By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy XIII Famitsu Review

I have to wonder about reviewers falling for the hype engine. After FF X and XII, I feel I am rightfully skeptical about the game. However, if the praise is widespread and long lasting, I will be happy to pick it up new at full price (which I don't do very often).

Around the Network
ZenfoldorVGI said:
One thing is that when Bayonetta got a 40/40 it didn't mean shit, and Famitsu sucked, and I must be joking to be happy about the damn score, because Famitsu reviews mean less than nothing.

And then, those same fanboys claim that FFXIII getting a 39/40 is somehow a negative reflection on the game.

Will someone, anyone, please explain that to me. It's pretty much most of you here, so I want to hear it. Why does it mean nothing to Bayonetta, but something to Final Fantasy XIII?

I'd speculate that because Famitsu hands out "so many" perfect scores lately, those cease to mean anything. I would retort that most of those games changed gaming to some extent, and that there are VERY few games that have EVER recieved a perfect score(isn't it about 13 of them?) from the magazine ever, and that it is still impossibly hard to get a perfect score from that magazine, as FFXIII has shown. You need a lot of luck. The magazine isn't a single score. It's 4 differing opinions about the same game, and no matter how good your game is, you have to be damn lucky for 4 different assholes to think it's perfect all at once.

I am amazed, after the Bayonetta reaction, that people who hate this magazine, are pretending that this matters to them. A M A Z E D at the level of hypocrisy and malevolence that takes to pull off.

perhaps it's like the Persian carpet syndrome.

The genuine article will always have a slight flaw purposely crafted into it, because they believe only one power can create perfection.

That means that FFXIII is the real deal while those other 40's are just...well...fake Persian carpets.

I guess

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

Gilgamesh said:

Dissapointed!

Not happy with this at all.

Are you still disappointed?

Why are people complaining that FF XIII did not get a perfect score when they haven't even played it yet? Does any one else agree with me that the whole game review system is broken. I think they should get rid of the score at the end of reviews. You never hear movie geeks argue about scores for movies, because movie reviews rarely have a score, and if they do it's a 4 or 5 star scale. Some people only look at the number and not the actual review. The numerical score is just something for geeks like us to fight over on the internet.

WiiU Network ID:  the_Ultros

PSN: Anthaleigh

Xbxox Live:  campblood1980

Waiting for Dengeki.

Looking forward to: FF Versus XIII / LBP2 / The Last Guardian / Yakuza 4 / ICO Collection

Around the Network

A 9? I guess the check didn't clear in time.

Jin_Shihouin said:

Does anyone know why there have been no Dengeki scores popping up in a while?
Haven't seen one for Bayonetta, NSMB WII, etc.

Would like to know what they would give FFXIII as compared to Famitsu.

Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.

I know they reviewed Demon's Souls and gave it a much better score than Famitsu.

That's my issue with Famitsu these days.  The only games that get high scores are games from publishers Famitsu has big marketing deals with.  The rest are often underscored quite heavily.  Famitsu gave Demon's Souls a 29/40, while Dengeki gave it something like 95/85/85/80.  Meanwhile the Last Remnant got a 38/40.  Yeah, it totally deserved that.

I think Final Fantasy XIII will be a great game (I already have it pre-ordered), but there's no way in hell I'm trusting a Famitsu score.  Five years ago they were actually somewhat reliable.

Lost Odyssey got 36/40 from Famitsu.
Blue Dragon 38/40.

Last Remnant was a disaster for their credibilty of course. The biggest one.

I checked some Japanese sites. Looks like it'll take a while for the Dengeki FFXIII score to come out (17th apparently).

Looking forward to: FF Versus XIII / LBP2 / The Last Guardian / Yakuza 4 / ICO Collection

makingmusic476 said:
Jin_Shihouin said:

Does anyone know why there have been no Dengeki scores popping up in a while?
Haven't seen one for Bayonetta, NSMB WII, etc.

Would like to know what they would give FFXIII as compared to Famitsu.

Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.

I know they reviewed Demon's Souls and gave it a much better score than Famitsu.

That's my issue with Famitsu these days.  The only games that get high scores are games from publishers Famitsu has big marketing deals with.  The rest are often underscored quite heavily.  Famitsu gave Demon's Souls a 29/40, while Dengeki gave it something like 95/85/85/80.  Lost Odyssey also scored pretty low, if I recall correctly, while the Last Remnant got a 38/40.  Yeah, it totally deserved that.

I think Final Fantasy XIII will be a great game (I already have it pre-ordered), but there's no way in hell I'm trusting a Famitsu score.  Five years ago they were actually somewhat reliable.

Wow, such a low score for Demon's Souls, I didn't even know that  

I guess they aren't fans of the entire system of Demon's Souls, even though we should compare it's score to what the King's Fields games got in the past *Starts looking around the interwebz*

OT - As I said, there's no problem with the score, I know most people was expecting a perfect score from them, but If you look at all scores for FF games, you'll see that the only one who had a perfect score was FFXII (and don't start saying it didn't deserve it, for the 10000000th time).

Everyone who was expecting the game will still enjoy it and have a blast, it's Final Friggin Fantasy people XD

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Man I cant wait til it hits the states!!!!

I'm going to be so broke in 2010.

*Al Bundy's My Hero*

*Al Bundy For President*

Waiting On GT7!!!

PSN ID: Acidfacekiller