By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

I'm skipping the Pokemon article because a) I really don't want to post spam so I won't post everything on the site, and b) his answer is pretty short. He doesn't play it, although he knows why it's a hit, he just wants to focus on why the Wii is a hit and how Nintendo is distrupting the industry while the industry is falling apart. Pokemon is its own thing, different from that.

As for this article, I was thinking of something similar, call it Wii Knights. Nintendo, you can use that name. It would be awesome.

Also, the Kotick line shows what is wrong with the industry. They think throwing money at a game is the key (lazy way of thinking as that assumes games are just the expensive things, and not bothering with good design improvement).

Email: WoW has stopped growing…

So I came across this article:

So according to statistics, as of recently it appears WoW has had a decline in new players as well as the fact that many don’t get past lvl 10 and I can almost see what this happens.  I know a lot of people who tried the free 10 day trial but got tired really fast because it felt repetitive and I’ll agree that when I started playing, at the beginning I didn’t see what the big deal was, however as the article states if you can get past lvl 10 then a lot opens up to you, such as the first battlefield, plus you can get out of the starting areas and reallly explore the world and usually by level 10 you’ve found yourself a guild. As you pointed out, it’s the social aspect that keeps people coming back.

But there’s no denying the number of new players coming in is shrinking.  When I started my first character, a night elf, Darnasuss was full of people running all over the place.  I actually had to wait in line to complete this one quest cause so many were gathered around the guy but a few months later I made a new toon and the starting area was barren and for new people starting out can be hard.  Sure there’s tons of people wandering around Stormwind and Origimarr but it’s getting harder and harder to find lower level people and the lower level people you do find are usually someone’s 2nd, 3rd or even 4th toons who can have access to better gear because their first toons just mail money to them.  I could see this being very frustrating for new WoW players.  Hence the market is ripe for a new MMO to get these players.  A new MMO means a lot of new people at the same level then again we’ve seen a lot of WoW knockoffs shut down servers after only a year or so (Tabula Rasa anyone?)

Also there’s the lack of new content for lower level players, however it appears that Cataclysm is the right game at the right time.  The first two expansions didn’t offer much for lower players.  Burning Crusade had two new races with respective starting areas and a couple new quests but most of Litch King’s content was for lvl 60+ but Cataclysm is almost a sequel when you think about it as it’s going to alter ALL of Azeroth so we’ll see if this brings in new players.

Also I’ve talked to a few people who were interested in trying WoW but decided with that new expansion coming out to hold off until it drops so they don’t have to adjust to a whole new setting after getting started so this might be a breif drop while waiting for Cataclysm.

I said earlier how WoW is ready to be gored. However, what will replace WoW is not a MMORPG. What will replace WoW will be smaller *friendship* RPGs.

What is a *friendship* RPG? It is a word I just made up. A *friendship* RPG is a RPG where the people are friends or companions in real life and go through the game. It is not a co-op RPG because that implies meeting someone randomly on the Internet. *Friendship* RPGs is far more personal, something you would play with your house mates or with your buddies or with your girlfriend or wife.

There is a huge lack of ‘couple’ games out there on the market. How many games can you point to and say, “A man and wife can play that together!” or “Friends and I can get together and play that”? Not too many. Oddly enough, the games that do fit this are the best sellers today: Wii Sports, NSMB Wii, and games like World of Warcraft. A couple tends to look for games to play together. You can only play WoW for so long. Then, they ask, “What other games are there for couples?” And then they don’t find any.

Before the Wii came out, there was a high degree of stigma concerning game consoles such as the PS2 (despite how successful there were). There is huge, massive, stigma surrounding WoW, and I believe it is choking off new customers and driving current customers away. A WoW player is someone you feel sorry for today. Everyone looks down on people who play WoW. It has gotten so bad that some businesses will not hire you if you play WoW.

This opens the door for a disruptor of some kind. WoW is ready to be gored. I expect the disurptor to come from the bottom with fewer features and services. But it will be *enough*. And the game won’t be such a time sink as WoW is. I believe the game that will gore WoW will be those *friendship* RPGs. Husband and wife, boyfriend and girlfriend, house mates, friends, are all currently looking for a game that offers a WoW experience without the WoW, without the stigma and bad things that is WoW.

Why do people play WoW in the first place? Looking at behavior, we find that people play WoW primarily to play a game together with friends. Not too many play the game to meet strangers. So why need a MMORPG at all? Why not do a smaller RPG that has all of those ‘friend’ elements that cause people to play WoW? Sure, you could also include some of the MMORPG elements like the auction house. But the party raids would be primarily with your group of friends in a huge rich world.

So to summarize:

Signs that WoW is ripe to be gored is…

1) Stigma- Prior to the Wii explosion was the heavy stigma on the traditional consoles. Stigma points that something is not going right.

2) Stagnant growth

Why I believe smaller *friendship* RPGs will gore WoW..

1) Matches behavior of most WoW players- Most WoW players don’t run around the world trying to meet people. Everyone tends to hang out with their friends.

2) RPG players already trying to play in a friendship way- The Monster Hunter phenomenon in Japan, for example, is many players getting together to play together.

3) Gamers are gravitating toward ‘friendship’ type of play. The entire Wii explosion was social in nature. NSMB Wii is very much a friendship type of game. And then you have Wii Sports and other games.

I believe most WoW players actually detest the MMORPG. The so-called ‘community’ on WoW is absolutely awful. I can see why people huddle off into their own groups.

People want to play games to connect to one another. WoW is disconnecting people from their real lives. And this is creating the stigma. This is why I think a Social RPG would be welcomed, despite it having less features than a MMORPG, because the game won’t try to take over your life.

King Kotick thinks no one can ever touch WoW because it would cost a fortune to make a *better* game. But what will gore WoW won’t be a *better* product in a traditional sense. It will be a white space around WoW. It will come from the lower end. King Kutaragi thought no one could touch the PS3 for the same reasons.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

Isn't it sad that Fox News shoots up in the ratings with very little actual news (the political side is irrelevant, as left wing people that are like that piss me off just as much*)? That's what happens when the actual news is presented so poorly people flock to the tabloid version as well as the sources he mentions, and thus creating the situation he is discussing here.

* But oddly not Micheal Moore. I'm indifferent to him.

The Game Industry will follow the path of the Newspaper Industry

Once upon a time, newspapers and television news were the main ways to get news. Then, alternative media came upon the scene in the form of the Internet and other forms such as the revival of radio news and commentary. The “News Industry”, at the time, scoffed and laughed the alternative media. As the alternative media grew and grew, the News Industry just kept dismissing them. You could find no serious analysis of alternative media from the “News Industry”. But then the financial pillars of News Media, its advertising, began to be drained away turning the News Media into an extremely unprofitable business.

The pattern of disruption is clear. The disruptor appears on stage and is laughed at and ignored. The customers the disruptor serves are considered ‘crappy customers’ and not worthy to be considered. This is what was directed at people who got their news from the Internet or anywhere else other than the “News Industry”. The disruptor grows and grows and this, too, is ignored. It becomes clear that the “News Industry” is going to have to incorporate some of what the alternative media is doing. So newspapers begin going onto the web and try to begin starting business models there. Some of them work. But they are not fast enough. The bottom soon falls out of the Core Market and the Expanded Market, what was the alternative media, then takes its place as the new Core Market.

