Kong Country originally demoed, it showed off the content such as some of the winter levels, the underwater levels, the mine cart stages, and so on. They wanted to show the player that there is tons of content here.

When the video starts, they talk about the story (!) of Donkey Kong Country. Now, the reader may think this is the most absurd thing ever. But consider that Donkey Kong, prior to this game, was known as only as the arcade version. The ‘story’, i.e. the content, was the most important factor in the making of Donkey Kong Country as the guy describes the Kremlings and how they are envious of Donkey Kong’s stash of bananas. The entire Donkey Kong Country universe and mythos had to have been conceived before the game was made, obviously.

My favorite was the addition of Cranky Kong. I hope Cranky Kong returns in DKC 4. Retro could even just copy and paste my blog posts into Cranky Kong’s mouth. I hope Cranky complains about how “In my day, gaming on cartridges were so much better! And we didn’t have any of this thumbstick to move around with. Games were 2d and we liked it!”

When Donkey Kong Country was released, all copies were sold out. It rocketed the SNES ahead of the Genesis and gave Nintendo the victory in the 16-bit console war.

So why was Donkey Kong Country so successful? It looked like it was on a brand new console. It sounded marvelous. And it introduced a new world of content to players. No one had seen this universe before. And it resonated well. Everyone can understand ‘monkeys’ and ‘jungle stages’ and ‘evil animals’. Donkey Kong Country also was a nod to the Old School with acknowledging Donkey Kong’s roots (Cranky Kong, barrels everywhere, etc).

Sonic the Hedgehog’s rise came mostly through counterculture type feel. Sonic was the ‘bad boy’ who appealed to teenagers feeling rebellious. Super Mario Brothers was more ‘family friendly’.

Donkey Kong Country made a big impact in part because it was a counter-culture game. The intro set the vibe of old man listening on the old player to old Donkey Kong music when the new Donkey Kong blasts in with his boombox. The tone was set: this game was for the new  generation. This was not your father’s Donkey Kong.

NOA and Nintendo must have been feeling pretty happy with their victory over the eeevil Sega. The analysts were, as always, disappointed that Nintendo was not doomed. Reporters could no longer talk about ‘Sega’s rise’ anymore.

But the victory was a pyrrhic one. During the 16-bit war, both combatants of Sega and Nintendo were being closely observed by another company. At the end of 1994, this company named Sony, released in Japan the console called ‘PlayStation’.

In the Sakamoto interview video on Nintendo’s E3 website, at the end Sakamoto says it has been many, many years since the last Metroid game was released on the home console.

Metroid Prime Trilogy was released only a year ago.

Metroid Prime 3 was released only three years ago.

So is Sakamoto losing his memory or is he intentionally referring to the Metroid Prime games as ‘not Metroid games’? It doesn’t matter. Either way, it is shocking that this was actually uploaded to Nintendo’s website for all to see. It is factually incorrect. And it makes Sakamoto look like a total snob or someone who is completely daft and forgot that three (four if you include Trilogy) Metroid games were released on the home console after Super Metroid.

I imagine the guys at Retro, who invested eight years of their lives into Metroid, would not be too happy being dissed like that. But in the end, Retro is going to have the last laugh. Here is why.

Super Metroid came out in August 1994. It sold OK for a little while. But when Donkey Kong Country appeared, everyone wanted to buy Donkey Kong Country. Soon, Super Metroid began appearing in bargain bins. I picked it up for $20 which was very cheap when cartridge games were at least $50 to $70 new. I also picked it up with Mystic Quest, that was right next to it, as that was in the bargain bins as well. Meanwhile Donkey Kong Country would eventually be bundled with the SNES hardware.

Sixteen years later, a Metroid claiming to be the heir to Super Metroid is being released in August. A Donkey Kong Country that is the heir to the original Donkey Kong Country is being released for this holiday. I expect history to repeat itself.

With one important difference… While Super Metroid was overlooked and pushed aside at the time, it grew in popularity as years went by. It was a very well made game. Sixteen years later, Super Metroid creates new Metroid fans. Current fans still eagerly replay Super Metroid.

