By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
LordTheNightKnight said:

Email: Final Fantasy 13 to revitalize “Game Industry”

Hi Sean,

This is just so hilarious: http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/02/09/news-FFXIII-Producers-Say-Game-Will-Use-Phoenix-Down-On-Japanese-Game-Industry.aspx

Yes! An epic HD game is exactly what Japan needed! We only had 200-300 of those so far, it’s this one that we were all waiting for!

Hilarious indeed!

While some people read the Sunday funnies, I read what video game analysts say. What we should do is whenever an analyst speaks, we should make a comic strip with the analyst’s quote in it. Do these people realize everyone is laughing at them?

Those aren't game analysts, they're the game's producers hyping it up......I don't know where he gets the analysts bit.

Around the Network

Impersonator

Just sending this because you might find it amusing. Someone impersonated you in a comment on my blog, saying in what could be understood as a dismissive tone, that I should change my blog URL from suikatime.blogs.sapo.pt to seanmalstrom.blogs.sapo.pt.

Link

As you have already said before, “if you aren’t being criticized, you aren’t doing anything.” =)

(the blog is not in english, the post in question were some thoughts about what could be the difference between hype and marketing)

Remember everyone, I do not post in any comments or forums. Sean Malstrom only posts here. If you see “Sean Malstrom” anywhere else, he is a fake.

"Those aren't game analysts, they're the game's producers hyping it up......I don't know where he gets the analysts bit."

Yeah, I noticed that goof as well. All I can add is I'm not making this thread to claim the guy gets everything right.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Email: Nintendo tidbits

I enjoyed your comments regarding Iwata’s recent statements.  One thing I find to be particularly interesting is Nintendo’s focus to get their users
on-line.  I think they have something very “unique” up their sleeves.  There
was an interview with Reggie at Forbes where he really made it sound like
they were working on something.

http://www.forbes.com/2008/11/17/nintendo-filsaime-community-tech-personal-cx_cm_1118nintendo.html?partner=alerts

Also, I was translating a Japanese site via google – it had Miyamoto’s
comments from the Media Arts Festival.  A rough translation had him saying
“Perhaps something was lost when Mario made the transition to 3d.”  Don’t
quote me on this though as google did the translation.  This is good news
IMHO because it shows that they have learned from a business perspective
and also on a personal level that there is value in 2d Mario.

I really hope they can do something dramatic and new with 2d Mario soon.  :)

Perhaps something off the wall like SMW.  :)

All the best.

For the next 2d Mario, one thing is for certain is that they cannot rely on the old worlds anymore. Ice World, Desert World, Water World, Sky World, etc. are all so boring. Aside from Grassland and the last world (of Hell), I say there needs to be something different.

I also believe the ‘elements’ as themes are greatly stale. It was cool during the 80s. But the themes of earth, wind, water, and air are extremely tired. This is one reason why I think the Mega Man games got so dull. All the robot masters are based on elements (as well as speed/quickness). Mega Man 1 was a mix of robot like features (Elec Man, Bomb Man) and elements (Fire Man, Ice Man). Mega Man 2 was all elements. Mega Man 3 was a ton of robot like features (Magnet Man, Spark Man, Gemini Man, etc). But ever since then, Mega Man games keep throwing in a water robot master, an air robot master, a fire robot master, and so on. And they wonder why people get bored. They wonder why we keep saying, “We’ve seen this boss before!”

Zelda seems to have this problem too. All the dungeons have a theme and that theme is one of the elements. I don’t think I am the only one who is sick and tired of the first dungeon being a forest temple. Twilight Princess felt more tired than it should have because the dungeons had very old themes (water temple, underground mine with lava, ice mansion, etc). Note that the dungeons that players were most excited by were the Temple of Time (what element is that? Can’t say!) and the City of the Clouds. While the City of the Clouds may be seen as ‘air element’, I don’t think that is how consumers experienced it. City of the Clouds had the theme of technological and ancient than just ‘air’. It was a very haunting place. Even though players admit how boring the gameplay was, they still love the environment.

There was a ‘City of the Sky’ moment in Metroid Prime 2 of which players remember very vividly. Unlike the elemental themes of areas before, the Sanctuary Fortress was technological which felt very fresh. It wasn’t the typical ‘earth, wind, fire, water’ themes we have always seen.

Of the Mario worlds you remember fondly, note how they are never the ‘element’ ones? Gamers remember Giant Land very well! Or even Pipe Land! But gamers do not find Ice Land or Water Land as memorable. Why game designers keep re-using the elements as themes, I have no idea.

Aside from that, a new Super Mario Brothers could bring back the raccoon suit. They could return to Dream Land with the Shy Guys and Birdos and keys and vegetables that was Doki Doki Panic / Super Mario Brothers 2.

Internet play could be explored in the next Super Mario Brothers. How I would be addicted to playing that Mario Brothers battle game (that was in Mario 3) over the Internet!

Having characters of different abilities such as in Super Mario Brothers 2 (Japanese or American version? Yes.) would greatly increase the replayability. I think tons of people want to play as Peach and ‘float’ around.

How about the map becoming larger and more diversified? What if it was more non-linear in that Mario didn’t have to go one direction but could go other directions? But that would be putting Mario into the direction of Zelda and Metroid but it is an idea.