In gaming, we are watching this same pattern occur. While DS and Wii are not the only symptoms of this gaming disruption, they are certainly the flagships. When the Wii appeared, it was ignored, called a fad, and it was laughed at. People who only bought a Wii were dehumanized as ‘casuals’ as if they were not real gamers. And the Wii would grow and grow. The Expanded Market would grow and grow while the Core Market would remain largely stagnant. And right on cue, the “Game Industry” realizes it needs to adapt of whatever the Wii is doing. So here comes the motion controls bolted on to their systems (with only Natal appearing to attempt to do a full co-opting). “Game Industry” thinks that the future is bright, that those motion controls plus some ‘casual games’ and they are set.

But the next stage to occur is the bottom to fall out of the Core Market. And we are seeing early signs of this of the value of Next Gen games plunging (just compare the average used game prices at a nearby store). And like newspapers, the “Game Industry” is calling for ‘new business models’ and are in complete denial that the majority of people do not believe their Next Gen games are good in quality.

So if the parallels continue, this is what we will see next:

-More and more closings of game companies everywhere. Less games will be made.
-Constant chatter of ‘new business models’. This chatter will soon turn into a frantic rush.
-Believe it or not, the “Game Industry” will turn on its customers and begin to launch propaganda or sophistry campaigns against them. “DLC is wonderful. Learn to love the DLC!”
-Members of the “Game Industry” will shriek like banshees when anyone points out that the decline is due to a decline in quality. “IT’S THE BUSINESS MODEL!!!! WHY CAN’T YOU UNDERSTAND THAT!??? STOP BEING SO IGNORANT!!!” will be their response.
-Without sound or fury, the Expanded Audience will take its place as the new Core Market at the end of this generation. If you cannot sell to the Expanded Audience, you might as well consider your business over.
-At the end of this generation, Next Generation will have fizzled and gotten ripped to pieces. New Generation becomes the standard for all gaming. The following generation will be based off of New Generation. People will look at the HD consoles like we look at the Atari 7800.

Gaming has had this process before. It occurred in the 80s. The Core Market was the computer gamers. The audience who couldn’t exactly play these computer games were children and families. The NES sold primarily due to children and families. And the NES never stopped growing until at the end of its generation as more competitors jumped in. What was computer gaming on the dedicated computer game machines (such as the Commodore 64) all went belly up as the NES and following game consoles disrupted them.

As I try to tell people, when the NES was on the market that it was constantly attacked by analysts, by Core gamers, and even the United States Congress (“Japanese console was going to brainwash American children!”). Analyst kept saying the NES had its last good year. Third parties held out on the NES (EA is a good illustration of this). NES was an 8-bit machine competing against 16-bit computers. So the “Game Industry” at the time hated the NES as well as game developers. And these 8-bit Japanese games were cleaning their clocks.

So look at the latest Bonus Round where you have clowns like Rubin say we must have a new ‘business model’. Pachter hilariously says that games are the only replayable form of entertainment (home movies, home TV shows, all books, all music, etc. etc. are all replayable). I’m laughing at how all the gamers who are horrified at what Rubin is saying were the same people last week praising how wonderful he was. But I knew it was coming because Rubin, last week, declared: “Our customers are happy with our games! No question about it, we are delivering a great consumer experience.” This is where he going wrong at. And this is exactly the constant denial newspapers made in that “everyone loves our product!” as subscriptions declined more and more.

If people loved Industry games so much, then they should hold their value longer at the used game store. If people loved Industry games so much, they should still be costing their full price years later while still selling well. Companies like Nintendo and Blizzard can do this. Why can’t they?

People like to try to paint Nintendo or Blizzard as some sort of Super Duper Companies. But they are actually normal companies. Everyone else really is mediocre. In the gaming business, there has been a huge fall in quality which has been followed by lowering the standard of quality. The Industry is deluding itself.

Around fifteen, more or less, years ago, a company like Blizzard had some very awesome games like Warcraft 2 or Starcraft. And gamers today all agree those games are VERY AWESOME. Yet, at the time, these games were not alone in their quality. Considered an equal to Blizzard was Westwood with their fantastic Command and Conquer and Red Alert games. Also considered an equal was the Age of Empires game. And perhaps not seen as equal but also seen as high quality were games like Total Annihilation or Dark Reign. Today, all there is left is really Blizzard as the other companies crumbled or were drained of their souls by the vampiric “Industry”.

My point is to say that companies like Blizzard are not on some higher plane of quality existence but that the quality that is Blizzard used to be considered NORMAL. Today, that quality is said to be ABNORMAL.

And look at Nintendo! Nintendo’s quality, today said to be uncommon, used to be very common back in the day. What really pushed Nintendo hardware was the Super Mario Brothers games and Zelda games (those were considered abnormally good back then). However, outside of that, Nintendo’s games were considered average.

Other companies were giving Nintendo a run for their money. Capcom had games like Mega Man, Ducktales and the other Disney games, and Street Fighter 2 really floored everyone. Konami had games like Contra and Gradius/Life Force. Sega was competing with Nintendo software head to head with quality games like Sonic. Hudson was really doing amazing stuff with software on their Turbographx-16. SNK was doing great things. And in the arcades, game companies were doing some amazing things.

One of the fatal mistakes people in the Industry are making is assuming that people gravitating to games made by Nintendo or Blizzard are fanboys of either company. There has been a quality collapse. The Old School Gamers have been saying this for decades. Why has there been a quality collapse? It is because of the “Industry” mindset. Give a healthy franchise to the “Industry” and watch them drive it to the ground within a few years.

There is only one way to save gaming is that the Industry must be destroyed. It is this Industry mindset that is polluting and destroying entire game series. Gamers are worse off than ever because of the ‘Industry’.

As a medium, gaming has two choices. It can either choose to dissemble the ‘Industry’ on its own, piece by piece, and transform their businesses with new values (Nintendo did this to themselves around earlier in the decade), or they are going to see the market dissemble the ‘Industry’ on its own.

Either way, the “Game Industry” as we know it will cease to exist. The market will destroy it. The question is whether there are some minds up in high places who understand this and will dissemble their ‘Industry’ from their companies within time. The clock is ticking.

But I expect most companies to choose not to dissemble because it feels good to ignore the upcoming collapse of the Core Market. And I expect this because the decision makers in the “Game Industry” are so supremely arrogant that they literally believe they are ‘business geniuses’. Remember Kutaragi. Remember Kutaragi.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

First, "The Game Industry will follow the path of the Newspaper Industry" is awesome. It's scary as you can see some of that now.

Also, what was "Wii Knights" about.

Smashchu2 said:
First, "The Game Industry will follow the path of the Newspaper Industry" is awesome. It's scary as you can see some of that now.

Also, what was "Wii Knights" about.

"As for this article, I was thinking of something similar"

As in it was just something in my head. I pictured a bunch of Miis running around a Middle Earth-like land, and it would be a more personal experience than typical MMORPGs.

Wizard: "Let's storm the castle!"

Nobility Knight: "I'll bring my vassals if you return my lawnmower."

Wizard: "Okay, fine. If we can finally get this ogre lord."

Why did Iwata say what he did concerning the i-Pad?