I have seen Other M, and let me tell you: It ain’t no Super Metroid. It ain’t Metroid period.

While we don’t know whether Donkey Kong Country 4 will be New Donkey Kong Country, I expect it to be ‘closer to the target’ than Sakamoto’s Other M game is to Metroid. Retro’s game will end up being a hit, and Sakamoto’s game will end up as fail. Retro will get the last laugh.

But what about us, the poor consumers? Must we endure this mockery of Metroid? Well, there is something where a piece of entertainment becomes “so bad, that it is good” where we can entertain ourselves by relentlessly mocking it. For example, see below:

For those of you who do not remember, this is what Metroid is:

So looking forward after the wreckage that is Other M, how does Nintendo resurrect Metroid? 3d Metroid has been done to death, and there will be no excitement for future incarnations or spn-offs. The only thing in demand would be a 2d Metroid emulating Super Metroid for either the handheld or for the home console (both Fusion and Zero Mission did NOT emulate Super Metroid or Metroid very well at all. Blame Sakamoto).

A new home console Metroid would be great. Only one studio has the capability to do it. It would take a studio who knows how to make solid 2d platforming and proven ability to nail the ‘Metroid atmosphere’. That studio is Retro.

Super Metroid was ahead of its time. Its easy difficulty with the emphasis on atmosphere was not well received at its time, but is the current doorway where new Metroid fans appear from. When Nintendo is interested in resurrecting Metroid from its Sakamoto grave, a ‘remake’ of Super Metroid seems to be what will do the trick. Just how Super Metroid was like NES Metroid but bigger, badder, with more environments (like Maridia and Crateria), the Super Super Metroid would be bigger, badder, with more environments, and more ways to be awesome.

Perhaps a remake of Metroid 2 is in order. Since Metroid 2 is so old, so black and white, much liberty can be made with the game. The ‘linear’ structure of Metroid 2 can be completely removed. Only the premise of the game needs to remain: that Samus Aran arrives on SR-388 to exterminate all Metroids and the further down she goes, the more these Metroids have evolved. This would place the focus of the Metroid series away from Samus and back where it belongs: on Metroids. And such a game could have a richer and more exciting range of environments and settings than even Super Metroid had. Samus would be alone, of course, as it is the way how it should be.

Would it become the mass market seller like Mario 5? No. But it could sell better than Metroid Prime. And, more importantly, it would save the Metroid franchise from utter destruction.

Sakamoto should be kept away from the Metroid series from now on. And with Super Metroid 2, Retro can add to the Metroid 2 remake things that should have been in Super Metroid like the Spider Ball.

The game would sell for at least forty years.

But after the rubble that will be Other M, let us never forget how it happened and the fact that it didn’t have to happen.

Malstrom points to the sky.

“Remember!”

A lot of people have been emailing you about Zelda this week, but I want to email you about Metroid: Other M. And while you were sitting back in a comfy robe with a lit cigar, monitoring E3 at your leisure, I was really there (though if you did manage to sneak in, I’d have liked to meet you). I got to try out some of Nintendo’s bigger offerings at the event, and concerning Other M, you really hit the nail on the head.

Unfortunately I went into the demonstration already kind of hating Samus. This is because while waiting in line for the game, we had to stand by a television that looped the game’s opening story scenes over and over. Ones showing her encounter with Mother (time to go!), mulling around back at the base, and then answering a distress call in space. She just constantly narrates over all of it, and it sounds horrible. She sounds like a depressed teenager writing a diary, but she pretends it’s going to be a famous book someday. And the way she constantly refers to the Metroid as “the baby” is annoying as all get out. It’s as if they’re trying to make her say “baby” as much as possible. For example, the distress signal Samus picks up is called “baby’s cry” since, as she explains at length, “Baby’s cry. It’s a distress signal that indicates great urgency. It brings about the image of a baby crying in need. Baby’s cry…” Yeah thanks Samus, I think I figured that one out now.

