By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Dragon Age: Origins and how badly I hate it

Solid_Raiden said:
I don't see why it's a bad thing to have learned a thing or two from Oblivion and become a better game because of it. Time and time again I go back to a game that I loved and cherished and put up on a pedestal as some amazing experiance but then when I go back it's hard for me to have fun with the game anymore because of all the improvements that have been made in gaming today. DA:O plays like a last gen game. I expect better. Games should grow, learn from games that push gaming forward and become a better game because of it. People defending Bioware's unability to grow and evolve with this title only remind me of racist old white people in the south fighting change when african americans were fighting for their rights. It's survival of the fittest and I refuse to spend my money on crap that play like a game that was good years ago and which I just can't turn back to and enjoy anymore. I'm really hoping ME2 is as incredible as I'm hoping it is because Bioware has done nothing but dissapoint me this generation.

like I said in my last post Dragon age is Biowares last Huragh for this style of game it is meant to hark back to an earlyer time it is not supposed to be "next gen" like Mass effect and the old republic the style of game Bioware think is the future of gaming.

I do agree that games should learn from each other and aim to be as good as possible but Dragon Age was a gift for the old Bioware fans. whether right or wrong this game is meant to be an old school Bioware RPG, with it's tactical battles ect not a full on action RPG for the expanded audience made up of mostly FPS fans.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Around the Network
zarx said:
Solid_Raiden said:
I don't see why it's a bad thing to have learned a thing or two from Oblivion and become a better game because of it. Time and time again I go back to a game that I loved and cherished and put up on a pedestal as some amazing experiance but then when I go back it's hard for me to have fun with the game anymore because of all the improvements that have been made in gaming today. DA:O plays like a last gen game. I expect better. Games should grow, learn from games that push gaming forward and become a better game because of it. People defending Bioware's unability to grow and evolve with this title only remind me of racist old white people in the south fighting change when african americans were fighting for their rights. It's survival of the fittest and I refuse to spend my money on crap that play like a game that was good years ago and which I just can't turn back to and enjoy anymore. I'm really hoping ME2 is as incredible as I'm hoping it is because Bioware has done nothing but dissapoint me this generation.

like I said in my last post Dragon age is Biowares last Huragh for this style of game it is meant to hark back to an earlyer time it is not supposed to be "next gen" like Mass effect and the old republic the style of game Bioware think is the future of gaming.

I do agree that games should learn from each other and aim to be as good as possible but Dragon Age was a gift for the old Bioware fans. whether right or wrong this game is meant to be an old school Bioware RPG, with it's tactical battles ect not a full on action RPG for the expanded audience made up of mostly FPS fans.

So you are saying Draogn Age was BioWare's last great game?

SHame....

zarx said:
Solid_Raiden said:

And a great gift it is.  Dragon Age and Witcher are my two favorite RECENT RPGs, and I've played a lot of them.

OK, started playing, so far good but I only played one hour. But it shows promise

DA is a very different type of RPG than most action RPG's. The big difference is that there is more strategy in combat than most action rpg's which are 95% hack n slash like Oblivion. The constraints to movement and some of your other complaints are required for strategy to be employed. That is not to say that DA is a stratigests dream, but it is definitly more complex than Oblivion or Fallout if its played the way it was meant to be played (without exploits).

Think of DA, and Baldurs Gate (the original not the abomination that you played) as a midground between traditional JRPG's and games like Oblivion. DA is an exellent game. Not as good as the old Baldurs Gate games, or Planescape but I can understand having to be more mainstream for better sales.

Around the Network

Dragon Age is absolutley the worst game I have played this year.

An utterly poor effort by Bioware, the game was designed specifically for the PC.

There is no excuse, mainstream, sales or whatever, you are delusional if you find this to be an acceptable effort by such a storied developer.

Serious, it's PS2 quality at best

Dragon Age = WGOTY (actually probably Rogue Warrior)

cande4me said:

Dragon Age is absolutley the worst game I have played this year.

An utterly poor effort by Bioware, the game was designed specifically for the PC.

There is no excuse, mainstream, sales or whatever, you are delusional if you find this to be an acceptable effort by such a storied developer.

Serious, it's PS2 quality at best

Dragon Age = WGOTY (actually probably Rogue Warrior)

I beg to differ. That game was the best game to come out since World of Goo hit.

Has the OP ever played a BioWare game before? I think not.

themanwithnoname's law: As an America's sales or NPD thread grows longer, the probabilty of the comment "America = World" [sarcasticly] being made approaches 1.

Some of you understand some of you do not.

I do not like Oblivion, I do not like Fallout 3. Do I think they had some good elements in their game play? Why yes I do. And I felt DA:O would have been significantly better adding in some of those elements whilst keeping its own identity.

Did I like DA:O story and tactical battle style? Yes I did. I know what this game is. But I also know what this game could have been with some modest additions. That is my final say in this :P

You said you wanted jumping

Why is this thread 70 posts long?

*Slaps self for giving it more life*