By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Garcian's Getting a New Console... So What Should I Get?

Okay, here's the facts. I just sold a handful of old, rarer games on eBay (I was a bit sad to see Suikoden 2 go, but I never liked the game much anyway...), and I want to get something gaming-related with the money. Thus far, I've narrowed my choice down to either a PSP Slim or an Xbox 360 (either Arcade or Premium, I'm not sure yet.) Here's the facts:

-Relevant stuff I already own: Wii, PS2, Xbox, DS. I never really play the DS, because it really doesn't have the sort of games that I like (I prefer more "gamery" stuff, as opposed to that handheld's largely casual-oriented content.)

-Stuff I game on: A 23" 720P HDTV with HDMI, combined with a simple 2.1 analog speaker set.

-I'm not interested in online gaming - I much prefer the "get a bunch of friends and a couch" approach to multiplayer - but downloadable content does appeal to me.

-Games I like: Shooters, action games, platformers, survival horror, strategy RPGs, any other "unusual" RPGs (think Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne as opposed to Final Fantasy.)

-I'm not interested in a PS3. It's too expensive, and it doesn't really have much that I want to play on it.

So, O VGChartz, I ask you to impart your wisdom to me: what should I buy?

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Around the Network

You appear to leave yourself 2 options, a 360 and a PSP. Seeing as you're asking for a console, that would make it the 360.

I am confused as to why you started this topic. That or you think people will say get a dreamcast or something.

See Ya George.

"He did not die - He passed Away"

At least following a comedians own jokes makes his death easier.

Considering you want to sit on a couch and play with friend........

That leads me to believe you want/should get, a X360.

IMO, I'd get a Premium if you an afford the extra $70. You'll get 2 great games, an that 20gb HDD will come in handy with the DLC and freebie games.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

I'd go for the 360 over the PSP slim. I was going to get a slim but those things are way to expensive.

Plus. Mass effect should rule. The PSP does seem to have some great SRPGs. But it just seems way to expensive for what it does.

360 has some great games out and coming out too. As much as I am a huge fan of SRPGs(my favorite genre actually) i'd go the way of the 360.

mrstickball said:

IMO, I'd get a Premium if you an afford the extra $70. You'll get 2 great games, an that 20gb HDD will come in handy with the DLC and freebie games.

Would he really have given any other answer? :D

It does sound however from the "bunch of friends on a couch" line that the 360 might really be best suited to you. So I agree with mrstickball in that regard.

I think the main question you should be asking yourself is:

Do I want a home console/or a handheld?

Around the Network
Dallinor said:
mrstickball said:

Would he really have given any other answer? :D

It does sound however from the "bunch of friends on a couch" line that the 360 might really be best suited to you. So I agree with mrstickball in that regard.

I think the main question you should be asking yourself is:

Do I want a home console/or a handheld?

Good question. I suppose a home console, since I really don't gme "on the go" much. So, it sounds like I should go the 360 route, and perhaps for the Premium. 

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

The 360 for 350 Premium bundle seems like a good deal this holiday.

Try before you buy. Get some hardware time on both, either in store demos or from a friend, and see which appeals to you more.

The PSPslim is a great console, and does have some nifty games, but handheld gaming isn't for everyone. Some people like it, some detest it. The 360 has some fine games, though previous models had reliability issues - I think the newer models are much better built, though, so you should be fine.

PSP is a poor man's games console, and a poor man's entertainment machine. Get the 360 - it beats PSP in both those areas.

Trust me: everyone I know has not played PSP in a long time. 

Right. You want to try before you buy.

Either way, now is the time to buy with the Slim and the Falcon X360 redesigns.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.