There are so many things that can be done with Super Mario Brothers. But out of anything, the ‘elemental’ worlds need to be retired. We are sick of them, and they are not memorable. We want lands like Giant Land.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

First I should add he's not trying to get the HD games scored lower because he doesn't like them, but because those games are flashy and not timeless, as many of the classic games are the opposite.

Email: Heavy Rain and Metacritic

Hi Sean,

I just started reading your posts about a month or so ago and I just wanted to say I really enjoy reading your thoughts on the world of gaming.

I follow Metacritic not because I want to see what the reviews are for a game I’m looking at purchasing, but because I’m fascinated by how games are received by critics.

I’ve been noticing that there are more and more games these days that receive extremely high Metacritic scores (well into the 90s), as if everything is awesome. The latest game to enter the mid-90s club is Heavy Rain, which you featured on your site some time ago. As of now, it has a Metacritic rating of 93.  What’s more striking to me is not the score, but the review themselves.

Here are some quotes:

“It’s barely a game in the popular sense of the word, but Quantic Dream’s masterpiece makes groundbreaking strides in storytelling and character development, demonstrating that interactive entertainment still has a deep well of untapped potential.”

“For many people Heavy Rain won’t be more than a progression of quick-time-events, but for me this game has everything a great game needs. The thrilling story, the beautiful graphics and the innovative controls will let you play on and on, till you just can’t look any longer into your TV.”

“It’s essentially a nine-hour film that you nudge along by following on-screen button prompts…”

All of these quotes game from reviews of 88 or higher.

So in summary, Heavy Rain is:
- a series of quick time events
- a 9-hour movie
- not a game
- a groundbreaking game

I think this says something about the way outlets review games these days. Here we have a number of outlets basically admitting that there is no gameplay whatsoever, but that the graphics and story are fantastic, and that this merits a high score for what basically amounts to an expensive Choose Your Own Adventure book. I can’t help but think that if this game were on the Wii, and you brushed your teeth by shaking the Wiimote, the critics would be tripping over themselves to pan this game as gimmicky Wii garbage. Is it the fanboy in me or is there a double standard here?

My main concern, however, is that reviewers aren’t really reviewing gameplay anymore, and are instead aggregating a series of scores from graphics, story, music, and then finally gameplay. Occasionally, replay value makes it in. This seems to reward developers who play it safe from a gameplay perspective while upping the graphics and music while punishing those who take risks with the quirky and untested.

I think reviews should simply focus on answering the question: “Is it fun to play?” and also, especially in the era of the Wii/DS expanded audience, “Who might like this game?”
I’d be interested to hear your thoughts on this.
When Wii was launched, Miyamoto made the suggestion that as games are rated for their ‘graphics’, ’sound’, and so on, that ‘ease to new players’ should be one of the criteria. And I agree with him. Why shouldn’t a game be graded on how easy it is for new players to play?

If Miyamoto’s suggestion was taken, all the reviews would flip. Wii games would be scored higher because they are easier for new players to get into. And the HD console games would be scored lower due to how many barriers there are to the new player.

I realize now that this criteria is not applied to books. It would make sense if a book review mentioned how easy the book would be to new readers. Instead, the ‘finest reviewed books’ are those whose writings are wordy with complicated styles that experienced book readers like but new book readers cannot penetrate.

Ironically, the books that age well are the ones that use a simple writing style. Books that use convoluted styles age extremely poorly. Uncle Tom’s Cabin sold very well during its time. Today, the book is unreadable.

It must be so with games. Ultima IV is considered unplayable today and the only people who still play it are those who did so when it was new. Meanwhile, Super Mario Brothers, which came out at the same time, is still played. Hell, Pac-Man is still played. While some people may say I am comparing apples to oranges, can you think of any old game that is still played today that is complicated? They are all simple.

With the Heavy Rain reviews, what is there for me to say? We all know the reviews are Industry influenced. With how many millions games cost, they cannot allow the risk of honest reviews. No, the game must declared ‘perfect’ and ‘amazing’.

I hope this practice continues because the Industry is sticking out more and more. Before, the Industry used to hide itself. The Industry used to pretend that it was gaming itself. But in this generation, especially, more and more gamers can see that the Game Industry is more about the ‘industry’ and not about the ‘game’. And you are not gamers. You are walking wallets.

I'm just going to highlight one line in this post, because I agree with it so strongly. Final Fantasy VII wasn't up his alley, but the cutscenes as a cherry to the RPG action did help sell it. Today we have too many mutant cherries larger than the sundaes. They want us to think we are eating fruit instead of ice cream. We would have ordered fruit salads of that was the case.

Also, the announcement mentioned might have already been made, but this post was a while ago. I'm just putting it here now.

Mark my words: Reginleiv is headed outside Japan

Could the ‘big announcement’ at the Nintendo summit be Reginleiv for overseas? Maybe.

Great merciful Zeus, just look at that packaging!

I have gotten snarky emails like, “Reginleiv is said to have an hour worth of cutscenes. What are you going to do, Malstrom? Hur hur hur…” Well, Pac-Man has cutscenes, and you know what I did? I played the hell out of Pac-Man. This game is so simple in that I instantly understood what it was about. You just cut things to little pieces. That is it. No other BS is in the game. And that is what I want. The cutscenes and all are just the cherry on top. This game is clearly not revolving around the ’story’ or ‘cutscenes’.