What was really interesting about the Other M demo was the setup. Unlike the other game booths, this one had surround sound headphones to wear and dividers between the players. They really wanted to stress the immersion I guess. Admittedly, the actual gameplay was rather fun, if not a little too simple. With the new setup, the game has become more about shooting like crazy while trying not to run into enemies, since you usually get attacked by large groups of small fry, and your gun auto aims. The stage itself seemed pretty linear, though it’s like just because it’s the game’s opening area, and being a demo it just may be unfinished.

But oh man, then the cut scenes come back in. You stumble onto the galactic emissary crew or whoever, the group Samus was with before being let go and becoming a bounty hunter (I’m giving these details to build up to something in a little bit). Even when talking to people, cut scenes become huge Samus soliloquies. A guy will say one thing, and Samus will go off on a huge narration about it. The black guy comes up saying something like “Hey, remember me? Long time no see, princess.” And then we get to hear Samus narrate “There was only one man at the galactic federdation who would call me ‘princess,’ and that man was Anthony Higgs. Blah blah blah…” Then Adam comes up, Samus’ old boyfriend or whoever, who’s a complete prick of course, will just say “What are you doing here?” and we get another Samus narration “That’s just like how Adam would greet me, so cold and sterile. Blah blah blah blah blah…” What’s really funny is to think of how they’re all just standing around while she’s thinking of all of this.

Now here’s the great part. The amazingly advanced galactic federation guys can’t open a door, so Samus uses a missile to blow it open. Of course two-dimensional prick Adam gives Samus a dirty look over this before the crew leaves. And here it is. Once the game resumes, a message comes up saying “Samus has decided not to use missiles or bombs until Adam authorizes them.” What the hell!? I sure as hell didn’t decide that! Why is Samus telling me how to play the game? And furthermore, why does she care? She was let go of the galactic whoevers and became a bounty hunter. She should be able to use whatever weapons she wants. Moreover, I should be able to use whatever weapons I want! If I have missiles, I damn well want to use them! I don’t give a crap what Adam thinks of it.

Anyway, eventually you get to a boss battle, and this glorious. Cut scenes will actually interrupt the battle to tell you how to beat the boss. Since we’d all be too stupid to figure it out ourselves. They have to make sure they show that the other galactic crew will freeze segments of the boss for you to blow up with your missiles (which prick Adam decides to let you use). Of course then the boss battle becomes a big yawn, since it’s just doing basic actions over and over.

After the demo ended, the Nintendo rep asked me what I thought of it. And I have to give Nintendo credit, after playing their games the representatives asked you what you thought of them. They were especially interested in asking me about Zelda’s visual style, for example. Anyway, I told the guy the gameplay itself was pretty fun, but the cut scenes really dragged on and bogged things down. He paused for a second and I could tell he wasn’t expecting that, then he just said “Well, you gotta start somewhere.” I felt a little bad so I thanked him and went off.

But yeah, that was my Other M experience. The cut scenes really drag down what would otherwise be a decently fun action game. I dunno what it is, but between this and the new Kid Icarus, it seems like Nintendo has a hell of a time hiring good voice talent (besides Mario games of course, but then those are mere soundbytes for the most part). Despite hating the story scenes and voice acting, I think I’m still on the fence about it, since it has the potential to be a fun game regardless.

But it’s definitely no Metroid, that much is true.

It is the old saw of someone who thinks that just because he has game developer skills means he has story creation skills. I am not surprised the NOA staff seemed ‘surprised’. NOA staff once thought ‘User Generated Content’ would be ‘so entertaining’. Since Other M is a step above that (not much), they probably think it is the Greatest Thing Since Sliced Bread. From my undercover conversations with Nintendo staff, they suffer from the ‘Game God’ syndrome of literally looking at people like Sakamoto as walking geniuses. With Miyamoto, they might as well kneel on the floor and pray in his direction.

Can you imagine if I was there? “So Malstrom, what did you think of the demo of Other M?” I would have laughed so uproariously that everyone in that huge room would stop and look at my direction. And I would not stop laughing until I left the theater.

