By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why Do SE Refuse to Remake FF VII?

Majin-Tenshinhan said:

That doesn't really help though, because no matter how many people played the game, Square only profit from the ones who paid for it. Piracy is not an excuse - I'm sure a lot of people downloaded the game, but many of those probably wouldn't have bought the game to begin with. I'm a pirate (though not really when it comes to games), and if I got blocked off from downloading something I probably wouldn't get it anyway, because I only downloaded it because I wasn't willing to pay for it.

Putting that aside, you know graphics are what cost, right? Concept Art, Story Design and all that already being done really doesn't change much at all. The graphics are what costs, especially since it's HD which ramps up the costs greatly. Development budget of a FFVII remake would be near identical to that of a regular FF-game, most likely.

Graphics cost, yes. But SE now have a multiplatform current gen HD engine running (White Engine). Just using this engine alone will save heaps of money. FF XIII took so long and will be reported as being very expensive in part because of this engine; now that it's done future games running on it will be able to come out more quickly and won't cost nearly as much as the front runner.

Around the Network
tedsteriscool said:
Majin-Tenshinhan said:

That doesn't really help though, because no matter how many people played the game, Square only profit from the ones who paid for it. Piracy is not an excuse - I'm sure a lot of people downloaded the game, but many of those probably wouldn't have bought the game to begin with. I'm a pirate (though not really when it comes to games), and if I got blocked off from downloading something I probably wouldn't get it anyway, because I only downloaded it because I wasn't willing to pay for it.

Putting that aside, you know graphics are what cost, right? Concept Art, Story Design and all that already being done really doesn't change much at all. The graphics are what costs, especially since it's HD which ramps up the costs greatly. Development budget of a FFVII remake would be near identical to that of a regular FF-game, most likely.

Graphics cost, yes. But SE now have a multiplatform current gen HD engine running (White Engine). Just using this engine alone will save heaps of money. FF XIII took so long and will be reported as being very expensive in part because of this engine; now that it's done future games running on it will be able to come out more quickly and won't cost nearly as much as the front runner.

Yeah, but why make FF7 remake with this engine when they can make FF15 with it and save heaps of money on that instead?

Majin-Tenshinhan said:
tedsteriscool said:
Majin-Tenshinhan said:

Yeah, but why make FF7 remake with this engine when they can make FF15 with it and save heaps of money on that instead?

Reward > Risk.

FF VII is proven to be immensely popular. FF XV could be a swing-and-miss.

tedsteriscool said:
Majin-Tenshinhan said:
tedsteriscool said:
Majin-Tenshinhan said:

Reward > Risk.

FF VII is proven to be immensely popular. FF XV could be a swing-and-miss.

I see it the other way around. Remakes aren't as popular as one might think, even if the first game was. A new entry into the franchise would easily prove more profitable. I refer to my earlier post, my expectations for a FFVII remake would be somewhere around 4-5 million (which is absolutely fantastic for a remake), but for a brand new FF game 5 million is pretty much the lowest it could possibly sell. There's simply no reason for them to remake FF7 on a HD system when it costs so much, and especially when this is current hardware we're dealing with. Why make a FF7 remake and make $30 million when you can make FF15 with the same costs and make $80 million?*

* Numbers completely made up on the spot, they're probably nowhere near what they would actually make, just trying to illustrate my point.

Majin-Tenshinhan said:

I see it the other way around. Remakes aren't as popular as one might think, even if the first game was. A new entry into the franchise would easily prove more profitable. I refer to my earlier post, my expectations for a FFVII remake would be somewhere around 4-5 million (which is absolutely fantastic for a remake), but for a brand new FF game 5 million is pretty much the lowest it could possibly sell. There's simply no reason for them to remake FF7 on a HD system when it costs so much, and especially when this is current hardware we're dealing with. Why make a FF7 remake and make $30 million when you can make FF15 with the same costs and make $80 million?*

* Numbers completely made up on the spot, they're probably nowhere near what they would actually make, just trying to illustrate my point.

But you can't. There's no feasible way their dvelopment costs would be the same.

Around the Network

Who says they refuse to remake it?

They showed the tech demo (AKA the thing that made pepole want the remake) after they began developing FF13, Versus and Agito, Versus and 13 teams are their "big teams", and they NEED those teams to make a HD game.

Maybe after FF13 we'll see them working on the remake...

Bet with Dr.A.Peter.Nintendo that Super Mario Galaxy 2 won't sell 15 million copies up to six months after it's release, the winner will get Avatar control for a week and signature control for a month.

tedsteriscool said:
Majin-Tenshinhan said:

But you can't. There's no feasible way their dvelopment costs would be the same.

Actually, I can. Not identical, sure, but the graphics, character modeling, enviroments... Those are the things that cost the real cash. And those would most likely be the same if it were a FF7 remake or a completely new game. Hiring an artist for concept art, composing new music, writing up a story ... Costs for these things aren't even in the same ballpark.

dude you just have to forget about it and have new fresh games better, if you like the game too much just play it , no need for a remake!
we want new ones and new ones are good!

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

Severance said:
dude you just have to forget about it and have new fresh games better, if you like the game too much just play , no need for a remake!
we want new ones and new ones are good!

This is what I mean, a lot of people agree with Severance on this. Personally, I don't know if I would buy a remake. Maybe. But the fact remains, it would not do close to the numbers that FF7 did ... And honestly, rightly so. We already have FF7. We don't need FF7 again.

i will and need a FF 7 Remake =)

March came FF13, jippiiii!!! And next week FF13 for PS3 in Japan =)

the best RPG's are coming 2013 !!!! oh my god, this is perfect for RPG-GAMER = ) Ni No Kuni - 25 january, Time and Eternity, tales of xillia (PS3) and the maybe best game ever: metal gear solid ground zero