By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Can you (Alby) show me some examples of certainties given by Malstrom? I've just not noticed them when reading his articles as I find them very interesting and overall pretty accurate about what is happening. Perhaps I miss this due to focussing on the majority of what he is saying being on the mark.

Yes.

www.spacemag.org - contribute your stuff... satire, comics, ideas, debate, stupidy stupid etc.

Around the Network
bazmeistergen said:
Can you (Alby) show me some examples of certainties given by Malstrom? I've just not noticed them when reading his articles as I find them very interesting and overall pretty accurate about what is happening. Perhaps I miss this due to focussing on the majority of what he is saying being on the mark.

He writes that the disruptor always wins, or, more precisely, that Nintendo will win and disrupt Sony because Sony keeps on behaving like an incumbent and this, in Malstrom's opinion, automatically means defeat, while Christensen actually writes that the disruptor has high probabilities to win because the incumbent, very often, hasn't an adequate and sufficient reaction and the effectiveness of the most conservative reactions is very often limited compared to the scale of disruption. Christensen does neither exclude totally the possibility that the incumbent adopts disruptive behaviour on its turn, nor that staying incumbent its conservative reactions can be effective, he simply writes that there are many factors that oppose resistance to the first option and that the second option has scarce, but not nonexistent, probabilities of succeeding. I'm surprised that nobody notices that what Malstrom and Christensen write are actually quite different from each other, because reading directly what Christensen writes instead of indirectly, quoted or mentioned by Malstrom, the thing is very evident. Malstrom has the habit of stretching what Christensen writes.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Alby_da_Wolf said:
bazmeistergen said:

He writes that the disruptor always wins, or, more precisely, that Nintendo will win and disrupt Sony because Sony keeps on behaving like an incumbent and this, in Malstrom's opinion, automatically means defeat, while Christensen actually writes that the disruptor has high probabilities to win because the incumbent, very often, hasn't an adequate and sufficient reaction and the effectiveness of the most conservative reactions is very often limited compared to the scale of disruption. Christensen does neither exclude totally the possibility that the incumbent adopts disruptive behaviour on its turn, nor that staying incumbent its conservative reactions can be effective, he simply writes that there are many factors that oppose resistance to the first option and that the second option has scarce, but not nonexistent, probabilities of succeeding. I'm surprised that nobody notices that what Malstrom and Christensen write are actually quite different from each other, because reading directly what Christensen writes instead of indirectly, quoted or mentioned by Malstrom, the thing is very evident. Malstrom has the habit of stretching what Christensen writes.

Why would you ever ask Wolfy here about disruption? He doesn't get it. Note that Malstrom always quotes what Christensen is talking about and has write articles on what is going on, using Christensen's own words. I have never seen Wolfy here quote him but say stuff off hand. For all you know, he could be making it up.

What Christensen actually says is that the disruptor will not be able to stand unless it has a sword (unique quality of the disruptor) and a sheild (their motivation). With out both, the disruptor can never cut upmarket. Nintendo has both a sword (being a hardware and software copany) and a sheild (expanding gaming). Becuase of this, Sony and Microsoft can not stop Nintendo.

Malstrom wrote two articles on this. Find them here

sethhearthstone said:

I don't know about you guys, but after reading Sean dishing it out to stereoscopic gaming on PS3, I'm really looking forward to watching him gulp down some refreshing glasses of 3DS Koolaid.  This is going to be a real treat!

Did you actually look at what he wrote about the new system? He said 3D was not going to be the selling point, and that it's likely a ruse.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Smashchu2 said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
bazmeistergen said:

Why would you ever ask Wolfy here about disruption? He doesn't get it. Note that Malstrom always quotes what Christensen is talking about and has write articles on what is going on, using Christensen's own words. I have never seen Wolfy here quote him but say stuff off hand. For all you know, he could be making it up.

What Christensen actually says is that the disruptor will not be able to stand unless it has a sword (unique quality of the disruptor) and a sheild (their motivation). With out both, the disruptor can never cut upmarket. Nintendo has both a sword (being a hardware and software copany) and a sheild (expanding gaming). Becuase of this, Sony and Microsoft can not stop Nintendo.

You fail again. I already linked Christensen's article twice. There won't be a third time. About the rest, we understand different things reading either Malstrom or Christensen and we both won't change our minds, so it's pointless to keep on discussing. But about that allegory of Nintendo having sword and shield, what if Sony and MS have a gun and a kevlar jacket?