Over the years, I’ve enjoyed reading people like Daniel Eran Dilger (of Roughly Drafted) since he provided useful information about the computer industry and, especially, Apple. But he couldn’t be more wrong about Nintendo. Worse, this campaign of defense of the i-pad, a product that certainly disappointed in its unveiling in comparison to products like the i-Phone, really brings home the charge that has been made against Dilger that he is a marketer for Apple or just a die-hard Apple fanboy. You can be a fan of a company and not like or incessantly defend everything they do.

Apparently, Dilger hurt his hand so he is making YouTube videos for his articles (don’t worry. Malstrom will never inflict you with home made videos). So I started listening to the first one, and I was spitting my drink out when listening to it. How ridiculous can one get?

I have gotten many emails asking about whether the i-Pad is disruptive and how effective of a product it is. I am postponing those thoughts to another post. This post will just be about Iwata’s reaction to it and why he had his reaction.

Dilger makes the most incredible statement: if you were not impressed with the i-Pad, you are not intelligent. And if you are intelligent and were not impressed with the i-pad, you had financial reasons not to be impressed. Now, does this make any sense? Not everyone is going to love every product Apple makes.

Dilger then leads off that to say that the President of Nintendo was not impressed with the i-Pad because he has reasons to not be impressed: he is scared of the i-Pad being a gaming powerhouse. I then proceeded to spit out my drink at that moment. In the youtube comments, a critic wrote this:

I’d rather carry around an ipod touch (that does the SAME thing and fits in my pocket,)then an ipad. 

PSA: How are you going to compare an ipad to a portable gaming device such as the DS?

A little kid isn’t going to carry around a giant ipod touch in his pocket.

You sir, FAIL.

Now, this is the typical very direct response you get from gamers. I love the no BS and fiery passion of the gamer. Dilger responds to this comment three times (!). What did he say? Let us listen:

Actually no, it does not do the same thing as the iPod touch. Haven’t you looked at it?

And check out the extended games developers demoed after a couple weeks to mock something up. It you’re not impressed, you’re just not very intelligent.

What the hell type of response is that last line? If you don’t like the Apple product then you are just not very intelligent? WTF?

Microsoft and Sony are trying to keep gamers interested in the same thing with more polygons in each new generation of hardware. And lately, they’re chasing Nintendo’s motion controller (belatedly).

Imagine what a $500 touch panel (that will eventually get cheaper, just like the Xbox and PS3) will allow in gaming. This has the potential to be a blockbuster game system.

No. Just because an electronic device can run games does not make it a “game system”. A “game system” is designed for the core purpose of gaming. And a $500 system is dead on arrival as a ‘game system’. Not even the PS3 with all the hype in the world could sell at that price. And since gaming is a momentum business, if you don’t get momentum earlier on it is unlikely the hardware ever will.

The kids will be carrying an iPad for school anyway, so the idea that they’ll want or need a thick DS (or DSi XL lulz!) in their pocket rather than an iPad in their backpack is a bit foolish.

Apple fans have a strange fixation on the DS and enter bizarro world. In the above statement, in order for kids to carry a $500 iPad for school, it is going to be years before it becomes cheap enough for kids. The DS is nearing six years old as a system. DS will be, what, seven years old, eight years old, nine years old before the iPad really drops in price?

It is pretty easy for a brand new technological gadget to compete, hardware wise, to a cheap entertainment device that is over half a decade old. But the fact that Dilger is straining the iPad vs. DS by pretending the DS will remain exactly the same, that Nintendo will put out no new hardware for years, while the iPad keeps lowering its price, shows just what a laugh the iPad is for gaming. The iPad should blow away the DS as the DS is already very old (in gaming terms). The fact that it doesn’t reveals how weak the iPad is on the gaming level. Gamers are not going to gravitate toward a button-less interface. The lack of enthusiasm for Natal shows this. The lack of gamers accepting the iPhone as their dominant handheld gaming medium shows this.

But about the Iwata comments “Iwata said he was disappointed with the iPad because he is scared of it”.

First of all, Iwata was asked by reporters about his reaction to the iPad. Iwata did not jump up onto a soapbox. Second, Iwata’s opinion wasn’t any different than most people’s reactions. Go to any comments section, and people will admit they agree with Iwata’s reaction.

There is another element as to why Iwata revealed what he did. You know what Iwata’s nightmare is? It is when he is announcing the successor to the DS or Wii and he receives the same exact response as the iPad did. The possibility of that probably keeps Iwata up at night.

Iwata is not responding to the iPad as a consumer. While Iwata is an Apple consumer, he is also President of Nintendo and this changes his perspective. Iwata is not an employee. He is a decision maker. As movers and shakers know, the personality of the employee is radically different from the decision makers at the top.

Iwata is not responding to the iPad as a competitor. Iwata does not even see Apple as a competitor or else he wouldn’t carry Apple products with him in public. People predicted that handheld gaming would be destroyed because of cell phone games. Yet, the DS still sells in massive numbers. Even though that number is slightly down lately, it is still massive numbers and still way ahead of the norm. And there hasn’t been any killer apps for the DS in a while either. And the DS, unlike the Apple products, have not received a price cut in half a decade. That is considered unprecedented.

Iwata is responding to Apple’s announcement of the iPad more as a colleague. Or a better way to put it, Iwata doesn’t look at the Apple announcement as a member of the audience. He is looking at it as if he was the Steve Jobs on stage. This is natural since Iwata, himself, has to go on stage and present products in a similar fashion. The companies of Apple and Nintendo are more similar than they differ.

Iwata’s biggest fear is to reveal the new product and have a tepid and apathetic response. The “It’s just a bigger Ipod Touch” is exactly the same line of thinking why Nintendo won’t put out a Wii HD.

What is the Wii HD? It is just a bigger Wii. There is no other difference to it. Would a Wii HD get people excited? The answer is no. If Nintendo made a Wii HD, the consumer response would be identical to the iPad. The market would give a huge ‘meh’.

Iwata’s job is to make sure the market doesn’t go ‘meh’. He is looking at the i-Pad as what not to do. He is not looking at it in any sort of fear of competitor.

And in order for Apple to be taken seriously as a game hardware company, Apple must buy or absorb game companies as Microsoft and Sony has done. Apple hasn’t done this.

In order to compete with Nintendo, Apple needs to make a handheld console, not a handheld computer.

Around the Network

Email: Industry makes excuses for Nintendo again

Hello, Malstrom! I thought you might get as good a laugh from this
“analyst report” as I did:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/27247/Analysis_Nintendos_Evergreens_Keep_Getting_Greener.php

I was hoping against reason that they would finally, so many years in,
at least TRY and make some effort to say what was clearly obvious
about these Nintendo evergreen titles, but obviously they did no such
thing. They simply refuse to state the obvious: that the third party
software just doesn’t compare with Nintendo’s, and they are ready to
blame and make an excuse out of anything and everything to prevent
them from saying that. It’s absolutely ludicrous, hilarious, and
simultaneously incredibly sad to see a comparison of “Just Dance” and
“Lego Star Wars” to Mario 5 and Wii Resorts Resort. Are they joking?
How is it possible to make such a claim with a straight face? They
then go on to say that third parties need to have, in order:

(1) “easily recongizeable premises” ==> example: Just Dance
(2) “marketable brand recognition” ==> example: Lego Star Wars
(3) “hype” ==> curiously, no example given.