The biggest disappointment from Reginleiv is that it is not multiplayer co-op. Alas. But there is online at least.

And as my music section shows, I am a sucker for games with awesome music. I believe music and sound are an extremely important part of a game… perhaps the most important part. And Reginleiv has one ROCKING soundtrack!

Reader, stop reading and start listening. Ahh, good music… an element that has been missing in many modern games.

Around the Network

Okay, the last couple paragraphs do come across as arrogant. But I have to add that the gaming press is no better. Unless they stop acting like a-holes about Nintendo, I say Malstrom has a right to be an a-hole to those people and the game industry (they set the example for two console gens already).

NPD January 2010: Celebrate! Industry continues its decline!

BTW, you notice the Gametrailers minions still trying to peddle in the NPD NeoGAF thread that Reggie “lost” the sales bet solely based on a Geoff K twitter? Pathetic when you consider there is video of the exchange which shows Geoff K typically trying to talk over the guest (and now imagining answers that were never said). You guys at Gametrailers are a pretty sad bunch. Note how there are so many interests in the Industry trying to push a narrative regardless of the facts. They do not consider you to be an intelligent being as they believe you can easily be manipulated. Typical Industry thinking.

PlayStation 2 41.6K
PlayStation 3 276.9K
PSP 100.1K
Xbox 360 332.8K
Wii 465.8K
Nintendo DS 422.2K

NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. WII WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA Nov-09 656.7K
MASS EFFECT 2* 360 ELECTRONIC ARTS Jan-10 572.1K
WII FIT PLUS W/ BALANCE BOARD* WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA Oct-09 555.7K
CALL OF DUTY: MODERN WARFARE 2* 360 ACTIVISION BLIZZARD Nov-09 326.7K
MARIO KART W/ WHEEL WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA Apr-08 310.9K
SPORTS RESORT W/ WII MOTION PLUS* WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA Jul-09 297.6K
CALL OF DUTY: MODERN WARFARE 2* PS3 ACTIVISION BLIZZARD Nov-09 259.0K
ARMY OF TWO: THE 40TH DAY 360 ELECTRONIC ARTS Jan-10 246.5K
JUST DANCE WII UBISOFT Nov-09 191.9K
DARKSIDERS 360 THQ Jan-10 171.2k

It is going to be fun to watch people frustratingly, and with a growl in their words, report that Wii sales are growing year over year in a few months. The Wii was sold out since launch until the first few months of 2009. Then, the sales began to drop. The Wii should be able to beat those declined sales numbers. We may be seeing a point where the Wii sales going up with Xbox 360 and PS3 sales going down YOY. But that can only begin in a few months from now.

To set this NPD up, let us go back a few months. And let us pretend you are an Industry analyst.

The PS3 slim and price cut boosts PS3 sales skyward. As an Industry analyst, you have orgasms that PS3 is selling so well especially that it is outselling the Xbox 360. Wii sales continued their decline also to your great excitement. The gravestones began to be made for the Wii. Stories were written about the bursting of the ‘casual bubble’. “Nintendo should have stuck to the hardcore,” people wrote.

Nintendo does what the analysts desire and cuts the price on the Wii. It has little effect. The decline in momentum continued. And then the Industry flagship game, Modern Warfare 2, released to massive sales numbers.

As an Industry analyst, you are feeling orgasmic. Wii was in decline, Modern Warfare 2 was doing great, but what really put the spring in your step was the greatly improved momentum of the PS3. Finally! 2010 was going to be the year of the PS3!

When Mario 5 comes out, the Wii just rockets up during the holidays. But you ignore that because it is “LOL a Mario game”. No analyst, to my knowledge, has commented on the strange and bizarre nature of how a side scrolling 2d game can sell so much in today’s age. But the analysts were so excited about the PS3. PS3 sales were doing very well.

As January rolled around, analysts were high fiving one another as they heard reports of the PS3 stock being ’strained’ and in ’short supply’. Man, oh man, January NPD was going to show the PS3 doing gangbusters!

You may think I am lying and just yanking your chain by saying our beloved analysts thought this. But let me give you some recent statements by Michael Pachter for example:

-Wii sold well in December only due to a cost reduction deal from Wal-Mart. (No mention of Mario 5. And if Wal-Mart deals were why the Wii sold well, then why is the Wii sold out everywhere?)

-When PS3 lowers its price, it takes away Wii sales. (yes, he said this)

-PS3 sales did not come down from its price cut high. Instead, PS3 momentum is continuing and even building!

BAM! I am anxious to see how our ‘analysts’ spin January NPD 2010. And the ‘decline’ year over year is continuing (thank goodness!). Clearly, the Wii is now supply restrained as the system is sold out. This shows there has been a resurgence in demand for the console.

But what has to be soul breaking for the analysts (if they had a soul to break) would be the decline in PS3 sales. Xbox 360 was not supposed to outsell the PS3 this month, folks. The PS3 sales coming back to Earth illustrates that the PS3 Slim and price cut had nothing but a temporary effect.

