By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Well, his take on ethics was so naive I almost started laughing. And I even agree with him in some points. "Non-customers demanding what is ethical for customers" is quite true and I agree with him here.

But that was not really what the emailer wanted to know. Going by this logic you can easily come to the conclusion that bullfights are ethically ok because people pay for them. Yes, he is only reffering to products but still... it is quite easy to take this a step further.

The emailer was talking about the responsibility of the producer. And Malstrom didn't address this at all. The producer does have a responsibility. If someone sells guns and people use them to kill each other he is to a certain extend responsible for that. Just like a politician is responsible for his actions ("but YOU voted for me" is not an excuse). I know Malstroms logic makes sense but that doesn't make it right. It's the logic that brought us the current economic crisis, really.

And he actually thinks marketing isn't "brainwashing" people? How cute is that! That's like saying marketing doesn't influence people's behaviour, which it clearly does. Look at these very forums and tell me marketing can't brainwash people.

Around the Network

"And he actually thinks marketing isn't "brainwashing" people? How cute is that! That's like saying marketing doesn't influence people's behaviour, which it clearly does. Look at these very forums and tell me marketing can't brainwash people. "

He's saying the mainstream isn't that dumb. He's actually stated the gaming enthusiasts are swept up in hype more easily.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

LordTheNightKnight said:
"And he actually thinks marketing isn't "brainwashing" people? How cute is that! That's like saying marketing doesn't influence people's behaviour, which it clearly does. Look at these very forums and tell me marketing can't brainwash people. "

He's saying the mainstream isn't that dumb. He's actually stated the gaming enthusiasts are swept up in hype more easily.

It's not about being dumb. Media can be used to manipulate people. There are dozens of studies that prove that. It's how the human mind works, we're thinking in groups. So if a product, idea or person has a positive imagine people will buy into it. Marketing doesn't only tell you that the product "is there", it wants to influence your view on the product. You just need to hear an opinion often enough and you'll believe it yourself.

Just look how many people believe every single word Malstrom says or how even people who don't like him act like disruption is the only thing that matters in business - why? Because Malstrom sounds convincing. That's all. They've never read a book about it. But Malstrom sounds convincing so they believe it.

Why are British people so eurosceptic while Frenchs and Germans are so positive about Europe? Because British people are "different"? Nope, it's because the media in Britain is way more eurosceptic than the media in mainland Europe. In a poll among those Britains who have a bad image of Europe more than 2/3 answered they know "very little or nothing" about the European Union. All they had was the media and they trusted the "public opinion".

If Malstrom is right about Cigarettes why does the number of smokers decrease considerably in the countries that start educational campaigns about smoking? I thought customers weren't so dumb and knew smoking was bad but they did it anyways? I think it has more to do with the fact that the tobacco industry was able to change public opinion by showing TV ads in which cool people were being cool by smoking cool cigarettes.

Why do a lot of Americans think a Health Care reform that will save them billions of dollars is bad and threatens their freedom? Because they are all political experts? Nope, because of the media and the tea parties. Because they think public opinion says so.

I could go on like that (it's quite a lot of fun to be honest) but it's a fact that the media influences our opinion and changes public perception. That's why it exists. If advertisment was only telling us that a product exists then that would also apply to political views and other things. For hundreds of years media was used by mighty people to manipulate the public opinion and keep people under control.

Just to be clear: I'm not saying Malstrom is dumb, or the English are wrong or cigarettes should be banned or the Health Care reform should be accepted. But what Malstrom says is exactly what caused this economic crisis - businessmen being unwilling to consider ethics in their actions. I actually have a very positive view of free market economy and the ability to advertise one's products and I even agree with Malstrom to a certain extend. But this very aspect is extremely important in my opinion and I think Malstrom is a bit too fast with his positive judgement: Without rules and without businessmen (who are a corner stone of our economic and political achievements) being constantly reminded that they are responsible for whatever they do these corner stones will start to crumble really fast.

And I still think you're doing a great job by stopping people from saying stupid things just because they want "their" console to win :-p Keep it up!

I don't think he's stating businessmen don't have to accept ethics, but why don't you ask him and get the answer from the horse's mouth.

And don't act like we just follow him because he sounds convincing. For me, you don't know what I've experienced or heard before I even knew of the guy.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

LordTheNightKnight said:
I don't think he's stating businessmen don't have to accept ethics, but why don't you ask him and get the answer from the horse's mouth.

And don't act like we just follow him because he sounds convincing. For me, you don't know what I've experienced or heard before I even knew of the guy.

I guess I could ask him. But this is more about political views and we wouldn't agree anyways.

Oh and I wasn't talking about you in my post. Neither do I think people are just followers of him. But without Malstrom nobody would talk about disruption when it comes to gaming. I just used it as an example to show how easy it is to affect people's opinions. I don't think people are "silly" for believing in someone who sounds convincing, btw. It's human nature. I just wanted to point it out. I didn't want to offend you or anyone else.

Around the Network

"The typical engineering definition of quality is something that is hard to do, is complicated, and costs a lot of money! But that isn’t quality; it’s incompetence."

Something tells me he has never met an engineer his entire life.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

theRepublic said:
"The typical engineering definition of quality is something that is hard to do, is complicated, and costs a lot of money! But that isn’t quality; it’s incompetence."

Probably has never written a line of code either.....

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

theRepublic said:

I know engineers who would beat tthe Hell out of me for saying that kind of thing.

Khuutra said:
theRepublic said:

I know engineers who would beat tthe Hell out of me for saying that kind of thing.

I'm one of them.  

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Khuutra, I´d love to see you enter a debate with Malstrom himself...you´ve got pretty good debate skills.