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network
Smashchu2 said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
bazmeistergen said:

Thanks. Well I was asking him to show me rather than tell me and thus he has done what you said he does. That is, not quoting directly. No worries on that front; I'm a poor, old history teacher and look for actual evidence rather than assertion.

Yes.

www.spacemag.org - contribute your stuff... satire, comics, ideas, debate, stupidy stupid etc.

LordTheNightKnight said:
sethhearthstone said:

I don't know about you guys, but after reading Sean dishing it out to stereoscopic gaming on PS3, I'm really looking forward to watching him gulp down some refreshing glasses of 3DS Koolaid.  This is going to be a real treat!

Did you actually look at what he wrote about the new system? He said 3D was not going to be the selling point, and that it's likely a ruse.

Sorry, you're too late!  Sean has just now declared the 3DS disruptive, without knowing anything else about it!  If you haven't noticed, Sean actually went through the stages of grief: Denial, bargaining, and now acceptance.  This is bigger than the hardcore embracing motion control, that took months.  Sean switched his stance in mere hours!  Look at him slurping up that 3D Koolaid.  Dude must have been parched!

bazmeistergen said:
Smashchu2 said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
bazmeistergen said:

Thanks. Well I was asking him to show me rather than tell me and thus he has done what you said he does. That is, not quoting directly. No worries on that front; I'm a poor, old history teacher and look for actual evidence rather than assertion.

Oh sorry, I linked Christensen twice, answering other people, but I didn't answering to you: here http://www.forbes.com/2007/08/01/sony-games-innovation-lead-cz_cc_0802christensen.html. Using the link given by Smashchu2 you can find the relevant articles by Malstrom and compare what Malstrom writes to what Christensen writes.

“Endgame” is coming…

I was about to make another post on 3DS when the post kept growing and growing and becoming more and more interesting. 3DS, I believe, has filled in the last piece of the puzzle that is Nintendo for me. The 3DS is, very much so, disruptive. While the 3DS may appear shockingly different from what one might expect Nintendo to do, the 3DS is as natural follow-up to the Wii as the SNES would be to the NES. “And how exactly can you explain that!?” Wait for the article, impatient reader, and you will see.

It has been a while since I have written a new article. There are reasons for this. After writing about the shield and sword of disruption, the asymmetries that will prevent the Wii from being counterattacked and will allow it to continue goring the competition, all I could do is just wait for Microsft and Sony’s response. And now that they have responded, well, who wants to write about that? I would rather stare at this wall that stands next to my computer. It is a fascinating wall… but everything is fascinating compared to the tepid response of the Nintendo competitors.

And poor, poor Natal. Does anyone care about Natal now? Microsoft executives (those marketing dorks) actually believe Xbox 360 has a ‘perfect storm’ this holiday. After all, they have a new Halo, they have Natal, and they likely have a new slim model coming out. But aside from the Halo diehards, does anyone care about Natal anymore? At E3 2010, are you going to be rushing to learn more about Natal and creepy Milo kid or are you going to want to find out how Nintendo is starting the Eighth Generation of Video Game Consoles with their 3d? And Sony seems poised to show off tons of 3d too.

Microsoft: “We have Natal! And Yet Another Halo! Oh, and a new Xbox 360 model! This one finally doesn’t overheat!” YAWN.

There hasn’t been anything going on in the consoles to warrant another article. But with 3DS, there is now one. It will be titled “Endgame” and will be the bookshelf end of the Disruption Chronicles. Whether or not other articles will appear in the middle, I do not know. It has to be endgame because the successor to the DS starts the eighth generation. I will not continue past the seventh. And with Natal and Move being highly probable to collapse as soon as they come out of the gates, we can declare the Wii disruption a total and absolute victory.

In the year 2006, it was said Nintendo cannot compete on the same battlefield as Microsoft and Sony.

In the year 2010, it is now said that Microsoft and Sony cannot compete on the same battlefield as Nintendo. The battlefield has been completely flipped around in a few short years.

This is business jujitsu.

And it is why I made this site in the first place… to learn this jujitsu. This blog site will likely cease sometime after E3 2010. There will be some new articles flowing out, but that will come to a stop soon.

I’ve been writing about Nintendo’s business side for almost four years. It is time to go.

Is Malstrom really going to stop writing about the game business? I can't believe that! ¬¬