By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Decline of 2D games

@OP: You can misguidedly lament the loss of 2d gaming all you want, or you could support the good 2d games out there now. May I suggest Aquaria?

NSMBWii came out recently, Megaman 10 was just announced today, and PixelJunk Shooter comes out this month. This year alone we've already seen some excellent 2d games: PixelJunk Eden Encore, Scribblenauts, Patapon 2, Shadow Complex, LittleBigPlanet PSP, Trine, and Trials HD. Those are off the top of my head, I'm sure I missed a few. I'm usually not one to spout off lists, but you're kinda deluding yourself if you think 2d is in decline, especially from last generation.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

Around the Network

Im not saying it's starting to decline now, Im saying it's declined since the N64 era, and that it's been pretty constant albeit slow. Of course there's good 2D games being made, just like back then, but the advancement has been BS.

I shouldn't have said decline. I shoudve just said that it's not being advanced as much as 3D, or something.. you know what I mean.

Megaman zeros were being made fore quite a while, so I dont see how megaman 10 is a counter. people like 2d megaman too much for capcom to screw up and ditch it.

O-D-C said:
Mega Man 10 was announced today

This.

It was in major decline until last gen, where it was almost non-existant. This gen it is clearly increasing, and like I said, after NSMBWii, I don't think we've seen the last of them. I particularly like the old 8-bit, 16-bit style making a comeback, like mega man 9,10, contra, gradius rebirth...keep'em coming. Donkey Kong Country next :) (I wish)

Wind Shlavitor said:
Im saying it's starting to decline now, Im saying it's declined since the N64 era, and that it's been pretty constant. Of course there's good 2D games being made, just like back then.

I agree...but it hit the low point around 2004 and 2D has been slowly coming back out to play. Contra:Shatered soldier and Gradius V started the renesance on PS2 by mixing 2D with 3D visials. Like street Fighter 4. Yeah its 3D in visuals but its got 2D gameplay. Kinda like Castle Crashers is 2D with 3D gameplay...

2D games are some of my favourite games of all time. Castlevania for example and the disgrace they have put the series through after making it 3D...everyone involved in making 3D castlevanias should all get 30 whip lashes. :)

But not all is bad for that series, Wiiware is getting a Casltevania Rebirth title, and already has a 2D contra released which was cool.

So I don't think the state of 2D gaming is all that bad. It will never sell like it did back in the day, but do we really need it to be mainstream?

Around the Network
disolitude said

So I don't think the state of 2D gaming is all that bad. It will never sell like it did back in the day, but do we really need it to be mainstream?

We don't need to, but I know a lot who sure want to. Are you satisfied with the few classic series' that have kept their 2D? I like Castlevania and all that, but wouldn't you want to see more and different kinds of possibilities with 2D? I have so many ideas and see so many possibilities for 2D, that I want it to be mainstream and have more kinds come out. If I had the resources and time to make games, I'd make some myself.

All I'm trying to get to, is that people like 2D, and the gaming industry isn't exploiting 2D, and so we need to ask for more 2D, and not just stay with the old series. Do you know why thoses series' can't make the leap to 3D? it's because they're known for the fun 2D, and fan reproach was too much so they went back to 2D. Castlevania tried 3D and failed, so did megaman, and so did Sonic, and that's because people know what they liked about those games, and 3D just didnt feel the same. I think most people don't realize the potential of 2D, and until they see more kinds coming out, they wont go.. ooooh, so it wasn't just those games or the nostalgia, 2D really is awesome. So im saying to ask for beyond mario, sonic, and the traditional games.

Little Big Plant was a big help to see a bit more potential, and now I want gamers to try and look beyond and ask for even more, because I dont think that at this pace 2D is coming back on the scene that great; i think old titles will keep their 2D, on the wii and ds mostly, while the huge resources and advancements from the mainstream will be in 3D on the ps3 and 360. I have a ps3, and I want Braids and Blazblues, but I want even more.

So, with that in mind. All people need to do is realize that they like 2D, and that it's not necessarily making a comeback, except for traditional titles, especially when you look at where the top gaming industries are taking us. If you don't fully agree but still like 2D, there's no harm in trying to promote more 2D :)

@Wind Shlavitor

I think the only voting power we have is with our $$$. Sonic failed in 3D over and over...and it sold at first but now not so much. Hence Sega is scrambling for a 2D sonic as we speak. If that sells we will surely see another one.

While Im all up for 2d renesance, I dont want the market to get saturated and repetitive like it did by the end of the 16 bit generation. I like the fact that 2D games like Braid, little big planet and Splosion man have some real innovation and are truly great games. To be honest, I don't think there is enogh original ideas in the undustry to bring 2D back to the forefront of gaming.