Keep in mind that what many analysts say these days are not their genuine thoughts. They are intentionally distorting the true picture of the market in order to paint an Industry centric narrative. This is why they do not comment on the sales of NSMB Wii despite its massive presence (and how radical it is for a 2d game to move in such volume in this day and age). This is why the only commentary they do for the Wii is to pick a niche Core game that has been out for only a week and declare its lack of sales as “utter proof that Core games don’t sell on Wii”. Or they say, “PS3 and Xbox 360 shows year over year sales increase!” without mentioning the year over year price decrease.

Here is the big picture: Core Gaming is dying. The Xbox 360 and PS3 are cannibalizing one another’s market. When one console goes up, the other goes down, in a type of see-saw ride. What is moving the two systems up a little is their rapidly falling prices (soon, the Wii will be more expensive than the HD twins if the Wii holds to its price) as well as both the HD Twins eating the PS2 corpse.

The PS2 is dying. And, yet, the massive PS2 sales numbers of the previous generation are not transferring over to the PS3 and Xbox 360. What happened to all these gamers? They are not on the Wii because at least half of the Wii is Expanded Audience (i.e. didn’t buy a PS2). Where did all these gamers go?

“The HD consoles need to cut the price. Then the PS2 gamers will transfer over.”

Not happening.

The fantastic news is that the Industry continues to decline. Core gaming is disintegrating before our eyes. People point to a few blockbuster titles like Modern Warfare 2 or Mass Effect 2, but look beyond that. The non-blockbuster titles are just dying out there. In times of disinterest, people tend to huddle around a few tent pole games. And I expect games like Mass Effect 2 to vanish from sales charts in a month or two to never return again. Look at GTA IV. The game cost $100 million to make. It is currently $20 and no one is buying it. Meanwhile, Mario Kart Wii is still in the best seller’s chart and still costs $50. Core Games just cannot hold their value.

The question is not how to sell hardcore games on the Wii. The question is how to sell to the Expanded Audience on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. Unless Microsoft or Sony are able to sell to the Expanded Markert, their goose is cooked as their systems will become for niche gamers (and no one is in the console market to become a ‘niche’ player). Both Microsoft and Sony realize this which is why they have Natal and Arc coming. But the Expanded Audience is going to be a much tougher sell than they think.

What is going to make these executives cry is when they realize the Expanded Market consists of millions of Sean Malstroms. They have written this site off as some deranged Nintendo fan site. But what if it is an accurate representation of the expectations and demands many in the Expanded Audience have?

Nothing scares them so much that the road to the Expanded Market goes through Sean Malstrom. They will have to sell to jaded gamers like myself. And you can see why both of them are stuck in a shrinking box and cannot get out.

Or to twist an often repeated phrase when this generation began: New Generation doesn’t begin until I say it does.

Here he gets to what I call "high naturally". Not the "natural high" crap people try to peddle. I mean a drug trip without the drugs, the way Chester A. Bum describes the Speed Racer movie.

Oh, and the first part of his reply seems to dodge the question, but he's giving context for Metroid Prime when he discusses the first game.

Email: Why do you think Metroid Prime was successful?

Hello.

I noticed you pointed out that Metroid Prime is the highest selling title in the series, and that you believe there will be a lot of interest Metroid Prime Trilogy in the future to come. But to my mind, Metroid Prime is a very sophisticated title. It seems to emphasise full immersion in the virtual world, what with the heavy emphasis on scanning to express the game’s narrative, as well as the focus on exploration that is in many respects time-consuming for the player.

What is your take on the success of Metroid Prime, and why do you think its sequels haven’t sold so much? I’m particularly interested in Metroid Prime 3, because from my personal experience, it seemed to reject the immersive nature of its predecessor in favour of a stronger roleplay-orientation.

Thanks very much for a response.

I think this is the wrong question. The right question was why was Metroid, for the NES, originally successful? Who bought this game? The game wasn’t exactly kid friendly and wasn’t a family type of game. The guy in charge of RPGs in the old PC Gamer magazines used to say that he bought a NES for Metroid, a Gameboy for Metroid II, and a Super Nintendo for Super Metriod. The audience for Metroid is clearly older than Super Mario Brothers and even Zelda.

As gaming is teetering on the abyss of becoming irrelevant, I see it as the job for the elder gamers to attempt to articulate how and why the original classics sold. What was the original consumer experience to these games?

Let us look at the original Metroid. I reject the premise that has been popularized by lollipop “game journalists” in San Francisco that the consumer experience of Metroid is defined only to the buzzwords of ‘exploration’ and ‘aloneness’. Hell, Super Mario Brothers had exploration and aloneness as did Zelda. People will likely disagree with the below. But I will tell you what I believe was the original consumer experience of Metroid.

Note that it says ‘adventure series’ and that it is a ‘password pak’. Passwords were pretty new in games and were greatly increasing the size. These password games had far more content in them than your non-password games understandably.

In order to understand the consumer experience of original Metroid, you need to look at the environment at the time (of the games that came out before it as well as what was going on with the NES).

Super Mario Brothers had stunned everyone. Mario Mania was in full gear. There are many reasons why Super Mario Brothers was successful, but one of the most curious experiences the game did was to create a trippy feeling.