And as I left, all the Nintengirls would be following me with their 3DSes chained to them oblivious of their duties. Poor dears. I make such a presence that I’ve learned you cannot blame the ladies.

I’m a very big Metroid fan ever since the first game on the NES and I have been saddened by the direction the series is taking with Other M. Don’t get me wrong, the game play looks ok, nothing exciting for me at this point, but the cut scenes have worried me more some time. Those fears have gotten worse when I saw this video of one of the early cut scenes. http://digitalchumps.com/index.php?option=com_hwdvideoshare&task=viewvideo&Itemid=535&video_id=1120 that should get to the video, if not try this link http://digitalchumps.com/video-gallery/viewvideo/1120/wii/metroid-other-m-opening-video-sequence-shaky-cam.html The writing in this scene has no flow and tries too hard to create a softer side to Samus, but only comes off unnatural. I only hope the rest of the game isn’t like this, however; I have little hope for that.
What if I told you the best part was what you see in that video?

Would you cry?

I bet as the game goes further, more and more flashbacks will appear. It will turn into a Sailor Moon soap opera of young Samus and the other crappy characters. They already have the Tuxedo Mask character.And in the end, Samus Aran will become ‘the only one’. Nintendo is trying to sell Metroid to women. This is ‘feminized’ Metroid.

We shouldn’t even call her Samus Aran since this game is going to be as bad as a Sailor Moon episode. How about Samus Moon? That sounds more appropriate.

Best moment of E3 – Watching 100 babes march down the Nokia Theatre aisles with the 3DS and lining up to see it right after the conference ended. The 3D effect is simply stunning – deeper and sharper than anything you can get with glasses (no blurriness, no reduced brightness). Plus, with the way video game worlds are rendered, the 3D is analog in depth (fully rendered depth!) rather than just appearing as a fixed number of flat layers. This thing is going to not only destroy Sony’s PSP and 3D PS3 initiative, but the TV industry’s whole 3DTV push in general. I assume they’ll be smart enough to pair it with a Wii-like put-it-in-people’s-hands marketing scheme because you really need to see the 3D, but they won’t even need house parties to have a strong word of mouth since a portable system can be carried around and shown off anywhere.

The rest of the press conference was also great (especially DKC4) but I still find it hard to get excited about the Wii after having been disappointed by Nintendo mostly failing to live up to the original promise of 2006 with it (maybe the next Zelda will help with that aspect, at least).

2nd best moment of E3 – Going to the Sony conference *immediately* after seeing the 3DS for the first time, getting handed 3D glasses on the way in, and starting off watching comparatively lame 3D highlighted by Sony as if it were something special. Nintendo could not have had better timing there. Ruthless, indeed. That and the paid actor who would probably make a better VP than the real ones were the only highlights though, as I found myself dozing off for the second half.

Microsoft really, truly, isn’t even worth talking about. Well, one thing that I haven’t seen mentioned a lot – they’re releasing a Slim model, but keeping all the cost savings for themselves, and actually raising the price of entry from the $199 Arcade to the new $299 “Slim”. That seems like a bizarre move and they won’t get nearly the temporary sales boost that Sony has received from its Slim price cut combo last year. Plus they’ll probably have a new SKU in just a few months bundling in Kinect at an even more expensive price!

On a somewhat related note, I think the game industry is collectively stupid because there are far, far too many “enthusiasts” (people who want to do it) than there are people who are actually good at it. That would apply more to many of the studios and media rather than Microsoft and Sony though, who just don’t get it because they’re not actually video game companies at all.

I bolded the above. I have to wonder why anyone would want to go to E3. Last year, N’gai Croal was in a post E3 interview (it was so bad they sounded like Transformers) but one guy who didn’t go said something like, “I have to wonder, who the hell cares about any of this stuff?” I’m more interested in the business of it, but the idea of ‘this is important event’ is ridiculous. It is just a trade show.