In order to get third party software to sell. Really? REALLY? This is
what they come up with? It’s downright outrageous and blatantly
idiotic to compare those games to Mario 5. These are clearly not the
real reasons, and I am at a loss as to whether these people are
actually deluded enough to think they actually ARE, or whether it is a
deliberate ploy.

Anyways, keep up the good work, there Malstrom! I’m glad to see you
haven’t yet fully left. As the only voice of reason in a sea of
mediocrity and viral messengers, you are sure to continue and get
under their nerves in all kinds of ways should Nintendo hopefully
continue on their disruptive path.

P.S. I sincerely hope you are right about Nintendo and the Zelda team
looking at old design documents. I played Zelda II again recently and
was in awe of how much fun it was.

All the best,
Virtual Malstrom-fan

Matt Matthews doesn’t do anything in his ‘analysis’ pages except to compare one bar graph to another bar graph and make assertions. You read these things and you don’t feel you have come across with anything new or insightful. Nothing is being said.

Take a look at this ‘article’ that claims the Industry is ’stable’: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/27248/Analysis_Years_Comparisons_Shows_Fairly_Stable_Games_Biz.php

In 2007, there was a joke that the Wii was always left out of ‘Next Generation’ terms (people were always grouping Wii with the PS2, Xbox, and Gamecube generation) but when it came time to measure the ‘Industry’, all of Wii’s sales were included so analysts could orgasm: “Yes! The industry is growing like never before!”

For all the disdain and talk about the ‘casuals’, i.e. the Expanded Audience, everyone sure is quick to include them in the total “Industry” numbers. Since everyone, forum dweller, analyst, and third party, have spoken volumes about Core Gaming and Expanded Audience Gaming, why don’t they make this distinction to the Industry as a whole?

How much of the Industry total is ‘Expanded Audience’ versus ‘Core Audience’?

We know at least half of the Wii is Expanded Audience. It is probably more than that, but let us give the Industry a handicap (since it will need one). All the growth for the “Industry” has been on the DS/Wii side since 2006. The PS2 has been in, understandable, decline. The PSP is dying in America. The Xbox 360 sales are relatively flat despite price cuts. The PS3, which is 50% off of its initial price in only three years, is still relatively flat. While the Wii dropped year over year, it is still putting out huge numbers.

The question everyone is avoiding: What happened to the PS2 gamers? Where did they go? We were told they would go to the PS3 once it had a price cut and revision. That isn’t happening. They aren’t going to the Xbox 360. And we know they aren’t going to the Wii as the Wii sales are coming from the Expanded Audience. So where the hell did all these gamers go?

No one is asking this question. No one. If the Industry is so ’stable’, then why does all the stability rely on the Expanded Audience? Why is it when the Wii hiccups with the Expanded Audience, the Industry suddenly falls?

The answer is that the Core Market is dying. And the Expanded Audience is slowly but surely replacing it.

“That will never happen! What a Nintendo fanboy! Ahr har har har!”

Then explain PC gaming to me, fool. The Core Market of PC Gaming is now the niche.

And it is happening with console gaming too. With the exception of Modern Warfare 2, most new core games are not performing as well as they did in the past.

It isn’t the end of gaming. Gaming will live on. But it is the end of hardcore gaming.

Email: The Grinder and the Conduit

You know, it doesn’t even remotely surprise me that The Grinder has gone multiplatform.  It sounds just stupid enough for them to pull.  People were originally seeing this game as a Wii Left For Dead clone, but to put it on those systems where the REAL game in many of their eyes exist?  Recipe for a sales disaster waiting to happen. Now HVS was probably banking on the hype from the “unrivaled Wii visuals” and “Ultimate Wii FPS” marketing spiel to sell The Conduit in blockbuster numbers. When that didn’t work out for them they probably decided that instead of making a better game, they’ll make The Grinder multiplatform since their realization that Expanded Audience Wii owners don’t ask “How High?” when they yell jump.  Too bad it’s gonna backfire, as MANY 360/PS3 games are probably gonna look better AND play better than The Grinder.

Now IGN has been full of it lately with all their Wii shenanigans and such, and once again the site lives up to it.  What Matt said in that thread concerning The Grinder going multiplatform was just a sight to behold. “Sorry guys. Fact is, Wii is a really tough market for a game like this. Can’t really blame High Voltage for not wanting to sink everything into a Wii-exclusive just so nobody will buy it because it doesn’t star Mario and doesn’t come packed with a Balance Board.”

Insulting most of your (in this case former) base isn’t all that smart, but since he wants to be like that about it, let me tell you from my perspective as a Expanded Audience FPS player (yes we do exist) why The Conduit actually fails at life and why it wasn’t gonna sell blockbuster numbers in the first place.

They broke the controls:  What felt absolutely perfect in Metroid Prime 3 and Call of Duty WaW at the time was completely butchered on here.  The camera lagged behind your movements outside of the bounding box, and it’s something I never got accustomed to.  I found myself dying more often than enough because I was fighting the control scheme more than I was the enemies.  Why can’t I use nunchuk tilt to peek around corners like in Metal of Honor? (this was a PSP port and it played better)  The gestures worked pretty damn accurately there too, but blow here.  Why?

No Zapper support at all:  Call of Duty and Metal of Honor Heroes 2 did it, and both benefited heavily from the extra support a second hand gives to your aiming. That’s not even including the extra immersion factor of feeling like you have a gun in your hand.

What added even more insult to injury was the fact that certain functions could NOT be mapped to a certain button or gesture.   No matter how I tried to set the game up with the Zapper, there was ALWAYS one or two crucial functions that were either largely out of reach or unavailable where I wanted it to be.  It felt like HVS was telling me that playing with the Zapper isn’t Hardcore and that they chose to ignore it.

Single Player was mediocre at best:  With a trying to be serious but failing miserably storyline, not to mention all the action stopping with just trying to find those damned lights with the ASE, it just falls apart at the seams.  Also, every area looks dull and repetitive.  Doesn’t matter how long or short the game is when it starts putting you to sleep a quarter of the way through.  Did I even mention the glitches?  It’s competition, Call of Duty and even Metal of Honor Heroes 2 were more enjoyable on this front, though part of that probably had a lot to do with both originating on systems where third parties actually TRY.

The Multiplayer was probably the best part of the game.  I will admit, there’s a lot of features here which they did promise and deliver. For all intents and purposes they’re nice to have.  However, that’s about where the praise ends.  The maps are so textbook average.  Every map is symmetrical to a fault (I understand this for CTF but damn MoHH2 did this MUCH better on a whole), and there’s nothing really interesting about them.  Most of them are small, and the larger ones are too enclosed except for a spot or two. Unless you’re in a room with 10 or more people you’re not gonna see too many people moving around in some of the more enclosed maps. While in single player you can speed up your default walking speed, in multiplayer you’re as slow as hell.  The ability to sprint temporarily would’ve alleviated this issue, but HVS didn’t seem to have the foresight to do something like that.

I HATE the voting structure for the weapons.  Like automatics, you better hope the rest of the group votes for them because otherwise you’re out of luck.  You have to play with what the majority votes for, which is crap because not everybody can use Drudge weapons like they can Humans or vice versa.  What makes this even worse is that the majority of games that you join are loaded with people who only want to play with the Explosive artillery set.  If you hate playing with those kind of weapons like I do, you’re SOL in about 60% of the games being played.