The Warp Zones were all the rage with Super Mario Brothers. Everyone was trying to find more warp zones. People were convinced that Minus World led somewhere. But if you look at the video, imagine how trippy and bizarre this had to have been in 1986.

The first warp zone in 1-2 has Mario run ON THE CEILING. The problem is that Mario is UNDERGROUND. How can you run on the ceiling while being underground? You can’t. But in the world of video games, you can. And this is why video games are magical. The beanstalk in 4-2 had a similar trippy feeling where a beanstalk comes from nowhere in the underground that leads to giant mushrooms in the clouds. WTF? hahaha. Minus World was, also, extremely trippy in that Mario literally WENT THROUGH A WALL and went BACKWARDS in the level count. And Minus World never ended. It made no sense! Yet, it was all part of the masterful trippy experience that was Super Mario Brothers.

The Warp Zone was understood to be part of the consumer experience. So the Warp Zones appeared in Super Mario Brothers 2 (both Japan and Western). Super Mario Brothers 2 USA was very trippy experience too with the magical doors, Birdo (WTF was with Birdo? hahaha), throwing turnips (!!!), and so on. Super Mario Brothers 3 warp zones were becoming meh with the exception of the one in 1-3 where you go BEHIND the white block and run in the background. WTF! hahahaha. The Warp Zone experience in Super Mario World was considered fairly lame. And I think Mario 5 disappoints with the Warp Zones. Giant cannons that are nothing more than special exits? This is stupid. I prefer the more ‘trippy’ warp zones of the past. It was completely mindblowing to run on a ceiling when underground or climbing a beanstalk from nowhere or running through a wall.

Many of the NES games succeeded because of this trippy feeling. The game was a huge “WTF!” magical experience. They were not ‘logical’ yet they were so much fun. Much of the charm in the original Legend of Zelda had many of those moments such as bombing a wall and a hole would appear! Or burning a bush and there was the dungeon! Or going up and up and up again in the mountains to get to the next screen but only go down once to get to the next screen. The game was bizarro world.

The NES game developers appeared to understand this trippyness and would constantly toy with the NES consumer. Games that came out later in the NES would toy with the consumer by having the player run on the ceiling (Battle of Olympus), constantly going through a wall somewhere (I believe Ninja Gaiden had this element in it). The earlier Mega Man games were very trippy experiences (thanks in major part of their music). In Bubble Man’s stage, you are fighting mechanical shrimp. WTF? You have to go across invisible holes in Wily’s castle. A giant mechanical dragon appears from nowhere in one stage. Wily turns into an alien but then it is a holographic simulation. The NES games constantly kept toying with the player’s context.

Zelda II is probably one of the most trippy Zeldas ever made. Link walks on water (!). Link has to defeat one boss just by standing there and bouncing the boss’s attacks with his shield (!) (This was not normally done then!). Link could turn into a fairy and fly around (!). In Palace 5, Link has to walk through walls. Palace 6 is literally invisible and must be ’summoned’ into existence. And the Final Palace is trippiness on steroids. Nothing makes much sense in that place. It was really an out of this world experience which is what made the classics so… classic. Falling into holes would kill you in Zelda 2. But you HAVE to fall into a hole in order to proceed. The weakest creature in the game, a bit, becomes gigantic at the end (a huge WTF moment). The final boss of the game is Link battling his own shadow. Now does that make any sense? How do you battle your own shadow? When I first battled Shadow Link, I was just stunned. WTF is happening!? Hahahaha.

Now we can begin looking at Metroid, the trippyiest of all NES games.

Metroid games have always been a triumph in sound and symphony. The games are very strong on the aural experience. The ‘intro’ is pretty trippy. Flashing lights, WTF is with those pyramids, and the ’story’ is to defeat “Mother Brain”. What the hell?

Now let’s play!

The practical choir like music when Samus appears is totally trippy as is the surrounding environment. Are you in a temple of something? What in the world!?

Most games could only scroll one way. So most people likely went to the right. And they would get stuck at the wall with the small hole in the bottom (with a critter clearly crawling in it). And so the player would have to go back and eventually find the morph ball powerup that is on the left side of the starting screen. The player adjusting his game style to move LEFT as well as right was somewhat trippy. You have not really seen this in a game before!

But the morph ball… The morph ball made no sense. WTF is your space marine turning into a ball!? That made no sense!!! But it is what it was. And then the player is able to go through the hole. What happens next? The player begins to climb.

The long vertical shafts and the player climbing constantly upward or falling downward was pretty mindblowing. Games just didn’t do this type of thing.

The environments you went into made no sense. Why were those bugs constantly flying out of pipes? And the sounds the enemies made when you shot them. *twoo* *twoo* *twoo* Why did the bat things explode? Why did the crawler guys have spiky hair?

Zelda made sense in that you clearly knew you were in a graveyard or a forest or a dungeon. But Metroid made no sense as the environments defied description. And there was no logical way to go. You could go up. You could go down. You could go left. You could go right.

The new powerups only added more to the trippiness. Suddenly, you had bombs. What the hell? Why can you only bomb when you are a ball? You quickly learned you can bomb yourself up using bomb blasts. Crazy stuff. The missiles were pretty standard fare in games already. The screw attack was pretty warped. But what really stood out beyond everything was the ice beam.

