By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Falcon Disected: Actually does reduce the heat, and voltage significantly

From http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2007/1101/xbox360.htm:

They disected the Falcon/HDMI Xbox 360 that is now being sold in Japan (the VP/FM2 bundle).

Their findings show that the Falcon CPU, and the various addons reduce the watt usage of the X360 by upto 1/3rd, or 50 watts in every area of the X360 usage (from about 150watts to 100watts).

Not only this, core temperature while running has been reduced by 10*, from about 120* (f) to under 110* (f).

So for those wondering if RROD will happen on Falcon HDMI's: it seems very unlikely. Also, with such a drastic reduction in wattage, one can just assume when Jasper comes out, what will happen. I'd definately advocate the likelyhood of a full X360 redesign, as the huge external power brick *probably* wouldn't be needed to transform so much wattage, and probably would wind up with a smaller, laptop-like brick.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network

Cool, I've had mine since Feb 06 with a production date of christmas day (dec 25, 05) and it still hasn't messed up. Pissing me off, maybe t3h awesomeness of Mass Effect will make it blow up so I can get the Falcon stuff in it. Although winter is coming...the extra heat might keep the room temp up.

Completed XBLA: 16 / 32
Completed Retail: 17 / 64
GS Completion %: 82.63%

Who knows.

Either way, by merely going 65nm for the CPU, and having a savings of 50 watts is rather significant.

One can only wonder what the watt usage will be after the 65nm GPU.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

120 to 110f? I was hoping for some more drastic improvements, ad some dust in the mix, some worn bearings in the fans and after a few months or up to 1.5 years of usage and there's the RROD again. Temperatures have to drop more then this to make a lasting impact. Not trying to make some pathetic 360 bashing comment btw, just pointing out the facts.

PSN name: Gazz1979 (feel free to add me, but please put your Vgchartz name in the message!)

Battlefield 2: Gazz1979

Not to mention the financial savings........ Not just the immediate lower-cost parts, and the efficiency gains, but the repair savings. If Microsoft could deliver price cuts and bundles after a one million dollar repair bill, imagine what it could do next time without that bill.........

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network

110 its still a lot .This will reduce the RROD incidencies but wont solve them all .

Incorrect Gazz. As long as its below whatever temperature the components bend at (and MS would make sure it is this time), any hint of large-scale RRod will stop.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

110 its still a lot .This will reduce the RROD incidencies but wont solve them all .

Diomedes1976 said:

I was pointing out that with such a small decrease temperatures will be at critical levels soon with some dust added or some bad fan bearings.

PSN name: Gazz1979 (feel free to add me, but please put your Vgchartz name in the message!)

Battlefield 2: Gazz1979

Diomedes1976 said:

So you're not just a sales expert, but also a hardware expert?

Either show us some expert's defense of that claim, or stop trying to look like one.

PS: mrstickball, just a slight correction - voltage didn't decrease, power usage did. Voltage is measured in Volts, power is measured in Watts.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957