However, what really burned me up about Multiplayer was it’s lobby setup.  Getting into ANY game, friends or random, can take up anywhere from 4 minutes or MORE if for some reason it drops the room on you because the game fails to “Authenticate” everyone.  With every other FPS I’ve ever had, Wii or PC, usually this procedure takes no longer than about 30 seconds and you’re in.  Now here where it gets really dumb.  When you finally connect to a game and you’re waiting on the system to load the stage/models/etc., keep in mind that there’s only a 1 in 10 chance that you’ll actually get to play.  Why?  Because someone during testing fell completely asleep when it came to making sure YOU ACTUALLY GET IN THE GAME!  9 times out of 10 upon your first game connection you will glitch out and be spawned in a wall or something.  You cannot move or get out of this state.  You MUST restart the game.  You MUST go through the 4 minute waiting procedure again and HOPE that it doesn’t screw up a second time.  If it doesn’t glitch out, you’re good to go as the glitch only happens on the very first connection to that specific game.  Either way, it sucks because something like this should never have been allowed to get through testing.  By the way, I can’t help but to notice that big name reviews haven’t mentioned this issue either.  Yet another reason reviews irregardless of the platform, are absolutely worthless these days.  Either give us the whole story or keep your mouth shut!

I didn’t bring the so called superior Wii graphics into this because, like always, in the grand scheme of things it’s irrelevant.  All the bump and normal mapping in the world doesn’t make up for a poor game.  The extra art stuff and all that came with the game could be summed up as them patting themselves on the back for creating the ultimate Wii Hardcore FPS.

I returned the game shortly after buying it at launch.  It just wasn’t compelling, and felt like it was half finished.  This is why comments like the one Matt made get under my skin.  Mario 5 and Wii Fit/Fit Plus FEEL like finished, polished, complete products that are actually GOOD.  They sell, because they’re GOOD, and they appeal to a wide variety of people (me included) because they don’t insult your intelligence on what good game design is, not because it has Mario or includes the balance board.  We all know if Mario was what sold games, then Mario Galaxy wouldn’t have failed in the grand scheme of things (I sold that too).  If third parties even put half that kind of effort into their games they would be so much better off.  Instead they’d rather give us quarter effort games like Need For Speed Nitro and The Conduit and then wonder why they can’t sell a game worth beans on the Wii.

It has been a longtime complaint of Old School gamers that games are not as good they were before, and that they are trying too much to be like a movie and all. Games have become soul-less and manufactured as if from a sausage factory.

As I’ve said before, game companies like Nintendo and Blizzard did not have the ‘exceptional quality’ reputation back a decade ago.Companies like Westwood were seen as equals to Blizzard. Sega, Capcom, Konami, and others were seen as equals to Nintendo’s software output (with the exceptions of Mario and Zelda). The quality of gaming truly has been on the decline.

This leads to a curious choice to the gamer. Should the gamer lower his standards and buy crappier games? Or should the gamer stop buying games? What differentiates the Old School gamers from every other gamer is that the Old School gamer refuses to lower his/her standards for the product.  Current Core Gamers either have accepted increased mediocrity or they are too young to know what a quality game is.There has been data showing less and less younger people getting into gaming. This correlates with the decline in quality of the software. As for the current Core Gamer, they have more money than time (whereas when they were younger they had more time than money) so they are carrying their childhood habit with them and buying more games. However, they have shelves full of “Industry Event” games that are rarely, if ever, played. They have large backlogs of games they bought due to hype, yet haven’t gotten around to playing.

Concerning High Voltage Software, the reason why they are going multi-platform is likely due to the publisher demanding it (Sega). However, going multi-platform is not going to increase their sales. You need to differentiate yourself from the competition. HVS, whatever their quality, was at least differentiated by being on the Wii. Now, there is nothing different about them.

You know, I’ve been thinking long and hard about why games keep getting worse and worse (and it isn’t because I am Cranky Kong, there is less and less excitement concerning Core Games). And there are many theories one can point to and I do think the big reason is the Industry making games to service “Industry” rather than gaming. But another thought:

There has been a rise of the ‘Lifestyle Game Developer’. What is the ‘Lifestyle Game Developer’? Let me use an analogy.

The worst type of writers are those who look at it as being a ‘lifestyle writer’. They like they idea of sitting at home all day, typing away, sipping green tea, doing book signings, and, most of all, they feel they “have a novel inside me somewhere”. These ‘lifestyle writers’ are the reason why your local bookstore is filled with crap.

I think what we are seeing are kids who grew up with video games that want to develop video games because they feel they “have a video game inside them” and that they are “the next Miyamoto”. They look at the video game business, which is entertainment, to think that it will be an entertaining lifestyle for them. The rub is that while it is entertaining, it is supposed to be entertaining for the audience and not for the developers. The video game developer is not there to “play” and have “recess”.

I think the wrong type of people are becoming video game developers.  The early 80s had video game developers be so only because they were insane. There was no money, no status in video games. And it was considered a ‘fad’. Iwata admitted that when he went to work for HAL that his parents wanted to disown him. That type of dedication was the type of person you wanted as a video game developer.

Video game developers seem as if they have gotten dumber and don’t seem much different from a frat house. In order to make games like “Civilization”, a developer would have to have a strong grasp of history, a good sense about economics, and all of that. Today, I no longer see that sense. Today’s developers seem as if they are very literate in the latest comic books or movies and technology trends, but they seem dumb on rocks as to Human Nature and do not appear to be Life Questers. What is a Life Quester? It is someone who goes through life trying to explore it and every part of it to better himself. Think of Benjamin Franklin and his journals and all. The reason why Miyamoto can invent something like Nintendogs or Wii Fit is because he is a life quester. He doesn’t just go to work and then go home to exist like an animal in front of a TV with beer. He is more interested in exploring at what life holds. And this keeps coming across in the games. People buy Wii Fit because they, too, are on the life quest of ‘getting fit’.

Why do all the games coming out seem like clones of other games? While the Industry is to be blamed, it cannot be the blame for every game. I think many developers are satisfied to just be ‘lifestyle developers’ where they are a game developer purely because of the lifestyle it has. Many computing jobs are in the corporate world, and they are making games just so they can fashion themselves as an ‘artist’ and wear long hair. These are the wrong reasons to be a game developer.

No one ever wants to admit that they suck or have been sucking. Why didn’t your game sell? Is it because…

A) Nintendo/Activision Blizzard have such brand recognition that no game can compete?

B) Recession

C) Industry pigs pushed the game out too fast.

D) Piracy

E) You Suck

No one ever chooses option E. It is always something else.  This is why I like to say: “The Business Model is fine. The problem is that YOU SUCK.”

If I had a question for HVS, it would be, “Why are you a game developer when these are the type of games you want to make? Why be a game developer if your mission is to make uninteresting games?” I would get a reply of something like “It is because that is what we wish to do. This is the job we’ve wanted.”

Too many young budding game developers are interested in getting a job as “game developer” instead of asking what they want to develop. Once upon a time, the job of ‘game developer’ didn’t exist. Hell, the job ‘web master’ didn’t exist until the 1990s.

A classic game like Montezuma’s Revenge was made by a 16 year old kid. Today, all the “young budding game developers” have ample access to computers. And what do they use it for? To play ‘analyst’ in message forums! You, yes you, the amazing and glorious reader, could be developing your very own game RIGHT NOW. And you could even sell it and make money! And the reason why you are not developing your own game right now is very simple:

You don’t want it badly enough.