The idea of freezing your enemies and using them as platform had not really been done before. At least, it was never done to become essential to the game. It was freakishly cool to freeze your enemies in mid-air and then use them to help get over the lava.

The idea that you could bomb areas that you passed over in the beginning of the game to reach new places blew away players’ minds. There were many places where a power up was hidden in a block that made no sense. Why was an energy tank hidden in a ceiling near the entrance? The game constantly warped the mind.

One thing that younger gamers cannot appreciate was just how terrifying and scary Kraid and Ridley were in the original Metroid. No one understood who or exactly what these guys were. But they would kill you pretty fast (as most people didn’t know where to find all the power-ups). Kraid had a FAKE boss! How crazy is that? I can’t think of any game prior that had FAKE BOSSES. The game kept the player moving in circles. Metroid was like walking through a room of mirrors. Nothing made much sense.

You know how a good book would keep a reader glued by having plot twist after plot twist? Metroid kept gamers glued because it kept having mind warp after mind warp. THAT was the purpose of the power-ups and non-linear design. I don’t buy any of this ‘exploration’ and ‘grocery list of powerups to make through the obstacle course’. No. Each and every step in Metroid confused the mind even further and kept challenging the player’s context. When you got the ice beam, for example, the entire game phase shifted on you. When you got bombs and could blow up the blocks, the game phase shifted on you.The context of the game literally warped before your eyes. So when the gamer was done playing Metroid, the fireworks were still exploding in the mind.

And talk about a mind warp when, at the end of Metroid, you discover the space marine was a girl! This ‘Samus as chick’ thing is a good illustration as to why the original Metroid was a series of trippy explosions.

When you look at the ending of Metroid, again, the game makes no sense. The final battle and the force fields, attacking a giant brain in a tank, and the twist at the end with the ‘emergency evacuation’ completely warped the mind. And Samus becoming a girl at the end was a fitting end to this trippy adventure!

Now, let us look at the Metroid games that came afterward.

Metroid II was quite a feat when you consider the Gameboy games at the time. The game was extremely scary. However, it wasn’t as trippy. The trippiest moments in Metroid II would be when you got the Spider Ball (and were running around on the ceilings. WTF!?) or when you watched Metroids evolve before your eyes to something bigger and nastier. The queen Metroid was pretty cool. There is much silence in the game which would punctuate when your headphones screamed the Metroid attack song when you accidentally wandered to where a Metroid was hiding. Metroid II is the scariest Metroid game ever made. And while people complain about how it wasn’t as non-linear, remember that it was on hardware inferior to the NES. Cut it some slack. It was warmly received at the time. We had no expectation then that a Gameboy game was going to surpass the NES one. At that time, we were excited that we could play Metroid wherever we wanted because it was now on a portable!

Super Metroid was very different from the original Metroid and, when it came out, was somewhat disappointing. Super Metroid was a triumph in production features especially the aural experience. But Super Metroid was extremely easy. And Super Metroid was never a trippy experience. There were a few moments such as when you powerbomb the pipe in Maridia that shattered the glass or using the grappling beam to kill the Maridia boss. I recall the grappling beam being extremely well liked. The idea of swinging around in those massive Maridia environments was very cool. Super Metroid screwed up on other levels such as the Wall Jumping which was horribly implemented. The enemies in Metroid were deadly. In Super Metroid, they act little more than just obstacles as you run from Point A to Point B.

The emphasis on the production features (e.g. the sublime music) and the game being so extremely easy is why the game somewhat disappointed back in 1994 but is the same reason why Super Metroid has aged like wine. Today, people want their games to be easier. And Super Metroid has production features that are far and above other 16-bit games at the time which makes Super Metroid stand out.

The most successful thing Super Metroid did was the diversity of environments to create unique atmospheres. Blizzard revealed in a podcast that Diablo 2 sold so well due to the diversity of environments. This cuts down on repetition. Super Metroid ingeniously had very, very different environments which eliminated much of the repetition. The rain and open area around your spaceship to the gentler underground of Brinstar to the hell like areas of Norfair to the creepy and sparking technological Wrecked Ship to the watery and cavernous areas of Maridia all really resonated well.

Now we get to Metroid Prime.

Metroid Prime successfully combined the strengths of both NES Metroid and SNES Super Metroid.

I have always been confused as to why Super Metroid lovers do not like Metroid Prime. The game is practically Super Metroid in 3d. Metroid Prime is a triumph of production values especially of sound. The game sounds wonderful.

Metroid Prime successfully incorporates the full diversity of environments. For the most part, the player isn’t in ‘awe’ as all the environments he has seen in previous Metroid games. And then, he gets to Phenandra Drifts.

So while Metroid Prime carried the strengths of Super Metroid, what about NES Metroid? The entire move into 3d allowed a series of trippy experiences. For example, think of the morph ball. It is very different in 3d! It is like Marble Madness in a way. Moving on a Z axis was also pretty trippy. A good example of this trippiness would be shooting a missile and the explosion would be close to you where you could see the reflection of Samus’s pretty face in the face plate. Or the different visior views that ‘phase shifted’ the environment you were in. Who knew there was an invisible monster there!

