By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Will sony make the biggest turn around in gaming history?!?!?!

Regardless, any victory from Sony is a pyrrhic victory at this point.  I somehow incorrectly assumed that they would have alienated their userbase by now.  If I paid $600+ for something that I could get for $400 a year later, I would be so po'd (Assuming Backwards compat is a non issue).  I guess early adopters are used to being screwed. 

I want a PS3, but I am not going to risk buying it now when the machine seems to get a new SKU and price drop every 5 months.  I am surprised so many people are doing so. 

I'd like to see them succeed, but I am not going to help bail them out.  I'll let others decide its fate with their hard earned money. 

Around the Network

Sony already made the biggest turnaround in gaming history ... blowing the market domination it created with the PS2 and now playing catch up with the 360 ....

But concerning this holiday season - the 360 still outsold the PS3 by 300K units in October and by 39K (or about 29% of PS3 total sales for the week) in the last week of October so the gap is getting larger not smaller in terms of installed base.

Can the PS3 outsell the 360 for a week or two or maybe a whole month (November or December) .... possibel but the sales trend doesn't support that outcome.

On a side note VG has overestimated PS3 sales and underestimated 360 sales for July, August and September (compared to NPD) so I fully expect to see 360 numbers adjusted up by 10% for October and PS3 to be adjusted down by 15% for October ...

ioi - "I have always endorsed NPD and have always conceded that their figures are obviously far more accurate than ours ..." - Posted on: 06/14/07, 22:22

http://www.vgchartz.com/news/news.php?id=355

Nope because Nintendo has made the biggest turn around in gaming history.

From the dark days of the gamecube to the phenominom that is DS/Wii.

Anyways I still think the PS3 will come a good 2nd and they could reclaim the number one spot with the PS4, who knows.

call me Aaronbunny!

Wii code: 6993 4542 2457 6182. plz add me Im a wiily gd friend

I don't know. Maybe...

Right now though it seems like Sony is doing everything they can to sacrifice long term sales to boost short term sales.

I think they are panicing too much. The new USA adds seem more like "Energize your base" adds instead of "Get people who want a Wii or 360 to change their mind and get PS3" adds.

The cut down to the 40 gig only seems like a move to just sell the 60's at the cost of PR if they bring another higher model with BC to europe. (Since they said they had no plans to.) Or if they just don't and keep the 40 gig there only they are sacrificing console sales to boost software sales... which seems... weird. I mean it's good when your the market leader, but when your as far behind as sony is that's just a losing duck and cover strategy.

Maybe there plan is to just scarifice the longterm sales to get a giant boost of momentum and hope the momentum causes them to make back their long term sales.

Wingshot said:
Sony already made the biggest turnaround in gaming history ... blowing the market domination it created with the PS2 and now playing catch up with the 360 ....

But concerning this holiday season - the 360 still outsold the PS3 by 300K units in October and by 39K (or about 29% of PS3 total sales for the week) in the last week of October so the gap is getting larger not smaller in terms of installed base.

Can the PS3 outsell the 360 for a week or two or maybe a whole month (November or December) .... possibel but the sales trend doesn't support that outcome.

On a side note VG has overestimated PS3 sales and underestimated 360 sales for July, August and September (compared to NPD) so I fully expect to see 360 numbers adjusted up by 10% for October and PS3 to be adjusted down by 15% for October ...

Ouch.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

Around the Network

Didint notice :D

The article refers to vgchartz numbers :D

Any how, I do think sony will make a comeback next year, but I doubt the ps3 can manage to take 2nd by then end of 08. I am hoping sales explode, I seem to enjoy playing warhawk with friends as oppose to some strange poeple on the other side of the planet...

Europe is sony's without a doubt. So is japan(talking 360 vs ps3) still its not enough for them to take out the 360.

2008 end of year predictions:

PS3: 22M

360: 25M

wii: 40M

Probably not, but the most accurate answer is, I really don`t Know...

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."

I see Sony making it to 2nd., but def. not 1st. Nintendo has this generation and it is for the best. Sony has made too mistakes this gen. and I think they have been humbled enough to realize that brand name alone will not get them the market share they once had. Maybe next gen Sony can make up for it and regain the top spot. I believe I am already excited to see what happens next gen. haha

The thing is that the article's title lost me right there. The PS3 has had lackluster sales for less than a year. Nintendo has had decreasing sales since the end of the 4th gen. For Sony's sake, I hope they don't have a bigger turnaround then Nintendo, as that would put their game division in dire straits before it happened.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Astrodust said:
I still see Nintendo winning the holidays this year. By winning Christmas they will have the momentum to carry them into 2008. Free publicity and such combined with Wiifit, SSBB, and Mario Kart means Nintendo will make news at least until the middle of next year. I think Sony will get a boost once GTA4, and MGS4 comes out but I still have 2008 going to Nintendo. I do see Sony winning 2009 with the release of FF13.

So you think PS3 will win cuzz of FFXIII?!... Pfff, why do u guys really think that game is gonna make such big waves in the industry to carry the PS3 through the year with elevated sales and let it win...?! I don't see Mario pumping Wii sales THAT much that it really is gonna make a diference by half a million. Or Halo 3 for that matter... It didn't elevate the X360's hardware sales THAT MUCH... C'mon now, for real... If FXIII were to pump PS3 sales... It would put them somewhere into the 100.000 for first week or something... Nothing mindblowing like 0.5-1 mil to let it be the winner for 2009... Why are u guys so ignorant?!

And btw: FF and DQ games sell the most in Japan (and FF in America) and Japan 1st week is mindblowing high (SOFTWARE WISE... NOT THE HARDWARE ON WHICH THE GAME RELEASES) and 2nd week drop-off can be as high as 75%...

THE NETHERLANDS