If you want it bad enough, you would already be doing it. There is this one writer who gets invited to speak at “Writing Classes”. He goes there in front a sea of wide eyed students and says, “If you want to write, why the hell are you here? You should be writing, not taking classes on writing.” Then he turns toward the door and leaves. This is why I have never understood ‘video game classes’. You have a computer in front of you. You can make a game now. What you might need a class for is for programming or for art or something else. But certainly not for games!

There are more opportunities for the ‘young budding game developer’ today. Instead, they are more interested in becoming a ‘lifestyle developer’ where they join a company and ‘make games’ without realizing they are going to get chewed up by the ‘Industry’ and spit out. The ‘Industry’ really is taking advantage of all these naive ‘young budding game developers’.

You don’t have to ‘join’ the Industry to make and sell a game.

Comment of the Month

This comment, following the most Twilight Zone analysis I’ve seen, made be laugh.

“James Brightman is a veteran games journalist with more than six years of experience. He was previously the EIC of GameDaily Biz”

Dear experienced games journalist. Did it not occur to you to even question or counter-balance the ramblings of this “analyst” given that mere weeks ago, the Wii sold almost as many units in one month as the PS3 did all year in the US market?

This is a comment I wish I wrote. I love the ‘Dear experienced game journalist’ part. Hahahaha.

Now listen to Brightman in a response below:

To the people talking about shortages, we in fact have covered that. We’re fully aware that Nintendo is dealing with shortages. There are two possibilities on that front: 1) Either Nintendo is holding back on Wii shipments to create more shortage frenzy; or 2) They really screwed up their allocations, because shortages just shouldn’t be a problem at this point.

I also agree with Anthony: the Wii market is automatically going to slow down because Nintendo has already sold a ton. That said, I feel the Wii market is governed by a very different set of circumstances. It’s not at all like a traditional console, and it seems that its sales are now becoming much more seasonal, as opposed to 360 and PS3.

It is incredible that someone who runs a BUSINESS website would even possibly put stock in the “Nintendo is holding back supply to create demand”. That is not how business works. Nintendo doesn’t like the Wii sold out because that means they could lose a customer to a competitor. Why doesn’t Brightman offer a third possibility: that demand is up again? It is economics 101 that supply is affected by demand. And judging from December’s sales, there was tons of demand for the Wii.

Wii becoming a seasonal console? Hahaha.

Email: Wii is doomed… again!

It’s been too long since we’ve had a good “Wii is doomed, price cuts imminent/necessary” article from a video game “analyst.”  So, let’s rejoice in the newest one!

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/27255/Analysis_Nintendo_To_Slow_In_2010_As_Arc_Natal_Lure_New_Casual.php

This guy didn’t get the memo.

Old Way: Nintendo is about to exit the hardware business.

New Way: Nintendo is about to come out with new hardware.

Email: Re: Dear Experienced Game Journalist

Dear Malstrom,

Glad you liked my comment on “IndustryGamers” daft reporting of Mike Hickey supposed analysis that the Wii needs a price cut. I found it via VG247 (and made a similar comment) which at least appeared to have it’s tongue slightly in it’s cheek at the sheer lunacy of it. It seems to be a day for daft articles given similar reporting of a Sony executive spouting all kinds of nonsense, though ignoring Nintendo as usual.

It’s something that frustrates me no end actually, both as someone interested in the “Industry” and being in a position where I have to work with publishers during the week. There is little to no actual *journalism* going on the vast majority of the time. Trade press, blogs etc. are seemingly happy to sit there, wait for press release and regurgitate what is spoon fed to them 90% of the time with little to no thought as to why they might be saying something or reading between the lines. Everything is taken at face value. Thus we have the daft situation today where it is now commonly accepted that the PS3 was supply constrained during January (despite Sony having previous in over-exaggerating or just plain lying about supply constraints as Penny Arcade remembered) and little to know discussion that Nintendo might have actually been supply constrained themselves (only commentary I’ve seen on that has been from Bill Harris’ blog).

As I tweeted, seems to be a day for “industry” bollocks.

Anyhow just wanted to say cheers for pulling my comment out and how much I’m enjoying your blog which I’ve been reading since the Birdmen article, something I usually point people to when introducing them to the concept of disruption.

Incidentally, I’ve been trying to write a couple of pieces in a similar vein of late. Firstly that in my opinion the iPad can be seen as a “bridge” product to move iPhone / iTouch users introduced to Apple products up the chain of Apple products and secondly similar to a blog you just posted about how the traditional “industry” isn’t really growing at all, at least since 2005 (despite frequent dick waving about YoY increases up until last year). The first is just a theory which I’m still not concrete on and the second is difficult as little hard data exists, particularly with regard to what software marketshare Nintendo say did have in 2005. Hopefully I’ll get there eventually on that one.

I’m constantly amazed at who reads this little site. I didn’t think I’d get an email from the comment guy when I posted his comment!

It is pretty funny how the ‘Industry’ is becoming more and more defensive as they are getting stuck in a corner. I’m suspecting now that all the ‘crazy utterances’ we are hearing from analysts and company heads are all targeting investors. Investors calling up third party companies and demanding they put games on the Wii back in 2007, when the Wii exploded, is why they went to the Wii in the first place. (Prior, EA’s “Wii software” was holed up in some place in Canada.) Much of the talk of “Wii is doomed! Natal and Arc going to dominate!” are, I believe, directed at the investors so they won’t demand third parties to stop ignoring the Wii install base. Also, the constant recitals of “Third party games cannot sell on Wii, Nintendo steals all the customers!” is also aimed at the investors.

I’m suspecting that the ‘Game Industry’ is attempting to deceive investors. The investors have the power to decide what platforms these companies make their games on. As with the famous incident with Trip Hawkins at Electronic Arts back during the NES rise, the investors get their way even if you are president and founder of the company.

Lately, I’ve been watching the melt-down of Michael Pachter with considerable amusement. Any mask of ‘objectivity’ has been torn off. In his latest ‘Pach-Attack’, he says i-Pad will take away Nintendo handheld sales because people will play Tetris on the i-Pad. Well, Tetris was available on the iPhone and iPod Touch and that didn’t impede any sales. And how can a button-less device be taken seriously as a game interface especially for games like Tetris? First Pach-Attack, he declared victory for the ‘hardcore gamer’ (haha). For January NPD, he blamed the Wii. For December NPD, he blamed the Wii. He even started a NeoGAF thread to attempt to drive discussion toward ‘why can’t third parties sell on Wii’. In Bloomberg, Pachter claimed that Wii sold what it did in December because of Wal-Mart’s special deal but, alas for Pachter, the console sold out everywhere which means there has to be more than just Wal-Mart. Month before that, he said that as PS3 lowers in price, it takes away from Wii’s sales. All throughout 2009, Pachter kept driving and driving discussion about Wii HD and did everything to make it appear to look like it was ‘inevitable’ and ‘coming out soon’. My favorite point came last year when Pachter told Reggie Fils-Aime that as President of NOA, Reggie should go outside and that he (Reggie) had no idea what Iwata was doing in Japan. In my life, I’ve never witnessed an analyst behave in such a way. And when you point out this bizarre behavior, he gets upset about that and demands you do not question his behavior. Well, when you go out of your way to make yourself such a public figure as Pachter has and infiltrate every website and forum, behavior is fair game as is comments.