I’ve noticed all series seem to get a bump in sales when they first make the switch to 3d. Metroid is no exception. So that has to be factored in.

Metroid Prime does appeal to those who go into Metroid with NES Metroid as well as those who appreciate Super Metroid. Where Metroid Prime seems to be having problems with are the kids who grew up with Super Metroid and did not play Metroid NES or Metroid II on Gameboy. I believe this is because Metroid Prime is closer to the difficulty of NES Metroid than SNES Super Metroid. The game is not very accessible either. But neither was NES Metroid.

Metroid Prime 2 was very samey. The awe of Metroid in 3d cannot be replicated in a sequel. So it lacked the awe. And Metroid Prime 2 was extremely challenging. People found the first Prime to be hard. But Prime 2 was VERY hard. Spider ball boss anyone? Boost Guardian anyone? The alternate dimension really made the game more confusing.

I actually like Metroid Prime 2 very much. I can’t wait to replay it.

As for Metroid Prime 3, I have only begun playing it as I recently bought the Trilogy. I will let you know later what I think of it. So far, I am not impressed with the ‘intro’ of the game and I find it incredibly stale and lame. Get this Halo garbage out of Metroid, please.

I am a fan of Metroid Hunters as well. Phenomenal DS game whose problem is that hand cramps prevent me from playing. I really love Metroid Prime Pinball as well.

The only Metroids I thought were really bad were Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission. The only saving grace to those games is the 2d gameplay. However, much of it is grounded in the Super Metroid shadow, i.e. the ‘exploration’ and ‘powerup to open up new area’. I don’t agree this often quoted mantra by game journalists IS the Metroid experience. Just because that was the experience of Super Metroid doesn’t mean it is the Metroid experience. I look very lowly on those who refuse to enter NES Metroid or Gameboy Metroid into their Metroid analysis. NES Metroid is the most important as that is the game that started it all. It must be the focal point of analysis.

Metroid Fusion had a really crappy story. I mean, the story was so awful that not even Sakamoto has dared to make a ‘Metroid 5′ continuing with the horrible Fusion suit. Sakamoto really destroyed any sort of ‘timeline’ with Metroid Fusion. After Fusion, every Metroid game that comes out is now a ‘prequel’ because he screwed it up so bad.

Zero Mission was a remake of NES Metroid and I consider it a massive failure. What Zero Mission did was apply the Super Metroid template to the original Metroid, i.e. exploration and ‘powerup to open next level’. But this completely misses the trippy nature of NES Metroid. This is why the GBA NES Metroid completely floored Zero Mission. NES Metroid was surreal. Zero Mission was just lame.

The only saving grace of Zero Mission was Samus being abducted at the end and running around in her Zero suit. THAT was interesting. THAT was surprising. It was far more interesting than anything else in that game. The anime cut scenes in Zero Mission were horrendous.

It is surprising that no one talks about the trippiness and surreal nature that defined the original Metroid. However, considering that those who belong to the cult of “Super Metroid is the best game ever made and you are not allowed to disagree” tend to shout down anyone who has a differing view (which would include pretty much older people who played NES Metroid in the late 80s), it is not surprising that the definition of Metroid has remained ‘exploration’ and ‘power-ups-to-open-new areas’.

In order for Metroid to remain relevant, it is going to have to embrace its trippy like nature and revel in the game not being explained. This is why I believe Sakamoto trying to ‘explain everything in Metroid through bad manga’ is going to present an Anti-Metroid experience. Imagine if Miyamoto explained the ‘Warp Zones’ in Super Mario Brothers via cutscenes in a future Mario game. It would be taking AWAY from the experience and ruining the magic.

Email: About Zero Mission

Hi Mr. Malstrom,

I am by no means a crazy Metroid fan, but your latest blog post left me feeling compelled to white-knight for Zero Mission momentarily since it’s probably my second-favorite of the 4 or so Metroid games I’ve actually played. I’m sure that a big part of my affection for it is due to  my parents insisting that video games were bad for you throughout my childhood (meaning I never actually got to play through the original at my own pace and instead only got to play it in spurts at friends’ houses), but in my experience the added refinements like more discernable blocks, a helpful optional hint system, and most importantly the control tweaks which minimize the amount of pausing and switching weapons were a godsend. I noticed that you didn’t mention any of these in your blog post (and not without reason, since I guess they didn’t really have anything to do with creating the atmosphere [with the possible exception of the hint statues, although again those were purely optional]), but I’d be curious to hear about whether they contributed to your negative opinion of the game; if anything, I would have guessed that you would have appreciated the effort being put towards making the game more accessible to new players.

Thanks, and please keep up the good work on the blog!

I’ve gotten several emails on this. Let me ask you a question.

Why has there been no 2d Metroid for the Wii, DS, or WiiWare/DSWare? Even if something is announced at E3 2010, Nintendo is certainly dragging their feet. 2d Metroid would have a perfect fit on the Wii or especially on the DS with its SNES like button configuration and the second screen showing the map.

The reason why there is no new 2d Metroid is because of Zero Mission. Zero Mission did not do its job in the sales.

I remember the old Metroids and remember why they originally found fans. Zero Mission did not even get anywhere near the awe and wonder the older Metroids did at the time of their release. Worse, Zero Mission didn’t seem to be trying.