What is interesting about Reggie’s ‘babe trick’, which is far more memorable than Microsoft’s circus and Kinect showings, is that the ‘babe trick’ didn’t cost Nintendo extra. They always pay for their Nintenbabes to show off the hardware. Only thing different was they made them walk out on the stage together.

If I was where you were at, and if I had one single question to ask Reggie Fils-Aime (and Satoru Iwata), I would ask:

“Can you tell me the reasons why 3DS is not overshooting the handheld audience? How is stereoscopic 3d performing a job the handheld market wants done?”

OK, that is two questions, but either would be good to ask. Naturally, if I was there asking questions to the Nintendo execs, it would be a nightmare to them. Those two questions above would be examples that would give them great trouble in answering.

Hello again, Mr. Malstrom.

Just like you suspected, Nintendo’s been saying that they’re focusing on MotionPlus software now in several E3 interviews. First you have Cammie Dunnaway on motion control competition:

“For us, motion is central to everything that we’ve done since the launch of the Wii, and obviously consumers have responded to motion. It’s been a big part of why Wii is now 5 million units ahead of where the PS2 was in this point of its life cycle. We’ve taken [motion control] to the next level with Wii MotionPlus. We understand that you have to have great and innovative technology, but it has to be paired with best-in-class game design. I think Zelda is the absolute definitive proof point. We’ve got a very large install base in the U.S. We’re close to 29 million units of Wii sold. Going into this holiday, a big part of our focus is to introduce all of this Wii owners to an amazing lineup of software. The Wii is an incredible value for $199… [it's] the kind of value and experiences that only Nintendo can offer. We’ve always said we wanted to have something for everyone, but this year I think we’ve really been able to bring that strategy to life.”

In other words, THIS holiday season it’s just “good games”. Next? Probably “good motion control/MotionPlus games”. Then you have Miyamoto…

IGN: “No problem. Now that you’ve established the next handheld generation, where do you see the Wii in, say, two years?”

Miyamoto: “I’m sure we’ll continue to see the Wii platform evolve, as it has over the years. Obviously our focus right now is on the Wii MotionPlus, and how we’re able to create gameplay with it that is very intuitive. So I think that we’ll continue to do that over the next couple of years. But that’s really all I can say about what’s coming.”

So there you have it. :)

Keep up the good work. Regards,

Mr. Reader

I spotted the Miyamoto line but haven’t caught up on my Dunway interviews. Perhaps it will be E3 2011 before we start to see such software.

Hi Malstrom,

I should add that the success of the game really demonstrates the importance of content.

There was so much content in that cartridge that it took us literally months, if not years, to unlock and experience it all.

We were still playing Goldeneye at least 7 years after it came out, which is probably almost-unheard-of in a console FPS except for the top ones.

I would go so far as to say that Goldeneye is the “Ultima” of console FPS. It was very clear that Rare cared about its user experience* – everything in the interface was designed to make you feel like James Bond, from the watch computer/menu, to the pulsating beats from the movie scores (seemingly all of the classic ones, which still hold up as MIDIs today!), to the briefing dossiers with special notes from Moneypenny. Perfect Dark took the immersion a step further by having the menu as a first-person experience of the headquarters of the agency you belong to.

If Mario was about feeling like Alice in Wonderland, and Zelda was about feeling as if you were in a Celtic myth, then Goldeneye was obviously about “feeling” as if you were James Bond (or Orumov, or Oddjob, or Jaws) and it was very effective.

Apparently, a lot of PC gamers feel the same way about “No-One Lives Forever,” a game similar in theme to Goldeneye, although I have never played it. But seemingly these games had something that the monochrome shooter clones of today lack.

*Goldeneye had so many features that people who played the game ten years ago are hearing about them from others and returning to check the game. For example, it had a widescreen option (in 1997!) and even a dual-analog-stick mode (which some people improvised into multiplayer co-op!)

I’ll take your word on it. The question is whether the sequel can do justice to the original Goldeneye. I am not worried about DKC 4 because Retro does a good job (and if they do not, I am near enough to them where I can go over and steal their Atomic Fireballs).