There is a disclaimer on Pachter’s reports that Wedbush does do business with some of the companies it is suppose to analyze. I am very curious as to what sort of “business” this is. And yes, I am in contact with some of Wedbush’s clients (but let us keep that a secret between you and me, dear reader).

With each year, the claims that Wii is just going to drop dead and PS3 will magically rise to the sky become more and more absurd. People ask me, “How can these people say such stupid things?” The answer is because being correct in the ‘analysis’ is not the objective. The objective is obviously something else. But I suspect it is to do and say anything to make sure investors do not insist for their companies to make games on the Nintendo system. All the “Industry” lines all seem to revolve around trying to persuade investors on that basis. Remember, all these companies started off this generation not wanting ANYTHING to do with the Nintendo system as they were heavily invested in the ‘Next Gen’ machines. “Wii is a fad.” “Third parties can’t sell on Wii.” “Only ‘casuals’ are on Wii.” “No one can compete with Nintendo.” “Once HD Twins have price cut, sales will skyrocket!”Casual bubble is popping…” Even the “Nintendo is coming out with new hardware right around the corner!” to “Arc and Natal will destroy Wii,” also clearly fit as if all these loony phrases are arrows aimed at the investors. The HD Twins have been marked down by 50%, and they still aren’t moving. So what are they going to say after Arc and Natal? With Sony going ‘rah rah’ over the new 3d technology, I guess we have our answer.

I’m still waiting for someone to explain to me where all the PS2 gamers went. No one seems to have an explanation for it. Worse, no one else seems to be asking the question.

Sony is funny

Click here to read today’s latest Industry Propoganda

“What publishers have said is they’re not going to spend the resources on Wii… In my job, we compete against Microsoft and Nintendo, and we’re competing for resources. So when I walk into a publisher, I ask, ‘Where are you guys pushing your resources?’ In the past, it was ‘Look how hot the Wii is,’ or ‘Look how hot the DS is,’ and ‘We should put resources there.’ They did that and realized, ‘You know what, third-party product just doesn’t sell on that platform.’ So now they’re taking those resources, coming back to us and saying, ‘Sony we’re going to be able to provide you with that exclusive content,’ or ‘We’re going to put more engineers on it and figure out to maximize the Blu-ray and get more out of PS3.’ That’s what we’re seeing now,” he stated.

Dyer continued, “And I don’t even have to fight for their hearts and minds; I just show them the TRST data with regards to how many top 10 titles are third-party titles on the Wii, or how many top 10 titles are third-party titles on the DS. Not many. It’s not a hard story to sell, and they get that. Unless they’ve got a particular franchise that’s worked well on the Wii, you don’t see a lot of innovative new IP coming out on that platform.”

-

-

-

Why do Game Journalists make things up?

One of the reasons why reporting on Nintendo is so poor is because journalists are applying the same cookie cutter template of the Industry to Nintendo. Nintendo has its own values and direction.

Consider this story.

This is the first line:

With Sony and EA recently unveiling bold new moves to counter what publishers see as the threat posed by the pre-owned market, Nintendo has refused to rule out taking similar measures with its own products.

Now, how did MCV get this story? What are the sources?

Sony has now also adopted the model for upcoming PSP release SOCOM Fireteam Bravo 3, as well as requiring internet validation to unlock the multiplayer component of the game.

When asked by MCV if it is planning to do the same, a spokesperson for Wii and DS platform holder Nintendo stated:

“Nintendo has, and will continue to take steps and examine new ways to technically protect our hardware and software products in an effort to foster and encourage the development and creativity of new games on our handheld and console systems.”

How on Earth is this Nintendo standard reply taken to mean a position on pre-owned video games? MCV doesn’t explain and apparently doesn’t care. It just lumps the quote with everything else.

And what is the other source for this story?

The firm is no stranger to aggressively protecting its IP. In the last month alone it has successfully prosecuted two men found guilty of selling or supplying DS piracy device R4 and won major damages from a man who uploaded an illegal copy of New Super Mario Bros Wii to the internet prior to its release.

Now this has nothing to do with the pre-owned market. This has everything to do with piracy. Piracy is illegal. There is nothing to discuss about it.

Iwata, himself, corrected Reggie Fils-Aime in 2008 when he made a comment about getting rid of pre-owned games in a questions from investors. Iwata said that pre-owned is legal and Nintendo cannot do anything about it. However, Nintendo can and should do something about piracy.

Why is this MCV story trying to lump Nintendo’s fight against piracy as fight against pre-owned games? Nintendo doesn’t even suffer from pre-owned sales. If Nintendo did, NSMB Wii, Mario Kart Wii, and others would not still be selling.

Pre-owned games are nothing more than a symptom of disinterest. Gamers do not wish to sell their games. But they will if the games suck. Behind every pre-owned game is an unhappy customer. Look at the software in a used game store and you will find the shelves lined with crappy software. There aren’t very many good games as used games.

Used games are critical for game collectors in case they want to get a certain game. These collectors keep the spirit of gaming thriving even if the Industry goes off a cliff (as they did in 1984).

Anyway, the solution to pre-owned games has always been the Virtual Console. It makes no sense that I have to plug in a NES to play Legend of Zelda when the console at my TV can certainly play it.

The reason why pre-owned games are hurting the HD Twins so much is because their games are absolute garbage. Their games cannot hold their value. It is hilarious seeing these once hyped $60 Next Generation games cost $5 in some nameless bin.

Make games that hold their value, that people do not want to sell, and pre-owned games cannot be a problem. The disease is dis-interest, the symptom is used games. Many companies are fighting the symptom but not assaulting the disease.

But in order to declare war against disinterest, you must first admit that your product sucks. And I do not see anyone in the Industry doing this.

The Relationship Between the Gamer and Developer

Making games for ‘customers’ as opposed to yourselves is getting some people to think that customers have a say in design decisions or level design and all. This actually is not the case. And it greatly offends the developers when this is done.

The relationship between the gamer and developer is the relationship between the diner and the cook. The diner consumes the food the chef makes. The purpose is for the diner to have a pleasant eating experience. If the food tastes funny or tastes badly, what the chef says doesn’t matter. It is the consumer’s taste buds that matter, not the chef’s. I’ve noticed in life that a chef’s taste in food is very different from the average consumer. Their taste is far more elaborate. The diner may not desire all the ’special spices’ and ’secret sauce’.

Not everyone likes the same type of food. Some people love fish. Others hate fish. Some people love Mexican food. Others hate Mexican food. As with gaming, there is a taste with some people liking RPG games, other people liking FPS games. Neither is *wrong*. They are just different tastes. But even despite tastes, even if you hate fish, you can tell when a fish meal was prepared well or not. If you hate Mexican food, you can tell when the dish was properly made or not. Taste doesn’t equal quality of the product.

Let us say the chef says, “I have imagined a new dish that uses truffles. This customer ordered a pizza. A pizza is a casual meal. I prefer a real meal. And I prefer to use my artistic skills as a chef. Therefore, instead of making the stupid pizza, I will make my truffle souffle!”