Zero Mission felt, to me, like a reboot to get the series in line with the “new vision of Metroid”. And as I watched the awful cutscenes (and they really are awful as seen below), the “new vision of Metroid” is not the surreal and trippy Metroid but the bad manga as Metroid.

Above: WTF is this shit? And why is this completely unnecessary and badly made cutscene injected into Metroid?

As I played through Zero Mission, I said to myself: “This is not the Metroid experience.” Why is Samus all ninja like? You have Samus grasping cliffs with her hands to the Zero Suit experience at the end that is more stealth than anything. The game just felt wrong.

When you talk of accessible, there is no more accessible Metroid game than Super Metroid as it is the easiest of all Metroid games. You don’t have to draw a map (as you did in I and II). You don’t have to navigate 3d arenas in the Prime games (which is difficult for new people).

Why was Metroid even remade in the first place? There has been a remake of Metroid. It is called Super Metroid. There was no reason for Zero Mission to be a Metroid remake at all. Why not make Metroid 5 instead of a reboot? Oh, that’s right. Sakamoto made a train wreck of the Metroid storyline in Metroid Fusion.

You know the anger you have when someone reboots a TV show or movie that you really liked? That is what Zero Mission feels like to me. Why not leave NES Metroid alone? Remember, NES Metroid didn’t have a story line so why in the world was it remade? Could Sakamoto be so vain to rewrite the series in his vision? At the time, I never knew about Sakamoto, but I definitely felt someone was injecting their ‘vision’ over original Metroid. And this ‘new Metroid’ really sucked. Where was the trippyness? Why all these horrible cutscenes?

I’m no fan of Zero Mission. But apparently, neither is the rest of the market. Despite NES Metroid being unlockable, everyone bought the GBA version of NES Metroid instead of Zero Mission. I can’t blame them. I wish I just stuck to the NES Metroid instead of playing the game through Sakamoto’s “vision”. It felt like I needed to take a shower afterward. Yech.

BTW, he's not claiming businesses are comparable to Monopoly. He's using that game strictly for context.

Email: Any truth to this article?

http://www.newsweek.com/id/233131/page/1

If you are going to read business, look at a business publication. Newsweek is absolute garbage. It is nothing but fluff. And it is why the paper is in steep, steep decline. Like a stubborn journalist, instead of changing their ways as their publication enters decline, they double down on it. In other words, there has been less ‘news’ and more and more editorializing. What you linked to me was actually an editorial, not a news story. And it was a poor editorial at that.

The comparisons in the piece are laughable. Comparing a disruptive company like Southwest Airlines to the other airline companies? That is like comparing Nintendo to EA and Take 2. Sure, they are all video game companies, but they are nothing alike.

The real question is not the lay offs but the hiring freezes going on throughout businesses everywhere. If you ask the decision makers why they are freezing on hiring, you will get the same answer again and again.

Businesses do not live in the present. They live in the future. They must invest and figure out how to pay for the next four years, the next ten years, and the next twenty years.

An extremely important part of the financial side is the legal side. When laws change, so does the financial landscape. What might have been the rules a year ago may be something very different. So businesses adjust.

Imagine you are playing Monopoly. And then comes some kid who takes the back of the box (that has the rules), and begins to write brand new rules! Suddenly, Boardwalk has the value of Madison Avenue. The prices of red hotels change. Chance cards become altered. In this situation, what would the player do? The player would sit it out waiting for the kid to be done with the changes and so the player can understand the new rules of the game.

Businesses like stability. When there is legal chaos going on, as there is now in America, businesses will just sit it out and go on a hiring freeze. If a business has no idea what the legal landscape will be in a few years, they will just wait it out. This is why you don’t see businesses want to adventure to nations with unstable governments.

Until the legal environment becomes stable, businesses won’t start hiring.

Once again, in case anyone thinks I'm post spamming, that's not the case. Until I can be sure separate quotes code won't be misread and made into a quote train, I'm just doing one article a post.

“Everything you now is wrong!”; Radical to speak at GDC

Oh no! A radical is going to speak at GDC.

Above: A radical

And now, trusting reader, you are asking why I am calling Sid Meir a radical? Why, it is because of what he is going to say. Take a look:

"When designing a game, particularly one based on real-world or historical topics, it might seem that hard facts, physical principles, painstaking research, and mathematical formulas would provide the foundation for a successful game. Wrong. These and many other seemingly useful tools will have to take a back seat to the real driving force in game design: the psychology of the player. Gameplay is a psychological experience: it’s all in your head. The vagaries of human psychology define your game more than the laws of physics or algebra. Egomania, Paranoia, Delusion – these are tools to be wielded with precision and care. For the player, perception is reality and the center of the universe is right here. As we follow this reasoning to its logical conclusion we discover a number of amazing things, among them: everyone is above average, 2/1 is not equal to 20/10, and the player is his/her own worst enemy."

Oh my! What is Sid saying here? Can you imagine all these middle age game developers having heart attacks in the middle of Sid’s speech? The psychology of the gamer? Oh dear.

But what Sid is going to say is not new. Much of this was the belief structure of Dani Bunton, one of the old era pioneers.

It will be interesting to hear what Sid Meir has to say.