By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Top 10 Reasons why you should read reviews but ignore the scores.

i agree with mr. erik aston. saying one game is a 8.9 and another is a 8.7 doesn't really matter cuz when anyone tries to bring their review of a game down to such a detailed and miniscule level the score is gonna be very subjective. i think something a bit broader like 1 through 5, but maybe with 4.5 added in to differentiate from great games and games that are like genre defining. so like 1 sucks, 2 is bad but some people might like it okay, 3 is a pretty solid game but with some pretty big flaws, 4 is good to very good, 4.5 is amazing, and 5 is like zelda OoT, mario 64, ff3/7 type of score. anything more detailed than that really lets in a lot of bias and subjective scoring that doesn't mean anything to the very varied gaming crowd. and also its pretty easy to say game A is slightly better than game B scored 8.1 so i'll score game A 8.3. but then on a different day you have a particularly fun time playing game B and you realize maybe it is a little better than game A. basically it doesn't matter, on the scoring system above they'd both be a 4 and you'd know its a good game and if it sounds interesting or you like similar games then its worth buying.

with a less detailed scoring system there are less personal preferences of the reviewer that finds its way into the score cuz theres a very limited number of scores to give and so the score will more likely match up with the majority of gamers out there.

end of '08 predictions: wii - 43 million,  360 - 25 million, ps3 - 20 million

Games I've beat recently: Super Mario Galaxy, Knights of the Old Republic, Shadow of the Collossus

Proud owner of wii, gamecube, xbox, ps2, dreamcast, n64, snes, genesis, 3DO, nes, atari, intellivision, unisonic tournament 2000, and gameboy

Around the Network

I'm the opposite Shambolic, I hate any review that is out of just 10. This is because there is more of a tendancy to give many games 10/10.

10/10 = 100% = perfect. When I see some games given 10/10 it makes my blood boil to no end. The difference between 97% and 10/10 is that there is room for improvement. 10/10 should mean the game is perfect, it couldn't be better. I cannot see how that could be said about the games getting 10/10 scores these days.

One review is meaningless, but the average of a compilation of many reviews, has more meaning.

I relate to #9 the most. :(

@RCTjunkie

I think most people tend to think #1 about other people =)

To Each Man, Responsibility
Around the Network

@ Sqrl

That is true. Also I will start doing #2 more.

Edit: Wait a minute.......

Reading a review but ignoring the score is like chatting up a girl but ignoring her...

fkusumot said:

Reading a review but ignoring the score is like chatting up a girl but ignoring her...

According to most stereotypes that is an effective strategy =P

To Each Man, Responsibility
Galaki said:
#11. Scores aren't based on FUN.

Games are not alway based on fun...