When the waiter brings the meal out to the diner, the diner is shocked. “Where’s my pizza?” “This is a truffle souffle.” “What the hell is that?” The diner tries the truffles and spits them out. “This is abominable! I demand the pizza I ordered!” And then the chef, standing at the door, watches all this. The chef charges up to the diner and says, “What! You do not like my truffles? This is because you have no taste! I will force my taste on you!” And then the chef opens the diner’s mouth and begins cramming his truffle souffle down his throat. “Behold my artistic vision!” laughs the chef as the customer chokes.

As ridiculous as that it, it is equally ridiculous for the customer to barge into the kitchen to tell the chef how to cook the pizza. “It is my pizza. Therefore, I insist the chef use that pan instead of that pan, to have the oven on at 400 degrees instead of 350 degrees, and to use that dough over there.” This is greatly offensive to the chef as that is the chef’s profession and the customer is a rank amateur. The customer is, of course, pushed out of the kitchen. The customer’s role is to eat the food, not to cook it. Likewise, the chef’s role is to cook the food, not to eat it.

“Hamburgers are too casual a meal. I insist we cook only gourmet meals.” Any chef who says that would not have his restaurant be in business for long. Who cares whether or not the game is something the developers want to play. What matters is if the market wants to play it. If kids come in, does the chef say, “I don’t make kiddie meals”? Everywhere I go, I find that kids are given food that they will eat.

However, imagine this scenario. Imagine if you are dining at a restaurant and, all of a sudden, you heard donkey sounds come from the kitchen. “Eehh Ohhrr Eeeehhh Ohhrr!” The customer would be thinking, “What the hell?” and the customer would likely stand up, walk over to the kitchen, and poke his head in and say, “What is going on in there?”

In the same way, when games are coming from studios that are resembling a movie instead of a game, or games that keep raising the price or demand DLC, the customer is, rightfully, going to poke his head into the kitchen and go, “What the hell is going on in there?”

When the gamer is being hit by ever increasing prices, games that are not games, invasive DRM, and downloadable content the customer doesn’t want, the gamer is going to poke his head into the developer studios and say, “What the hell is going on in there?”

First of all, thanks for catching us up, Rhonin. Second of all, how did you avoid it turning into a quote train?

Email: Xbox failed to change the Industry

Hi Malstrom, just thought I’d point you a little interview you might find interesting with Seamus Blackley (father of the Xbox as he is sometimes referred to).

He talks about how he feels the Xbox was a failure as it didn’t live up to his intentions, namely changing the business of gaming so that better and more creative games could be made. He goes on into other things like mentioning Bungie getting independence from Microsoft and using that as an example of how the current business of gaming stresses milking known quantities to death over original titles.

The guy he is talking to is Warren Spector, the man behind Deus Ex and the upcoming Epic Mickey amongst other things.

This is an interesting video. Note how all his concerns are business.

One thing that many of the ‘masses’ do not realize is that most businesses fail. It is around 9 out of 10 businesses fail within their first few years. Just because you are part of a failing business does not mean YOU are a failure. The only way to be a failure is to stop trying. When we grow up, we are given tests where if you get the wrong answer, you are considered ‘wrong’. But real life is different. You don’t know how bizarre it is to be part of a failing business and have people, who have never done anything but be employees, ridicule you as a ‘failure’. Of course, they are doing so to make themselves feel better about their position in life.

The reason why Blackley failed to change gaming was because he failed to change the Industry. The Industry does not care about “making beautiful things”. The Industry just wants its sack of cash. Even if your company is successful, the Industry can still terminate you. The Industry wants franchises to exploit and to milk. They don’t want ‘mildly successful games’ but blockbusters.

Everyone knows that gaming is better served with many games trying to do something new and interesting since a new amazing game might appear that could create a new genre. But the Industry is not interested in the long-term approach.

Business is always tough. And business in video games is always is going to kick your ass because it is so difficult. The way how I imagined the end of the Industry would be developers becoming more and more business aware to the point where some of them could create their own businesses, become little Iwatas, and leave the Industry behind. They would be small teams interested in doing what they love. Just like in that scene in Return of the Jedi when Darth Vader throws the emperor down the hole, I always imagined that developers would realize that the Industry is destroying what they love and the developers, themselves, would rise up and throw the Industry down the hole.

Above: Watching the Industry kill young developers, the old developers rise up and throw the Industry down the hole… so the dream of gaming will not die.

The Disappearing Middle Game Companies

There has been talk as to why the game businesses in the middle have disappeared. All that is left are the upper AAA game companies and the smaller little companies. What is going on? And why is Sony talking about 3d glasses for gaming when clearly HD gaming didn’t have massive market demand?

While Nintendo is certainly the flagship boat of disruption to the video game market, there are many other boats out there. If Nintendo did not choose to go disruption, other businesses would. The disruption occurring to video games is not a Nintendo thing so much as a general thing altogether. Nintendo is riding the wave of this disruption while Sony is being driven underneath it.

If disruption was a play, this is how it would go.

The first Act is where the disruptor enters the stage. The disruptor is selling to non-customers. The disruptees, the core market, does not care because they consider these non-customers to be worthless. Who wants to make games for middle age women or for grandparents? The First Act is that the disruptor sees stunning growth. However, this is all ignored by the Core Market because they consider the product to be crappy and the customers to be crappy. These ‘worthless’ customers will not buy as many games as the ‘hardcore’ gamer. So why should the Core Market care?

The Second Act is when the Core Market retreats to the higher margins of the market. In other words, it makes sense for the Industry to retreat from the middle margins. It is rational for them to do so. The low margins of the market have been invaded by the disruptors. A wise company will fight for the lower margins to stop the disruptors (which appears to be what Natal is trying to do).

But now we have a problem. The low end is occupied by the disruptors. The high end is occupied by the Core Market. And the middle is vacant. What will happen next is that the disruptors, who are hungry for higher profit margins, will move to the middle margins. The values of the ‘casual games’ will be moving up. And what I mean by this is that a game like New Super Mario Brothers Wii is definitely having the values of games like Wii Sports, but it is a far more sophisticated title. Yet, NSMB Wii is not a ‘Core Game’. So Act Three will be seeing the disruptors move to fill the vacuum in the middle margins. We could be seeing the beginning of this as Nintendo focuses more on Motion Plus.

What is going to happen is that ‘Old Gaming’ is going to be stuck at the very top margins. Sony looking to 3d glasses technology to save them is actually retreating. It is more ’sustaining innovation’. If upping the visuals didn’t work with HD, why would 3d glasses work? But Sony hasn’t figured out that they need to adopt new values. All the PlayStation knows how to do is to make ‘better graphics’.

Cornered, the gaming stuck at the top margins will find the disruptors following them until they have no where else to run. Then, they get gored.

However, I do not believe Core Gaming will be completely gored. With motorcycles, companies like Harley-Davidson were able to survive as a niche due to their counter-culture status. Some Core Gaming will survive due to its counter-culture status.

The shift in the disappearing middle game companies is the Core Market retreating upwards to the higher margins. Disruption doesn’t take place in a ‘generation’. It took decades for the steel industry and motorcycles to be completely disrupted. However, video games are a far more fragile business. Could this take around ten years? Maybe less?

"The Relationship Between the Gamer and Developer" article was pretty funny lol

Castlevania Judgment FC:     1161 - 3389 - 1512

3DS Friend Code:   3480-2746-6289

Wii Friend Code: 4268-9719-1932-3069