By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - You know, Twilight Princess is pretty great still.

Khuutra said:
r505Matt said:
Khuutra said:

You have two choices:

1. Take the time to relax, smell the roses, and acquaint yourself with the setting and the characters.

2. Don't play it.

Stating things in absolute terms is usually anathema to me, but those are your only options.

Or 3. Since I'm already acquainted with the setting and characters, get my roomate or a friend to get through the intro for me.

Saying those are my only options is fairly short-sighted, is it not?

That falls under option 2.

No, I think he has a fair point.  You and a few other people in this thread are falling under the category of 'well if you don't agree with my view of the game, you're wrong'.  And you're description of 'there's only 2 ways to enjoy the game' pretty much describes that perfectly.

There isn't one way to enjoy ANYTHING.  A person can still enjoy Twilight Princess while still accepting it has some flaws or even thinking its not as good of a Zelda game as many others.  And just claiming you shouldn't play it if you don't 'savor' it is pretty pompous and I would say ignorant on the opposite side of the coin that you're trying to portray him to be on.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Around the Network

What I really liked were the caves. All those caves to explore. Some were immediate deadends, but others were minidungeons in their own right. The first time I entered the big cave by the lake I ran out of lantern oil and had to leave it was so big.

"Now, a fun game should always be easy to understand - you should be able to take one look at it and know what you have to do straight away. It should be so well constructed that you can tell at a glance what your goal is and, even if you don’t succeed, you’ll blame yourself rather than the game. Moreover, the people standing around watching the game have also got to be able to enjoy it." - Shiggy

A Koopa's Revenge II gameplay video

Kenryoku_Maxis said:
Khuutra said:

No, I think he has a fair point.  You and a few other people in this thread are falling under the category of 'well if you don't agree with my view of the game, you're wrong'.  And you're description of 'there's only 2 ways to enjoy the game' pretty much describes that perfectly.

There isn't one way to enjoy ANYTHING.  A person can still enjoy Twilight Princess while still accepting it has some flaws or even thinking its not as good of a Zelda game as many others.  And just claiming you shouldn't play it if you don't 'savor' it is pretty pompous and I would say ignorant on the opposite side of the coin that you're trying to portray him to be on.

....Buh? I'm doing nothing of the kind. I'm saying htat getting someone to play that part of the game for you falls under not playing that part of the game. I'm not understanding the perceived ambiguity here.

I never said he shouldn't play it, simply that those are his only two options. They're the only two options anyone has, period, if the beginning of the game makes them impatient enough to put it down.

I think it fair to say that you are misreading my tone and have been doing so for well over half of this topic.

burgerstein said:
What I really liked were the caves. All those caves to explore. Some were immediate deadends, but others were minidungeons in their own right. The first time I entered the big cave by the lake I ran out of lantern oil and had to leave it was so big.

OH MAN I just got to my first cave today. I explored every branch in it. It was great.

I think I'm going to need to go and refill my lantern oil periodically.

Khuutra said:
Kenryoku_Maxis said:
Khuutra said:

....Buh? I'm doing nothing of the kind. I'm saying htat getting someone to play that part of the game for you falls under not playing that part of the game. I'm not understanding the perceived ambiguity here.

I never said he shouldn't play it, simply that those are his only two options. They're the only two options anyone has, period, if the beginning of the game makes them impatient enough to put it down.

I think it fair to say that you are misreading my tone and have been doing so for well over half of this topic.

You know, I think the problem was misinterpretation/miscommunication. I thought (and I think Kenryoku thought too) that you meant I shouldn't play the game at all, but you really meant that I can either man up and deal with that section, or not play that section; you weren't referring to the whole game. Is that right?

That just wasn't how I first read your response before.

Around the Network
r505Matt said:
Khuutra said:

You know, I think the problem was misinterpretation/miscommunication. I thought (and I think Kenryoku thought too) that you meant I shouldn't play the game at all, but you really meant that I can either man up and deal with that section, or not play that section; you weren't referring to the whole game. Is that right?

That just wasn't how I first read your response before.

Well yeah, basically, though I don't llike to use the phrase "man up" here. The section is very slow-paced and relaxed, but that doesn't mean that it's easy or that you have an obligation to play through it as the designers hav intended, and it doesn't reflect poorly on you if you can't play it because it bores you. That's not your fault.

God no I would never say you shouldn't play the whole game

The whole game is pretty great, if you like Zelda's dungeons

ClaudeLv250 said:
Beat Snowpeak Ruins. That ice block puzzle eluded me for 20 minutes my first time through but I breezed through it this time. Now I'm doing a couple of sidequests before I go to the Temple of Time. I compeltely forgot where/how you get bigger wallets.

Agitha.

Yeha, I figured that out. I had already captured most of the bugs but didn't realize that I hadn't given a single one to Agitha. I think that I was holding on to them for those moments where you really need a lot of rupees and just forgot about it after not playing for awhile.

I'm in the City in the Sky now and am still discovering treasure in Hyrule Field that I never came across in my first game. Breezing through faster than I imagined I would.

I may have to play Wind Waker again after this. I never finished that second playthrough either.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"